IEM Recommendation for Classical Music
Nov 20, 2008 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

applevalleyjoe

100+ Head-Fier
Which IEM's should I be considering for classical music, piano, and new age? Highs are critical as well as soundstage and detail. Mids important. Bass should not be heavy. I am considering the Sleek SA6's as well as the Ety EP4-P. Any other suggestions?

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 16
Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Search Results(don't bother clicking)

beerchug.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Search Results

beerchug.gif

===> Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms
icon10.gif

I love my Shure E500 for piano music. For full symphonic orchestras you can't beat a full sized can. I had a pair of recabled HD650s but I don't have the time to properly sit and listen
redface.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
===> Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms
icon10.gif

Odd. it seemed to work for a while.

(edit) well, this proves that linking to my search results doesn't work.

But searching is easy:

I used search>advanced search>key words>classical IEM> titles only.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 16
I just got the Shure ES530 for basically the same kind of music as you like. These phones are performing very well. Female vocals, piano solos, all are sounding fine. The midrange is truly amazing and captures all the detail of an orchestra. You don't hear "music", you hear the individual instrument sections playing the music. Highs are present and just about perfect. Bass is present and realistic. I haven't even experimented with different sleeves, just the medium foams that came on the phones.

I think I made the right decision on these. If you buy from Headroom, you get 30 days to return if they aren't right. Dam good price too.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 16
The er4p s are great for classical music. The Shure E530/500s lack the highs that are necessary for violins and are really dissapointing to me. They do midrange and bass incredibly well however. That's why I have both. Since my Ety's broke, I really don't feel satisfied with just the E500s. I am hoping the Westone 3s will be able to give the highs and be a one IEM solution for me.

Depending on your budget I'd either get the Etys or wait to find out how the Westone highs work out. I don't know if there are any other low end IEMs that really bring out the highs, and violins sound like guitars without that extension

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 16
Great Dane is right! Searching is stupid easy using the advance search option. And this is another one of those questions that keep coming back just like the phoenix rising from it's ashses.

I have the SE530s, which are great all rounders, but the Etys are the IEM of choice for serious listening to classical music.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 16
You know, I expected the highs to be disappointing in the ES530 since it's a viral type of comment one reads here, but there is nothing lacking in the highs in my observation.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 16
My vote is for the UE triple.fi 10 Pros. Very detailed, extremely great highs and mids, an analythical IEM. You won't regret getting it.

EDIT: but I'm sure customs can be even better.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote is for the UE triple.fi 10 Pros. Very detailed, extremely great highs and mids, an analythical IEM. You won't regret getting it.

EDIT: but I'm sure customs can be even better.

and not to mention the great separation, too
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 16
I had the SE530 for 2 years and recently lost them on the plane. I'm a classical music, female vocal lover too and SE530 did disappointingly in these areas. While I have no complains for bass and mids, the highs are "hidden". To me, they were unlikeable without an amp to boost the treble a bit.

When I lost the SE530, I grieved a little, mostly on the money I spent rather than missing the earphones. I don't think I'm going back to them this time. There are now many other options out there since I purchased them. I was looking at the Sleek custom (I believe the SA6 has the same sound sig), which according to reviewers, have a more balanced spectrum. But since Westone 3 just announced a release date, it might be worth waiting to see how others like it.

In short, if you are a classical music guy, I'd look elsewhere, SE530 whilst not bad, I don't think it gives a good representation of the orchestral sound or treble vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back