IEM recommendation for someone new to this hobby
May 29, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #31 of 43
I absolutely plan on getting a great DAP to go with it, just currently I need the IEM far more. I can probably get the DAP in about a month or two. Would the Vega be driven well enough by my phone (S9+)/iPod?
Yeah that should be fine. The Vega scales up with equipment, so when you get a better DAP, get a balanced pure silver cable, and upgrade your music library to minimum FLACs, no MP3s.
For the amount of bass it has, it very very little to no bleed into the mids, the clarity is very nice. You'll appreciate it coming from the T20, which is no slouch of an iem either.

May 29, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #34 of 43
Yeah that should be fine. The Vega scales up with equipment, so when you get a better DAP, get a balanced pure silver cable, and upgrade your music library to minimum FLACs, no MP3s.
For the amount of bass it has, it very very little to no bleed into the mids, the clarity is very nice. You'll appreciate it coming from the T20, which is no slouch of an iem either.
NO!

do you really think you're giving good advice here? a fellow member inquires about IEM on a 500$ budget. in just a few posts, people's suggestions rapidly made him increase his budget, and now you're discussing a 1K+ IEM while already suggesting the next step with a fancy silver cable, balanced DAP. I usually react to the crap about lossy formats, but today I couldn't care less about that. OP came asking for a new IEM for his commute, and here you are dragging him down the rabbit hole with the steady confidence of someone definitely not writing the check at the end.

ok, "welcome to Head-fi! sorry about your wallet" is a rather accurate idiom, but it doesn't mean that you guys have to do your worst to make every new guy spend as much as possible just for the kick of it.

May 29, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #35 of 43
NO!

do you really think you're giving good advice here? a fellow member inquires about IEM on a 500$ budget. in just a few posts, people's suggestions rapidly made him increase his budget, and now you're discussing a 1K+ IEM while already suggesting the next step with a fancy silver cable, balanced DAP. I usually react to the crap about lossy formats, but today I couldn't care less about that. OP came asking for a new IEM for his commute, and here you are dragging him down the rabbit hole with the steady confidence of someone definitely not writing the check at the end.

ok, "welcome to Head-fi! sorry about your wallet" is a rather accurate idiom, but it doesn't mean that you guys have to do your worst to make every new guy spend as much as possible just for the kick of it.
Calm the F down. I am advising him to buy a used iem, that a year ago retailed for 1300 dollars, and is still one of the best iems on the market at any price.
You lost all credibility with me when you started defending mp3s.
If he doesn't like it, he can sell the iem at no loss. And that silver cable from China is 50 bucks.
Jesus, you people know how to overreact. .

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #36 of 43
And if I had a dollar for everytime a new person comes to these forums and is suckered into years of incremental upgrades (the money adds up fast), I'd be a very rich man.
For an extra 150 bucks, he'll have an iem that he will probably never have to upgrade. Iems like the Vega are built to last.

May 30, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #37 of 43
oh now I see the mistakes of my ways...

facts:
- under blind tests, under most circumstances, listening to music at comfortable levels, people fail to consistently identify high bitrate lossy files against lossless files. you decide that you know better because you trust your own guts under poorly controlled conditions, or because some crappy software or settings once created a weird and audible accident(I've had those), good for your ego! but it doesn't change the overwhelming statistical evidence.

- the only way to even be able to decide what is an "upgrade" for ourselves, is to try various things. you're counting an unavoidable process as evidence for your point of view that people waste money and time trying stuff. no cooky for that logical fallacy.

- about money and sound preferences in IEMs. http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2017/02/twirt-337-predicting-headphone-sound_17.html

- silver isn't a magical metal. it has a little better conductivity than copper, so when all the rest is the same(which is rarely the case between cables), you can get a few changes including a tiny bit lower impedance compared to a copper cable that should already have inconsequentially low impedance. even then, the measurable changes, assuming they sometimes end up audible, will depend on the rest of the circuit(amp and IEM), there is no definitive sonic action induced by silver.

