IEM improvement w/amplification
Apr 26, 2006 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dk123

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering which of the UM2/E4/ER4 improves the most with a dedicated amp. I currently have the UM2, and previously the E4, which I sold after extended comparison out of an Ipod Nano. However, I am going to be getting an M3 amp (w/ad843) soon, and I'm wondering whether I should consider selling the UM2 and getting something else again. I mainly preferred the UM2 because of its more headphone-like soundstage, but I felt the E4 was more natural in its presentation, but lacking in seperation/clarity in complicated passages comparitively. I am mainly interested in performance in the home listening environment at this point, as opposed to in a mobile environment.

Apr 26, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 4
Are you using a line-out?

Apr 26, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Are you using a line-out?

Yes, line out from a variety of sources.

Apr 26, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 4
The RSA Hornet is an excellent match for the UM2 and really added a better sense of space, depth, and texture to the music. It also felt like it had more weight to it if that makes sense.

I should receive my SMv6 today or tomorrow so I'm not sure how it will mate but I hear it's pretty nice with the AD8620.

I've listened to the E4C, Super.fi 5pro, and UM2 both amped and unamped and I'd say the E4C benefited the most from being amped and the 5pro the least. In my experience it has been best to build the system around the headphones... synergy is important. I've not heard the M3 so I can't comment on how it will sound with the UM2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back