IEM recommendation (classical/jazz/ipod/current IE8)
post-7686021
Post #1 of 13

huxbnw

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
For the last few years, I have been using the Sennheiser IE8s.  My listening experience with these buds has deteriorated recently.  I can't get a good seal, the sound is distorted a bit when I do, and the bass is just too strong at times.  So I'm in the market for some new IEMs.  Could anyone please recommend a clean, relatively neutral IEM for listening to classical and jazz, where a good seal is common.  Isolation is important as I live in NYC and would like the subway noises blocked out as much as possible. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

post-7686091
Post #2 of 13

yello131

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
For Classical and Jazz, Check out Ortofon e-Q5 as well as e-Q7 with higher budget.
I listen Jazz with this babies and this are truly spectacular with superb isolation and very clean neutral sound sig.
You could read plenty of reviews as this have become quite popular recently due to its superb Japanese build, sound quality vs Price and availability.
One can get them from MA at $250US
A very nice review here
Good luck with your search. I love NYC, great place to live!

post-7686992
Post #3 of 13

Poimandres

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I absolutely love the vsonic GR07's but I have also read alot of good things about the sony ex600.  Both can be had for under 200 u.s., and i believe the gr07's will isolate better.

post-7688688
Post #5 of 13

scuttle

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Have you tried using a different type of sleeve? Check which types fit the IE8 and buy a selection. Seal is much more about the sleeve than the IEM, and the sleeve will affect acoustics too. And it isn't as if the IE8 has a reputation for problems getting a good seal. (Afaik?)

Also, it might help to say what source you're using. I'm guessing an iPod because they're common and you haven't mentioned trying to EQ the bass down.

post-7688860
Post #6 of 13

shureThing

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
UM3x, DBA-02 and eq-5 are some phones you might want to look into.

post-7688862
Post #7 of 13

ZARIM

IP address matches SNOOP_DOGG and HFAUDIOPHILE.
Reaction score
HF5(overall very clean, detailed sounding with good bass response and offers extended highs), GR10(detailed in mids n highs with great instrument separation and good bass response), SM3(very 3D soundstage, revealing in mids n high and offers deep punchier bass), CK10(very detailed highs n mids with good bass), UM3x(detailed mids with superb imaging, instrument separation and place ment with good highs and deep, punchier bass), RE272(highely detailed,clean, extended highs and clear mids with good bass response), EX1000(highely detailed in mids and highs with wide soundstage and offers deep bass), MTP Copper(detailed mids n highs with punchy bass) and MTP MD(made for Jazz fans and it's detailed yet fun to listen with punchy bass).

Reactions: dziendobry
post-7688903
Post #8 of 13

shureThing

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
This guy knows his stuff. Very good advice.

Quote:
HF5(overall very clean, detailed sounding with good bass response and offers extended highs), GR10(detailed in mids n highs with great instrument separation and good bass response), SM3(very 3D soundstage, revealing in mids n high and offers deep punchier bass), CK10(very detailed highs n mids with good bass), UM3x(detailed mids with superb imaging, instrument separation and place ment with good highs and deep, punchier bass), RE272(highely detailed,clean, extended highs and clear mids with good bass response), EX1000(highely detailed in mids and highs with wide soundstage and offers deep bass), MTP Copper(detailed mids n highs with punchy bass) and MTP MD(made for Jazz fans and it's detailed yet fun to listen with punchy bass).

post-7689522
Post #9 of 13

Freefallr4545

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score

Quote:

Yeah He Does. Thnks Zarim

post-7691776
Post #10 of 13

kimsam1

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
checkout the assortment of great IEMs by Westone at LibertyEars.com (aka LibertyHealthSupply.com). They offer standard universal fit and custom fit IEMs that range from $100 to $900. I have several of their items: ES5 (http://www.libertyhealthsupply.com/Westone-ES5-Custom-Stage-Piece-Earphones-p/lhs-es5.htm)- The best earphone I ever had, and iCustom IPOD earbuds (http://www.libertyhealthsupply.com/LIBERTY-iPOD-MP3-Custom-Earbuds-p/lhs-icustoms.htm) - fits over my ipod earbuds when I workout or ride.

post-7693772
Post #11 of 13

ericfarrell85

Member of the Trade: WoodWarmth Products
Reaction score
I own several (most) of the IEM's mentioned and believe you need to weigh the importance of several factors before coming to a decision. Great isolation (ER4P/S vs. Very good (SM3/CK10 with Triflanges) vs Subpar (Miles Davis/IE8). Then consider the prevalence of your listening genres. If mostly jazz listening I find Miles Davis to be most emotive; they put you in that smoky, hazy lounge and upfront and intimate in the soundstage. I would almost call them a niche IEM in this regard, as they perform so palpably with jazz but are often too bass heavy with other genres. The ultra-smooth treble also keeps it from becoming an all-rounder. The SM3 are my preferred for classical. Very large soundstage, thick and lush cellos and detailed violins (even if not absolutely limitless in extension). Also the speed and decay keep them from becoming incoherent and unresolving during complex passages. They also offer the great advantage of being substantial without an amp, something the ER4P struggles with due to it's fairly narrow soundstage and coldish signature. I would probably recommend the SM3's over all others mentioned. The CK10's (especially) and DBA's are my second favorite IEM's and as all-rounders, unamped might also fit the bill. I just don't really think of them for jazz or classical, due to their fairly neutral sound signatures. They're beautifully articulate, fast with short decays and are wonderful for electronica and rock in my opinion. I really would need to listen to them with the mentioned genres to provide a more accurate description, something, as I mentioned, I never felt inclined to do with the Monster Miles and SM3's covering those bases.

post-7699685
Post #12 of 13

shureThing

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Do Westone make tips for other brands?

Quote:
checkout the assortment of great IEMs by Westone at LibertyEars.com (aka LibertyHealthSupply.com). They offer standard universal fit and custom fit IEMs that range from $100 to $900. I have several of their items: ES5 (http://www.libertyhealthsupply.com/Westone-ES5-Custom-Stage-Piece-Earphones-p/lhs-es5.htm)- The best earphone I ever had, and iCustom IPOD earbuds (http://www.libertyhealthsupply.com/LIBERTY-iPOD-MP3-Custom-Earbuds-p/lhs-icustoms.htm) - fits over my ipod earbuds when I workout or ride.

post-7700767
Post #13 of 13

nikp

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
For classical, I would say the Ety HF5/ER-4S or the Westone UM3X.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)