- you can go check almost any thread about a given IEM on the forum and you'll find several people saying that this particular IEM is sooooo great. that's the price of subjectivity.

and if you want a funny anecdote, my first purchase after joining Head-fi, was a pair of expensive IEM, a silver cable and a balanced amp(balanced DAPs weren't much of a thing at the time). how ironic is that. I had money, those were the FOTM(although I didn't know FOTM was a thing back then). I saw no issue with getting "the best"(I'm worth it!), as advised by noname dudes who seemed so confident they had to be expert at something(or so it seemed to me at the time). the all package landed me around 2000$. to this day I can't think of a worst audio purchase, and I've purchased a lot of portable crap over the years, still own too many for my needs. as I said, just an anecdote but now maybe you can understand why I do not think that jumping on expensive stuff suggested by an average Joe on the web is the logical and effective way to get good enjoyable gears.
about the original topic, I would instead advise to get a cheap practical IEM right now(there is honestly about as much chances to get lucky and enjoy the sound as with expensive IEMs). and if it's not enough for his needs/desires, I'd suggest to find ways to test various other IEMs so he can learn about his very own preferences and priorities. maybe look for audiophiles in his area and offer to trade experience for a beer on a summer afternoon, or try to go to some store or audio show that may demo IEMs. if he listens to some expensive stuff down the road and loves it, I see no issue with getting a pair and enjoying the hell out of it. but paying a lot for something he knows close to nothing about, that's bad advice and a gamble, no matter how you think you can justify it.

May 30, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #38 of 43
I'm starting to hard lean towards the Vega. Seems like everything I want in an IEM.
The Vega is a nice iem and preferred it to the Atlas myself as I didn’t like how the Atlas felt in my ears and prefer the over the ear cable as well.

May 30, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #40 of 43
oh now I see the mistakes of my ways...

facts:
- under blind tests, under most circumstances, listening to music at comfortable levels, people fail to consistently identify high bitrate lossy files against lossless files. you decide that you know better because you trust your own guts under poorly controlled conditions, or because some crappy software or settings once created a weird and audible accident(I've had those), good for your ego! but it doesn't change the overwhelming statistical evidence.

- the only way to even be able to decide what is an "upgrade" for ourselves, is to try various things. you're counting an unavoidable process as evidence for your point of view that people waste money and time trying stuff. no cooky for that logical fallacy.

- about money and sound preferences in IEMs. http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2017/02/twirt-337-predicting-headphone-sound_17.html

- silver isn't a magical metal. it has a little better conductivity than copper, so when all the rest is the same(which is rarely the case between cables), you can get a few changes including a tiny bit lower impedance compared to a copper cable that should already have inconsequentially low impedance. even then, the measurable changes, assuming they sometimes end up audible, will depend on the rest of the circuit(amp and IEM), there is no definitive sonic action induced by silver.

- you can go check almost any thread about a given IEM on the forum and you'll find several people saying that this particular IEM is sooooo great. that's the price of subjectivity.

and if you want a funny anecdote, my first purchase after joining Head-fi, was a pair of expensive IEM, a silver cable and a balanced amp(balanced DAPs weren't much of a thing at the time). how ironic is that. I had money, those were the FOTM(although I didn't know FOTM was a thing back then). I saw no issue with getting "the best"(I'm worth it!), as advised by noname dudes who seemed so confident they had to be expert at something(or so it seemed to me at the time). the all package landed me around 2000$. to this day I can't think of a worst audio purchase, and I've purchased a lot of portable crap over the years, still own too many for my needs. as I said, just an anecdote but now maybe you can understand why I do not think that jumping on expensive stuff suggested by an average Joe on the web is the logical and effective way to get good enjoyable gears.
about the original topic, I would instead advise to get a cheap practical IEM right now(there is honestly about as much chances to get lucky and enjoy the sound as with expensive IEMs). and if it's not enough for his needs/desires, I'd suggest to find ways to test various other IEMs so he can learn about his very own preferences and priorities. maybe look for audiophiles in his area and offer to trade experience for a beer on a summer afternoon, or try to go to some store or audio show that may demo IEMs. if he listens to some expensive stuff down the road and loves it, I see no issue with getting a pair and enjoying the hell out of it. but paying a lot for something he knows close to nothing about, that's bad advice and a gamble, no matter how you think you can justify it.
Not only can I tell the difference between an MP3 and a Flac file 100% of the time, but I can spot differences, instantly, between Flac files, 24/44, 24/96, 24/192, and DSDs.
My entire library is mostly 24/96 and up.
Also I have 8 different cables in hand with different metals and construction, I can recognize which cable is which blindfolded.
I am sorry you have shot ears, so please do me a favor and stop with your pseudo-science nonsense.

May 30, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #41 of 43
We all said what we had to say. Let's leave the final decision to the person that started this thread, let's not turn this into a pissing match.
If you have other iems that fit his criteria, please chime in.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #43 of 43
For movies or Netflix = CA Vega hands down. That big and deep bass is just so delightful to my ears during action scenes.
For music playback = CA Andromeda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back