IEM Recommendations - Sub Bass/Bass - EDM + Hip Hop - Any Budget
Aug 23, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #16 of 19
Lots of good choices, wish I could audition them.
From reviews, it seems like Sony IER Z1R might be worth considering.
EE has the Odin but bass is apparently less enhanced than Legend X.
MMR Thummim maybe?

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #17 of 19
EDM? Z1R, CE-5, and Legend X are all pretty good for that.

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #18 of 19
My vote is Empire Ears Valkyries I have never heard EDM sound better with anything else. Amazing!

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #19 of 19
Based on what you are looking for, I second the Sony XBA-Z5 or the cheaper XBA-N3, and the Beyerdynamic Xelento (or Astell & Kern T8iE MKII)
(A real bass cannon with incredible dynamics would be the DUNU Luna if you apply a tiny piece of micropore tape to the front vent...)
Or for the bass-head TOTL, the Sony IER-Z1R is outstanding, but it's a big IEM and many people have issues getting a good fit.

I have had the T8iE and the Sony EX800, still have the EX1000. Had the Moondrop Kanas Pro (big bass, but quite slow, not much texture)
Also listened to the XBa models, listened a lot to the Z1R, tested the Luna...

Xelento and T8iE are more V-shaped, with very high clarity despite the big bass emphasis
EX800 and EX1000 have excellent bass quality and extension and good quantity, but are not really bass head IEMs (unmodded). I prefer the EX1000 by a big margin, sold the EX800
Luna with tape mod is really bassy, and the Beryllium driver has excellent dynamics, energy and sounds extremely engaging (made me tap my feet better than anything I heard)
The Sony IER-Z1R is amazing - bottomless, powerful sub bass, feels like the "Dolby THX" sound they play in the movie theatre! One of the best IEMs overall, huge soundstage, energetic, detailed... Only 2 weaknesses, slightly recessed mids and the fit...

Lots of choices at different price.
Best value IMO are the Sony EX1000 (and my modded JVC FD02, but not sure if that has enough bass for you)

EDIT:
the CHORD Mojo is a great DAC/Amp and it's power and control make a pretty significant difference with some of the IEMs. The EX1000 for example has much mroe authority with the Mojo compared to my other (cheap) sources. It also stacks perfectly with the R3. I have been using thispair with a 3D printed case and transport box for a year and love it. 11212138_thumb.jpg

11237644_thumb.jpeg
11237648_thumb.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back