IEM Recommendation - similar to Sony MDR v600 full sized?
Dec 7, 2008 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ItsRy

Banned
Hi all - first time poster here. I don't have much experience with IEMs, but I like high quality phones and I'm looking for something to use while working out and walking to classes.

I have a fairly limited aural history - the best buds that I've owned, which were given to me, were the older model similar to the current Sony MDR-EX75 ($50 cheapish buds with slight ear insertion - borderline IEMs maybe?). I wasn't thrilled with them for several reasons, including the fact that they did not have a great seal with any of the tips that were included but hey, they were free.

For full sized headphones, I started out with Sennheiser HD457s. I liked the phones - they were a lot better than the garbage that I'd used previously. Unfortunately, the cord ended up snapping on those, so I moved on to a Sony MDR-v600. I loved those phones. They were closed-ear, amazing quality (given my limited experience), and very comfortable.

Now I'm looking for an IEM that will give me great sound quality, be durable, usable while working out (lifting, jogging, etc.), and is in the roughly $200-250 range (less expensive is certainly okay as well). I've heard good things about the Shure-e4cs, the W3s (a bit out of my price range, unfortunately), and the UE super.fi 5 eb. I'm a bit on the fence though as to what I should end up going for, and I'm certainly open to other possibilities. Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe links to some great threads that I should have a look at?

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 3
From the Livewire thread, it seems that they're in my price range, high SQ, don't fall out easily, and have replaceable cables. Some posters also said that they have a somewhat bright sound. How involved is the fitting process for them? Can a GP do it or am I looking for an audiologist? I know that customs are supposed to only last a few years, but honestly it seems like most headphones break before then anyway... so that's not so much of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back