IEM recommendation around $400
Aug 30, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #31 of 37
Thank you. Wasn't aware.

Do you know of other after market iem mmcx cables that are generally recognized as good or proven good with JVC FD02?

Personally don't put a lot of stock in cable differences other than build quality and ergonomics (and cable/contact resistance but even with a few extra ohms AFAIK effect should be minimal on single dynamic driver IEMs)

The FD01 cable feels pretty robust and I have no complaints. The new Alo/Campfire 'smoky litz' cables seem nice, the ones I tried didn't have memory wire but did have a soft pre-formed shape to them, not sure if it would be OK or not for cable down wear. The Dunu cable with switchable plugs is pretty handy if liable to move between different balanced/SE sources (IIRC MeeElec make a cheaper take on this concept).

For something lower budget maybe Venture Electronics, or could look/ask on this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #32 of 37
Personally don't put a lot of stock in cable differences other than build quality and ergonomics (and cable/contact resistance but even with a few extra ohms AFAIK effect should be minimal on single dynamic driver IEMs)

The FD01 cable feels pretty robust and I have no complaints. The new Alo/Campfire 'smoky litz' cables seem nice, the ones I tried didn't have memory wire but did have a soft pre-formed shape to them, not sure if it would be OK or not for cable down wear. The Dunu cable with switchable plugs is pretty handy if liable to move between different balanced/SE sources (IIRC MeeElec make a cheaper take on this concept).

For something lower budget maybe Venture Electronics, or could look/ask on this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/

Cable discussions... :)
Personally I do hear pretty significant differences between cables, and that also applies to single DD IEMs.
But for sure there's a lot of snake oil talk and rip-off happening with cables!
After some testing I ended up with 1mm solid core silver in my stereo system, which sounded clean and tight, with deep and detailed bass.

The cable of the FD01 is supposed to be pretty good, the one of the FD02 is bad IMO.
I was really reluctant to spend €100 on a cable for €200 IEMs, but when I listened to the Nobunaga Yuzen in the e-earphones store in Tokio I could clearly hear the difference and spent the money without much hesitation.

But I got the best results SQ wise with the DIY Teflon-silver cable as described here:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07DQBFQ2D...=geizhals1-21&ascsubtag=s0x0ibG6p2NUPaOEPkdPw

Unfortunately this cable is mechanically fragile so I ended up with the above mentioned cable.
Still, I should get back and improve that DIY cable, it is really good and cheap to make.

Cheers!

PS: @Raketen - very nice recommendations in your footnote! I loved the M9 and also liked the N3 a lot.

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #33 of 37
Cable discussions... :)
Personally I do hear pretty significant differences between cables, and that also applies to single DD IEMs.
But for sure there's a lot of snake oil talk and rip-off happening with cables!
After some testing I ended up with 1mm solid core silver in my stereo system, which sounded clean and tight, with deep and detailed bass.

The cable of the FD01 is supposed to be pretty good, the one of the FD02 is bad IMO.
I was really reluctant to spend €100 on a cable for €200 IEMs, but when I listened to the Nobunaga Yuzen in the e-earphones store in Tokio I could clearly hear the difference and spent the money without much hesitation.

But I got the best results SQ wise with the DIY Teflon-silver cable as described here:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07DQBFQ2D...=geizhals1-21&ascsubtag=s0x0ibG6p2NUPaOEPkdPw

Unfortunately this cable is mechanically fragile so I ended up with the above mentioned cable.
Still, I should get back and improve that DIY cable, it is really good and cheap to make.

Cheers!

PS: @Raketen - very nice recommendations in your footnote! I loved the M9 and also liked the N3 a lot.

Thanks guys!

I see 8-core cables come in 1.2m long. Seems too long to me, but then I haven't had aftermarket cables for IEMs. Could you please comment on the ergonomics/convenience of buying a cable with this length?

Aug 31, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #34 of 37
I'm looking at 8-core silver cables from Aliexpress. They are balanced cables...good for FD02?? The 2.5mm plug has 4 sections instead of the 3 sections in the original JVC cable...can't be right can it?
But then I'm puzzled because I don't see cables by this manufacturer with a 3-section 2.5mm plug.

Oct 13, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #35 of 37
FWIW, this week I received the 8-core silver cable from Aliexpress. Paid about $40. The improvement over the stock cable is very noticeable!! Great upgrade.

Looks like I'm good for a good while:
  • Phone with UAPP
  • Fiio USB otg to Mojo
  • Mojo
  • 8-core silver cables
  • FD-02 with tape mod
Anything you see worth improving?

Thanks for all the help!!

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #36 of 37
Hi Horacio!

That cable does make quite a difference, doesn't it?
The setup is very similar to mine, and the FD02 with the mod and the silver cable is maxed out I think.
If you want to significantly improve on that I think you have to spend some serious money.

I consider my A&K T8ie MKII a significant step up in clarity, detail and soundstage, but they have a quite different signature.
The father of the JVC FDxx series mod, James444 wrote that he prefers the modded FD01 ofer the T8ie.

But we are talking about IEMs with a list price of $1200 here, so even if they are better, they are in a different price league. Even used they were $550 while I paid $200 for the FD02.

So, enjoy the FD02!
I have ordered the FDX1 from MassDrop, curious if they have any advantage over the FD02 soundwise...

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back