IEM replacement for old Super.Fi Studio3s?
Oct 8, 2009 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kb1gra

100+ Head-Fier
For the past four years I've been using some UE Super.Fi Studio3 as my portable IEMs. They've held up to my abuse remarkably well considering I hear a lot of people had problems with the cables for these.

That said, I think it's coming to be time to retire them, and I'm looking for a suitable replacement.

My criteria are:
1) under $350
2) must fit OVER the ear, no IEMs designed to hang straight down. Doesn't work for the situations in which I wear these.
3) Preferably, I'd like to not go with Shure as I really did not like my shure e2c or e3c that I had prior to these UEs.

I'm wondering if I should stretch my budget and just go for customs, like the JH5. I have small ears and the one problem with these UEs has been that they do not stay in my ears even with Comply foams (though at the time, Comply tips only came in one size).

Any suggestions for a good IEM replacement that meets the above criteria, or should I just bite the bullet and go custom?

Thanks!

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm not sure jumping to customs is the best idea. UE are infamous for their terrible fit in small ears, or any ears for that matter. Please list your music and audio preferences (hiphop and mid range for instance).

Off the top of my head: Head-direct RE0, sennheiser IE7/IE8, Sleek Audio SA6, Klipsch X10/Custom 3, JVC HP-FX500, Etymotic ER4s, or Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 10
I listen to probably 60% electronic, 35% rock, 5% hip hop. I would prefer a sound signature most compatible with electronic.

Is the Sleek Audio SA6 the same driver that's in the CT6 custom?

I tried ER4s and they proved to be a little too accurate for some of my MP3s, some of which are ripped from vinyl and are not the best quality but still totally listenable with a not-perfectly-accurate phone.

My concern with the Triple.fi is it is constructed almost exactly the same as these that don't fit in my ears. For that much I want to find a better fit.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 10
There aren't all that many universals with around-ear memory cables. UE is out, because you don't like the fit.

Shure is out, because you didn't like previous experiences with them.

i can't think of anything with memory cables... the PL-50 has wire guides to go around the ear...

I'd go JH5 (i am actually. next week sending impressions in).

Stay away from LiveWires. I just got out of a rather unpleasant experience myself, and i would not in good conscience advise anyone towards them.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There aren't all that many universals with around-ear memory cables. UE is out, because you don't like the fit.

Shure is out, because you didn't like previous experiences with them.

i can't think of anything with memory cables... the PL-50 has wire guides to go around the ear...

I'd go JH5 (i am actually. next week sending impressions in).

Stay away from LiveWires. I just got out of a rather unpleasant experience myself, and i would not in good conscience advise anyone towards them.

Well, if I were to go custom it would be JH5s, CT6 Auras (I admit, the glowing is appealing), or Unique Melody. I've never spent that much for customs but the Unique Melody Mage is appealing at about $575USD...

I can't find much about the Ct6 beyond people not liking that it's single driver...so I guess that leaves me the JH5?

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif

An over-the-ear fit doesn't necessarily require memory cables.

I think the ATH-CK10 deserve consideration here, as they are absolutely tiny, very comfortable, and can compete on sound with the best universals.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if I were to go custom it would be JH5s, CT6 Auras (I admit, the glowing is appealing), or Unique Melody. I've never spent that much for customs but the Unique Melody Mage is appealing at about $575USD...

I can't find much about the Ct6 beyond people not liking that it's single driver...so I guess that leaves me the JH5?

That is pretty much how i reached that conclusion.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An over-the-ear fit doesn't necessarily require memory cables.

I think the ATH-CK10 deserve consideration here, as they are absolutely tiny, very comfortable, and can compete on sound with the best universals.

X2, the CK10 is a great nominate for what you need. They are more simliar to UE's sound signature compared to Shure, also have a great representation for the audio preference of yours. It's a good choice.

Going Customs is also a good path, but it is pricey and should be a choice only if you decide that you won't be changing your monitors anytime soon. The JH5 is a great choice considering it's very affordable at $399. Will have to listen more to give any thoughts on the Mage.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Yikes. $400 for the CK10. For that I could just go straight to custom and be sure they'll fit.

They seem to have a "street" price around $190 but it's never clear who is a legit AT dealer and who isn't.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back