IEM recommendations?
Feb 19, 2008 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MarX740

New Head-Fier
Alright, new to actual quality headphones and was just hoping to get some insight on a few things.

I've had what I think are Sony MDR-EX71's(Came with SE W810i) and have found them to be quite good aside from having little response on the midrange and I find the volume needs to be higher than I'd like personally. I do have an affinity for bass and so long as it doesn't take away too much from the other spectrum's I like my bass as strong as it can be. Recently purchased the HX33's and I can't say I find them appealing at all. I personally find the sound far too bright and the bass response far from optimal(cracking on bass-heavy tracks ie Massive Attack-Angel)
Have had them burning in with pink noise and it has helped make them less harsh but the foam tips don't seem to agree with my ears so I'm looking for something that will be a bit better without breaking the bank.

Looking to spend no more than $75 or so(will go used/ebay if need be)
Basic requirements- Good range(sub-20hz to about 22khz or so) Good isolation, Comfort, Build quality and price.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 8
I think the Metro.fi 2 will fit your bill quite nicely. Great bass, but not muddy.

It is a canal phone so it does not have as much isolation as a true IEM, but it definitely blocks outside noise.

Very comfortable if you use the right tips. (Some people find the included ones to be stiff).

Build quality is superb. You will not break these.

And they are only $58.00 shipped:

UE Metro.fi 2

P.S. stay away from the super.fi 3 suggestions. The lack of bass will leave you wanting.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 8
Hey DKaz, what kind of tips have proven more successful?

I think I'm gonna screw around with different kinds. See if my Vibe tips fit first.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. stay away from the super.fi 3 suggestions. The lack of bass will leave you wanting.

DKaz - Although the bass of the SF3 is definitely not for bassheads, it absolutely destroys the bass (and every other aspect) of the EX71.
smily_headphones1.gif

OP, if you want really strong bass, don't go for the SF3. If you want a more balanced sound with clear treble I would check out the SF3.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely take a look at the metro's(was actually considering the SF3's too)
Infoflatlines:What would you suggest then? The MF2's?

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the Metro 2 or the SF3 have a reported response below 20 Hz, and for bassheads, neither would win IMO. I have heard that the CX300 has a ton of bass. Also maybe check out the Goldring GX200.

Considering that the human ear can not hear below 20Hz, I don't think that going below that mark is a need.

A buddy of mine just picked up the Goldrings and they do best the Metro.fi 2 in bass apparently. He did not comment on other sonic qualities though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back