IEM recommendation for someone new to this hobby
May 26, 2019 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

xshazzy

Head-Fier
Hi all! Just looking for some advice. I'll preface with the fact that I am quite new but am doing my research as I go along. I have had a pair of RHA T20is for 2 1/2 years and the cable is now starting to fall apart. I really enjoyed the sound of the RHA but can't really analyse the specifics of why. Looking to make a major upgrade now and really grab something I can use for a long time.

Some general info to aid the recommendation process:
  • These IEMs would be used mainly on my commute (5h a day, terrible I know), so isolation needs to be relatively good
  • My source is a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and/or a custom Ipod Classic
  • My budget is around £400/$500

Been looking at a range of Chi-Fi and the Fearless S8F have stuck out to me. I have a few questions based on that:

• Are the S8F suitable for listening to Prog Metal/Edm/Rock (80% prog, 10% edm and 10% rock)

• What other suggestions should I consider? I was looking at the Kanas Pro as well but decided to just go all out and get the best that I can afford with my budget. Which seems to be the S8F.

I'm pretty new to this hobby and trying to inform myself before I drop a ton of money on any IEMs. Thanks in advance to anybody who takes the time to reply and help me out!

May 27, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 43
If isolation is high on your list I would go with a custom IEM. Look at Custom Arts. They have very good customer service, great iems and are relatively affordable.

May 27, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 43
I would strongly suggest sending your impressions as the ciem is better in noise isolation than the universal fit.
I know it's a bit of hassle but in my oppinion it is worth it.

May 29, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 43
Don't go custom, if you don't like them, you are stuck. Buy used off the classifieds section.
Also customs can end up having bad fits, and can be extremely uncomfortable.

There are iems out there, universal fits, that have just as good as isolation as any custom. You might wanna look into a good used dynamic iem. Vega, Atlas, might be able to pick up on for about 600.
Buy quality, and buy once. Don't try to incrementally upgrade, that way you lose a lot of money.
BUY USED.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 43
Don't go custom, if you don't like them, you are stuck. Buy used off the classifieds section.
Also customs can end up having bad fits, and can be extremely uncomfortable.
I can't disagree more...had 5 different CIEMs and none of them was bad fit and a refit is mostly free of charge after you bought one. Additionaly if there is ownership transfer they are as easy to sell as universals. Sometimes it is also possible to make a CIEM into an universal.

May 29, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 43
I can't disagree more...had 5 different CIEMs and none of them was bad fit and a refit is mostly free of charge after you bought one. Additionaly if there is ownership transfer they are as easy to sell as universals. Sometimes it is also possible to make a CIEM into an universal.
I think recommending a CIEM to a first time iem newbie is a bad idea.
He doesn't even know what signature he likes, buying used, and reselling if he doesn't like it, is the safest option.
And I have had bad uncomfortable fits with ciems, not a good route to go for a newbie.

May 29, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 43
I agree buying used and selling it if one dosn't like the iem is a very good suggestion but I stand by ciems as a valid option especially if blocking sound is of importance.

May 29, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 43
I am thinking along the lines of what @Kitechaser wrote, if you don't know what signature you prefer the best choice is to buy used.
$500 can buy you some very good used IEMs, and at that point your source will be the bottleneck in the system.

I just bought some used Astell & Kern T8iE MKII for $550, but you can find them cheaper if you look around.
They are known for both comfort and SQ and might be an option for your needs as well.
Headfonia sums it up nicely here:
https://www.headfonia.com/review-astellkern-akt8ie-mkii-age-of-consent/

I'll hopefully get them next week and will report on them in this thread, since I'll be comparing them to my modified JVC FD02: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/

May 29, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 43
I think recommending a CIEM to a first time iem newbie is a bad idea.
He doesn't even know what signature he likes, buying used, and reselling if he doesn't like it, is the safest option.
And I have had bad uncomfortable fits with ciems, not a good route to go for a newbie.

Thank you, I think I'll cancel the appointment I made to get my impressions done next week and keep looking on the forums. If I can grab the andromedas for around £600-700. Would that be worth it? Otherwise I'm still eyeing up the Fearless S8F and perhaps the Kanas Pro if I find a good deal on them

May 29, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 43
The kanas pros are well within your budget and you could save the extra money up and buy a better IEM based on your preferred signature(once you have figured it out) from a company such as campfire audio or fearless audio

That's the thing, I had the RHAs for so long and don't really want to purchase something in the same kind of budget. I'd want to make a large jump in sound quality from what I had before.

May 29, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #15 of 43
That's the thing, I had the RHAs for so long and don't really want to purchase something in the same kind of budget. I'd want to make a large jump in sound quality from what I had before.
The thing is the price bracket does not completely quantify the extreme boost in audio quality which you are getting and the Kanas Pro's are truly stellar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back