IEM recommendation for a headphone newbie?
Sep 13, 2009 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AliasNeo07

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. New to the site, but I've been looking around, looks great!

I've been searching threads for an answer to this question but I'm still confused as hell, lol. Looks like a lot more research is in order.

I know nothing about the techincal specs of headphones: IE: impedence, which type of connector is best, amps, portable amps, etc. Complete noob. I'll have to start learning about that stuff.

But anyway, my quesiton:
I'm looking for a decent pair of IEMs for my dap. I will either be using an Ipod or the new Zune HD as my dap. I currently use some $15 pair of JVCs from CVS, because they stay in my ears. But I'm looking into a better pair. I mostly listen to hip-hop, so good bass is a must. I'll also be listening to rock and classical, but mostly hip hop, so hip-hop qualities are what i'm looking for. My budget is right around 50-60 bucks. Heres the thing: I carry these EVERYWHERE. I have a small case in my pocket and I keep them with my at all times, as well as my DAP, so i'll be getting a hard case or something for these to keep them safe.

I've read good things about the NE-7Ms. Would these suit me perfectly for ipod/zune play, mostly hip-hop, portable and durable?

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 8
monster turbines ive heard have really great bass in them. and any of the senny in ears. ive got the zune in ear premiums and they have great bass to them. they sound great with hip hop or rap music but they sound horrible with rock or metal. i think it must be the mids or something. sounds bad with rock though.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 8
The NE-6 are a better option if you don't need the microphone; However, for all-around durability I would look at the Maximo Im-590's as well. The build quality is very nice and I personally like the way they sound with what little rap/hip-hop I have in my collection.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 8
ADDIEMs have a lot of detail and strong bass. You won't need an amp for IEMs assuming even a decent source which I think the zune is. Full size phones are another story.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 8
I was going to suggest some Goldring GX200's but you have to pay through the flippin nose for them in America!
Goldring GX200 Earphones

I paid £15 ($24!!) for mine from play.com. Shame these don't get much coverage, build quality ain't all that but you get 3 silicone tips, some complys and a nice carry case. Bass is artificial and less punchy compared to FX500's but it is just unbelievable in its abundance, listening to shake your bum bum by lil kim made my eyes rattle literally earlier. And the mids are sweet as caramel
L3000.gif
much prefer them for listening to hip-hop than the FX500's.

But anyway this isn't really going to help you so the NE-7M's are a good choice I'd say, you don't get a carry case but they are a nice sounding phone with a very warm bassy feel and I enjoyed my hip-hoppety-hop on them muchly
smily_headphones1.gif

(for the record from memory the goldrings kick the Nuforce's ass on bass and mids lol)

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 8
you won't need one - but it'll sound better (i guess depending on the iem's you get)
jecklinsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennshead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ADDIEMs have a lot of detail and strong bass. You won't need an amp for IEMs assuming even a decent source which I think the zune is. Full size phones are another story.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Altec Lansing Backbeat 326 Titanium. A plasticky housing that looks like it was made by Playskool, but at $25, has the sound of a unit twice its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back