IEM Recommendations - Sub Bass/Bass - EDM + Hip Hop - Any Budget
Feb 9, 2020 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hentype

New Head-Fier
I've been enjoying the IEM hunt, I have a whole bunch that I like but still actively looking for something truly fantastic for me. I have quite the collection so far trying to aim for the "V" fun shape with emphasized bass. I'm looking at the EX1000 and EX800ST as those seem like they have some serious sub bass / bass but I am also very happy with the amount of quality chifi available. Any budget but looking for best bang for buck. Current list of what I already own for IEMs below:
  • HiFi Boy OS V3
  • TFZ Tequila, T1, T2
  • Nobyln MY600
  • Campfire Audio Polaris V1
  • Semkarch SKC-CNT1
  • Moondrop Spaceship, Starfield
  • Jade Audio EA3
  • QKZ VK4
  • BLON BL03
  • KZ AS10 KZ ZS3E KZ ZS10 KZ ZSA KZ ZSN KZ ZSN Pro
  • **** V2
  • RevoNext QT2
  • Rock Zircon
  • TRN BA5
  • BGVP DS1
  • Hot **** XBA
  • Sony MH755 ISN H40
  • LKER i8
So I have even more but those are most of em, I don't think all of them fit the bill but. Have been tempted by the Sony IEM's, CA Vegas, Andromedas, Thie Voyager 3s or ideally Voyager 14s. I need some solid sub bass and bass for EDM and Hip Hop but still smooth enough to possible sound decent for other genres but mostly EDM, Electronic, Hip Hop.

I use my IEMs with:
  • SMSL SU-8, THX 789 AAA balanced at home
  • HiBy R3 Pro wth iFi IEMatch for on the go
Have considered getting a chord mojo if i need more power.

Assuming price is no object, what is the best I can look for? I greatly appreciate lots of feedback and opinions, I know there are ton of knowledgeable folk here who have experienced a great deal of items I have not / may never get the chance to try before I buy. I'm very happy with my collection (but I do think i'll be getting rid of some of the lower end models soon).

Please let me know if you have any ideas!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 19
TFZ T2, TFZ No.3, Semkarch CNT1

You'll be pleased, I promise.
only one I don't have is the No.3! i'll have to look up some reviews for it. T2 i felt was a little harsh in the highs be the semkarch are really nice they have a good amount of bass but I need to fiddle with the EQ a bit on them. I'm actually really surprised at how much sub bass there is in the Nobyln MY600.

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 19
Assuming price is no object, what is the best I can look for?

Empire Ears Legend X

Check out some reviews of this IEM. Brilliant for EDM and Hip-Hop.

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 19
TFZ T2, TFZ No.3, Semkarch CNT1

You'll be pleased, I promise.

I second the TFZ No. 3 and CNT1. Subbass quantity and extension is nice for these 2 sets (former has more subbass quantity and extension than the latter with black filters). Though maybe TFZ No. 3 has a bit of a midbass bleed and bloated mid bass, so not the best quality bass. But in terms of sheer absolute quantity of subbass, it is one of the more basshead sets I have heard and with EQ it can provide jaw rattling bass.

My current go to set for EDM is the DUNU DM-480. It is a dual DD but sounds like a multi BA/hybrid in terms of resolution, and hence the technicalities are suitable for EDM and synthetic music unlike some other DD sets that have poorer technicalities (eg BLON BL-03). The DUNU DM-840 has great subbass quality and quantity (linear extension down to the subbass), akin to mini subwoofers in the ear. The midbass is not as prominent but it is speedy and accurate for bass. Quantity of bass is a level shy of basshead levels.
Most IEMs I have that are boosted in bass tend to be narrower in soundstage but the DUNU DM-480 has a wide soundstage despite the great subbass.

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 19
I recently picked up the SE215 and have been really enjoying the negative tilt aspect of them and find the sound isolation with foam tips to be amazing for really tuning out the world.

That being said, does anyone have any good IEM eartip suggestions? I find the foams to start irritating my ears after an hour of wearing them. I have swapped to the included silicone tips but find the sound isolation to be lacking compared to the foams. I've been eyeing the spinfits since those seem to provide good isolation and shouldn't be as bothersome.

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 19
Empire Ears Legend X

Check out some reviews of this IEM. Brilliant for EDM and Hip-Hop.
Agree, a great IEM!!

I will definitely! Thank you for the recommendation!

My current go to set for EDM is the DUNU DM-480.

I'll have to spend some more time with my CNT1's, I do enjoy them but haven't messed around much with any eq or anything so I feel like there is more there i'm not getting to. TFZ No. 3 I will look at more, the T2's are nice and I used them for a while before I purchased a bunch of new pairs. For DUNU, I haven't looked at the 480 but had been reading about at the DK 2001. Will check the 480's out too, thanks!

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 19
I tested my friend's Sony XBA-Z5 paired with ES100 some weeks ago and it was the bass I've heard on IEMs, my previous benchmark was the Kanas Pro but this IEM is just amazing for those genres. I'd give it a try!

Haven't tried the Kanas Pro but I do love my Starfields! I did look into the XBA-Z5 and they look great! They're right up there with EX800ST and EX1000, I'm not sure about all the specifics but based on specs and various reviews I felt like price wise there wasn't anything the XBA's did that the 800ST or 1000's did as good if not better? Maybe I'm wrong here though. 800ST with tape mod for sub bass and 1000 + EQ for overall bass and slightly better general performance was what I got from reading about them. Only downside are those damn cables but I've already looked to find 2 Pin / MMCX adapters haha. Thanks!

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 19
I recently picked up the SE215 and have been really enjoying the negative tilt aspect of them and find the sound isolation with foam tips to be amazing for really tuning out the world.

That being said, does anyone have any good IEM eartip suggestions? I find the foams to start irritating my ears after an hour of wearing them. I have swapped to the included silicone tips but find the sound isolation to be lacking compared to the foams. I've been eyeing the spinfits since those seem to provide good isolation and shouldn't be as bothersome.

Eartips are not an easy rec as everyone has different ear anatomies so what works for one may not work for another.

But in general, foams tend to lower the treble. I'm not really a fan of foams as they take a long time to be inserted (need to roll it), and they disintegrate within a few weeks of use.
And in general for silicone tips, wide bore ones tend to decrease the bass, while narrower bore ones tend to emphasize the bass. Spinfits are longer nozzle tips, so they tend to insert deeper and provide better isolation/fit, but they come in different bore diameters, so check out how wide is your IEM nozzle bore before purchasing the spinfits.

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 19
When I have an urge for bass, I like to grab my Beyerdynamic Xelento. They have a great impact and rumble. Granted, I'm not much of a basshead so I don't use them that much, but they have never disappointed me when I want that visceral bass rumble.

Edit: Forgot to mention that they are on sale on multiple websites so you definitely don't have to pay the MSRP.

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 19
I’m also looking for IEMs with awesome sub bass for epic orchestral production music.
I haven’t been lucky enough to have listened to it and it’s no longer available, but the Hyla CE-5 is considered to have incredible bass and sub bass. A newer model, the Hyla Sarda, also limited numbers, is still available I think. Someone compared the two and it seems that the Sarda has fantastic bass and sub bass but less powerful than the CE-5.
Btw, I have Revonext QT2 as well. I really like the bass and sub bass on that .

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 19
Best sub bass on a kind of iem was the Audeze iSine 10s ran balanced off my 887. Pair this with some foamies and man it's a bessheads heaven.

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 19
Campfire Vegas is a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back