IEM or Portable headphone for traveling?
Apr 26, 2010 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

aznsniper911

New Head-Fier
So starting in the next couple of weeks, I am going to be traveling a lot more and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for IEM/Headphone for my iPod Touch/iPhone? As for my audio preference, I just like bass and lots of it! My budget isn't definite but I don't want to spend like $1000 on headphones for traveling. I have used the Sony MDR-V700DJ (Love the bass and comfort) and Future Sonic M5 (The seal made the bass had more of a Bump feeling but fitting was hard to get)

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 20
IEM typically gives you the seal, and therefore can give you better bass response. Besides, you don't have to turn up the volume by much, as IEM gives you better isolation.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 20
I suggest the Sennheiser IE8.
Has a lot of mid bass with a smooth and laid back sound.
It will not block external noise during commutes though. You may want to think of the Shure se530 for isolation and bass (only if you get a good seal). The IE8 has more prominent bass to the se530.

If you want to go cheap, you can always go with the Skullcandy Titan. Doesn't have the wide soundstage and refinement of the IE8, but it does have a lot of bass for a low price.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 20
If you want to go with on the head phones, you can try the AKG518dj / 81dj. A lot of bass that doesn't completely drown out the mids and highs and is portable. Works well during commutes except for the long ass cable, but that is easily remedied. It's also very durable. For the version with a shorter cable go for the 518dj LE. Only problem with these cans is the clamping force on the head can be very strong until you loosen it by bending the arms out. But then that reduces the bass response.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 20
It's a hard choice for me, I like IEM for the seal but fitting is hard to find while headphones are pretty comftorable. I used the Sony MDR-V700DJ and it was pretty nice for bass reproduction unlike my Skullcandy headphones. My IEM i had a Future Sonic M5 which was good till it broke!

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 20
Well the Sony is pretty large. If you don't mind size, but still want the bass, there is the Shure 750dj and the M-Audio Q40. Both are very refined with the Q40 bass more veiling than that of the 750. Comfort wise... I give a slight edge to the 750. Both are circumaural so much better comfort-wise to the on the ear 518dj. If you want utter isolation with some bass, then the SennHD280pro is your friend. Just loosen the headband a bit to lessen the clamp force on the noggin.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by D4R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the Sony is pretty large. If you don't mind size, but still want the bass, there is the Shure 750dj and the M-Audio Q40. Both are very refined with the Q40 bass more veiling than that of the 750. Comfort wise... I give a slight edge to the 750. Both are circumaural so much better comfort-wise to the on the ear 518dj. If you want utter isolation with some bass, then the SennHD280pro is your friend. Just loosen the headband a bit to lessen the clamp force on the noggin.

haha it was. When it was still working, my girlfriend would always yell at me to take it off because it made me look so weird! I dont mind size however I do not want much leakage because I will be on plane trips that last about 12 hours. I like bass! I have only Rap/hip-hop songs on my iPod Touch/iPHone. Anyways budget isn't much of an issue for quality, i mean that's logical right??

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsniper911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ha Anyways budget isn't much of an issue for quality, i mean that's logical right??

It is indeed logical. Just focusing on bass may be an error though if quality is the issue. Look, I can't argue with your tastes. It just might be wise to cast a wider net and there is no downside.

Getting back to your original question, if you are patient the Beyer T50p may be a fine portable alternative to IEMs. I will likely get those next before splashing 2 to 3 times the amount on custom IEMs.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 20
If you're going to be on an airplane, then forget about everything and just go with the Shure se530. Your ears will thank you after multiple 12 hour flights. The bass isn't as hard hitting. But there is no doubt about sonic quality on those phones.

You can actually use any earphone you like, be it in-ear or not. Just wear a cheap but effective ear protection like the Silencio over them and the combination will knock out most of the high frequency whine from the aircraft.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyer T50p may be a fine portable alternative to IEMs

Ooooh. Can't wait for that one to get out in the wild. A portable T1. Nice.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 20
Like you, the main reason I got into audio equip and this forum was because of my vacation coming up. I too wanted comfort, sound isolation, and bass heavy pair of IEM's. I chose the Monster Turbine Pro Copper's and JH16's for my trip. I'd strongly consider the Copper's if you don't want to go the custom route. You might want to look into a amp to go with whatever you choose to increase the SQ & boost the bass even more.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggroll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like you, the main reason I got into audio equip and this forum was because of my vacation coming up. I too wanted comfort, sound isolation, and bass heavy pair of IEM's. I chose the Monster Turbine Pro Copper's and JH16's for my trip. I'd strongly consider the Copper's if you don't want to go the custom route. You might want to look into a amp to go with whatever you choose to increase the SQ & boost the bass even more.

I been looking at the Monster Turbine Pro Copper, how much did you get it for? I did a quick search and people have been getting them for $2xx, but I don't see it anywhere!

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #15 of 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back