IEM no price limit with Bass.
May 10, 2008 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Kel Ghu

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am kinda new to the IEM. The only pair i've got is the Sony EX90, but since I got my full size can, they sound really bad to me.
My reference is Edition 9. I need a pair of IEM with a similar frequency reponse, which is marvelous bass that is very powerful, deep and controlled. And clear and non recessed mids and trebles. They don't need to be exceptionnal, but good would be enough. But I don't want extremely bright cans, I am pretty sensitive to sibilance... but who likes sibilance?
smily_headphones1.gif

I was looking towards UM2, SE530 and SE420... But I really don't know IEM well. I need a little direction from you guys. Custom or not, no price limit. I just need something that suits me.

Thank you all!

May 10, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by basmatirice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
futuresonic atrio. no point in spending more than that.

Have you heard IEMs that cost more than that?

May 10, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 26
UE11s or shure se530.
I have the e500s,same as the e530s, I just ordered the ue11s.

If you are thinking UE11 if you order by 5/12 & use promotion code
HeadFi08 you can get 20% off the UE11s.

I have thr ED9s as well.

May 11, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 26
^ didn't know about that promo, that is great deal for UE11's. I have had mine for a while now and they are the way to go if you have no set budget. If you do not want to spend as much you can also check out the triple.fi 10's.

May 11, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 26
I've been an Edition 9 / E500 user for some time. Jumped into the UE11's recently and haven't regretted it a bit. They are excellent complements to the E9.

May 11, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone,

I am kinda new to the IEM. The only pair i've got is the Sony EX90, but since I got my full size can, they sound really bad to me.
My reference is Edition 9. I need a pair of IEM with a similar frequency reponse, which is marvelous bass that is very powerful, deep and controlled. And clear and non recessed mids and trebles. They don't need to be exceptionnal, but good would be enough. But I don't want extremely bright cans, I am pretty sensitive to sibilance... but who likes sibilance?
smily_headphones1.gif

I was looking towards UM2, SE530 and SE420... But I really don't know IEM well. I need a little direction from you guys. Custom or not, no price limit. I just need something that suits me.

Thank you all!

Like you i like my headphone to reach low's (40hz) without sacrificing precious dB's and am very sensitive to aggressive/overemphasised highs. And to rease the bar even higher, i want clarity and airy-ness where IEM's are known for. Having tested the Shure E500 for myself, i can not recommend them, The lows are not as strong in the sublow's as other options outthere. And the highs are best compared to what a metal dome (instead of a softdome) does to a sound signature in a normal speaker, so there is a light sibilance in the upper highs.

IEM's that could do better in the low's are Future Sonic Earmonitor, but it's a single driver, so i am not sure how it handle mids/highs with clarity. Having no experience (yet) of the swing from Ohr&More i expect great things from this IEM. The owner of O&M said it was even possible to order a swing with a another driver for an even more (better/tighter) lowend. But finding people with experience with those iem's are very scarce.
frown.gif
I have heard that the earmonitor is a improvement over the atrio series.

Having put in my thoughts, i will get burned for calling the E500 not a basswonder...

But in my defence, low impact can be experienced in 2 manners,
1) listening to a single low freq tone and see if it will reproduce. Most (if not all beter) options like the E500 will do that.
2) Playing 2 notes at the same time (for example a 40hz E and a midrange note like 2khz tone) and see if there of the same strength. So the sublows aren't overwhelmed with things happening higher op the freq band.
2b) And now the difficult part, like point 2 but on a higher SPL. My experience is that the higher the SPL, to more difficult it is for the driver to maintain the sublows. Most times the higher freq are going up in spl, but the Sublow start falling behind. And so missing out on giving the kickdrum and low notes of the bassguitar that precious impact feeling.

Side note, the best bass in headphones i've heard till now are:
sennheiser HD650 (not the HD600, mind you)
B&O A8 with iBuds tips.
Velleman HPE1, but this one has some other problems in the mid and highs.
and both the A8 as the HPE1 still keep sticking on the 50/60hz range and won't reach in full impact that lovely 40hz.

I rest my case you're honour
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 26
You may also want to look at the Sleek SA6 as they can be fine tuned by you
with all the adapters that come with it.

May 11, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 26
not having heard the UE 11 I'd definately recommend the Atrio's!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back