IEM or Closed Back Recommendation
Aug 1, 2018 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

raxa

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for either an IEM or closed back for both listening and gaming (competitively). I would prefer a bit more bass than neutral, but I don't need a ton.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The room I'm usually in is pretty hot so I have a standalone AC unit; this unit is extremely loud. Additionally, I am near a busy road and ambient noise is very high.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently own:

HD650 (which I can't really use due to noise; fairly content signature wise, could use more bass)

AKG K702 (same)

Shure SRH1540 (trialing; not recommended for loud volume listening; bass gets a little too hectic as well; isolation sub-par)

Pinnacle P1 (trialing; imaging/soundstage lacking; not extremely clear)

I am a fan of IEM's in terms of size but soundwise the 1540's obviously win out compared to the P1's. Additionally, I have slightly strange? ear canal shapes so I am forced to use Comply tips (isolation is better as well).

Purchase-wise, I would like to find an IEM or even potentially CIEM that can exceed the 1540's in terms of imaging and come as close as possible for soundstage (gaming-wise).

Sound-wise, I am open to different sound signatures but would prefer something that is not overly light on bass. My typical genres would probably be hip hop and edm.

Essentially, I'm looking for the best I can get for around $800.

Currently, I'm leaning towards a CIEM because of my ear shape and the wearing convenience (rolling foam tips is pretty annoying). I would still be open to a universal regardless.

I'm also considering a closed back for around the same price range, but strong isolation is necessary. The 1540's don't isolate super well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for helping and reading my wall of text!

Also- for IEM's phone-derivable is preferred, but I'll usually use it at home with a Fiio E10k.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 4
If you are in fact considering a universal I would suggest looking at a Noble Sage. It might work for you. Maybe read about it and see what you think.

The sage actually looks pretty good! The custom designs they have for the sage are amazing as well.

After doing some reading I'll probably be deciding between the Sage's and Audio 64's a2e or a3e- do you by any chance know how they compare (apart from one being custom)? From what I could find, both have reportedly decent soundstages with the 64's potentially winning out?

Thanks a ton!

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 4
The sage actually looks pretty good! The custom designs they have for the sage are amazing as well.

After doing some reading I'll probably be deciding between the Sage's and Audio 64's a2e or a3e- do you by any chance know how they compare (apart from one being custom)? From what I could find, both have reportedly decent soundstages with the 64's potentially winning out?

Thanks a ton!
Sure. The only 64 Audio IEM I have heard is the tia Fourte, which is spectacular IMO.:) I am sure the a2e and a3e are terrific--64 seems to only make quality stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back