iem in too deep?
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Justice Strike

100+ Head-Fier
Yesterday i had a eartip stuck in my ear AGAIN. Must say, they where comfortable though, it didn't even feel like a bother.

anyway, getting them out was really a pain, and i realy had to buy some special tweezers to get them out (and stick them a fair bit into my ear).

now having said that... i have very very small ear canals. i use the smallest qjay eartips and they fit snug and as they should. But i'm just wondering, am i not sticking these iem's in to deep? if i need tweezers to get them out arn't then in to far? and if not, is it even recommendable to stick them in that deep when i have such small earcanals? perhaps i should try some very large ones and try to get a seal in the ear rather then the ear canal (if that's even possible)

what are your thoughts?

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 10
umm.... yeah umm... your not supposed to stick them in...

The seal is supposed to form with your outer ear canal not inside the ear canal.

and yes I think the requirement of "special tweezers" sort of tells you, that no, this isn't how your supposed to use iems since they don't come in the kit. Sorry for the sarcasm, but really use larger tips and try to form a seal with the outer ear canal not inside it. If it helps wear the wires over the ears to help hold them in place.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 10
dont force it in? :p

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 10
ER 6i's are almost as small as Q-jays and I haven't managed to stick mine in "too far" yet - I doubt it is depth of insertion but rather a strong seal that is keeping the tips in there. I haven't had an ER 6i eartip come close to falling off. Try a tip that needs to stretch to fit on the Q-jays nozzle so it will stay on tighter.

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER 6i's are almost as small as Q-jays and I haven't managed to stick mine in "too far" yet - I doubt it is depth of insertion but rather a strong seal that is keeping the tips in there. I haven't had an ER 6i eartip come close to falling off. Try a tip that needs to stretch to fit on the Q-jays nozzle so it will stay on tighter.

I have sleek-audios with q-jay tips. and the tube got ripped off the driver. It was an accident, someone jerked on the wires. I have never had any problems with these tips getting loose (and the fact the the tube got loose from the driver attests to the fact that it was attached securely)

i'm actually thinking of crazy glue, but it's really a last resort.

I actually emailed Sleek about this issue and i gave them the suggestion to have the wires be more easily detachable. That would prevent it from having something like that happen again.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justice Strike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i'm the only one bothered by this?

I used to have this when I used the ER6I. It would happen frequently and I would also carry around a pair of tweezers to extract the detached seal from my right ear (hardly was ever the left ear).

Since then, I've owned Shure's, Westones, and Ultimate Ears. I've NEVER had the problem since..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back