IEM Recommendation, please help!
Jul 23, 2012 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

paintedblack

New Head-Fier
Okay, I know it's lame when people don't go through the threads to try to find their answer before they ask, but I'm in a time crunch here.  Most recently I've been using Maximo iMetal 590s (which I bought based on reviews on this forum), which I had a pretty bad experience with (more on that later), and their customer service has failed to replace them under my lifetime warrantee, and now I'm about to leave town for a week-vacation. Need a new pair of earphones stat.  If any of you could give some suggestions, I'd apprecaite it.

A little bit about what I'm looking for:
$70 or less
Decent to awesome noise-cancellation -- half my listening is done walking along busy streets and I like to block out noise from traffic and douchers hasseling me :)
MINIMAL noise from cable (My Maximos had a cloth cable and it's noisy as hell)
Must be readily available in the US
Clear trebles, with bass accentuated but not necessarily pushed -- I don't listen to rap or metal or anything where the bass should be at the forefront. It needs to sit well in the mix.  What I listen to: indie rock, singer/songwriter, indie-folk, classic rock, punk/emo, even some country.  So basically looking for a well-balanced sound; if anything is tweaked/accentuated, I spose it would be a little treble, a little bass.  I just want a nice full-spectrum sound.
(Lately I've been listening to a lot of Ryan Adams, Gaslight Anthem, The Kooks, Arctic Monkeys, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Kings of Leon, for some examples...)

More specifics might come to me later and I can update those, but this should be a good place to start.

Again I'm really sorry to do this without doing much research first, but I figure I really need to order something....today really, if I'm gonna get it in the post by the end of the week.  I really apprecaite any help you guys can provide.

Cheers!

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 11
I've owned the MC5's before and let me tell you they isolate extremely well.  It also helps that the build quality is really good.  It also seems to match your preference of a very neutral and analytical sound.  However the problem I had with them was that the music was a bit too analytical at times which took away from the experience.  But I still think that they are worth the money for your needs.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 11
To update, I guess I'm not looking so much for a flat-response "analytical" sound, but more of a well-balanced, full sound.  WITHOUT muddy, in your face bass.

I would call Etys more accurate than analytical...

But that's just me.

Jim

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 11
So the Etymotic MC5s aren't sounding so bad the more I'm reading.  I'm excited by their providing a more "accurate" representation of the recording (although one must keep in mind that a good producer anticipates their recordings being coloured by the listener's sound system, so a 100% accurate representation of the recording itself, on second thought, might not be a good thing...).  I'm worried about it being too "flat" or lifeless.

Right now I'm looking at the MC5 and the MEElectronics M11+.  Can anyone help me decide? Or suggest something else?

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 11
Jul 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 11
PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back