IEM for running Marathons? $100-$200
Mar 6, 2013 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NumLock

100+ Head-Fier
Please don't recommend anything under $100 or that I shouldn't run with $200 IEMs. Thanks. 
I have been working out with my custom molded TripleFi10s for the past 3 years I think. Love them. But the left one stopped working. Looks like I need to get a new terminal installed. I planned to get these fixed but it would take a while. Even after I get them back it would be nice to have a back up pair and something in rotation.
So I need to find something new soon. I am using my RE0 for now but I miss the bass. I also have IE7s but I don't want to mess these up as they are my travel pair.
So far I have been eyeing these:
EPH-100
GR07
XBA-3
DBA-02

I have seen some condensation problems for the EPH100, should I not even bother with these since these?

So some back story. I hate running. Always have. More of a strength guy. I hate running, and it is my weakness. So I want to make it one of my strengths. I plan on doing a marathon or two this year. I hate running, I love music. For the few times I do run, I am always faster, take less walk breaks, and times flies so much faster. So you can see how a really nice pair of IEMs would help here. 
Anyway any thoughts and opinions are welcome. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 8
OK so fit is the most important aspect here, so, ignore everything in your list but DBA-02, the rest will fall out pretty easily, DBA-02 will be OK, other ones to consider is maybe Shure SE-215 and UE700

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 8
OK so fit is the most important aspect here, so, ignore everything in your list but DBA-02, the rest will fall out pretty easily, DBA-02 will be OK, other ones to consider is maybe Shure SE-215 and UE700

For running he should go over the ear. My experiences with fitting with the UE700 has been nothing short of disastrous. Also, he is doing running, and the UE700 is microphonic so I wouldn't recommend it.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 8
I would definitely get a pair that have memory wire that fits over the ears like the Rockit R-50 which I think would be a good choice as they're so very light you don't even feel them after a few minutes plus the memory wire is the best I've used.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 8
IMO most important is bass if using in noisy evoirement and dynamic drivers produce more bass but less isolation, Yamaha EPH100 offers great isolation but they are front ported micro HD drivers which can stop working if use for excercise. I will recommend to try GR07, Klipsch Image X5(highly recommended because lightweight, good isolation, great punchy bass and overall crisp clear detailed soundquality), JVC FXD80, Harmen Kardon AE, B&W C5 and ATH CKS1000 are great for workout.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 8
The X10 is one heck of a nice little single BA with very good bass impact and depth, its crazy how much bass that little driver can produce.  The mids are forward with a warm signature and the highs very smooth and non fatiguing and both have good detail and lastly the soundstage is a little above average with better width than depth though the depth the X10 has is better than the GR07 imo.

So the X10 is another very good choice that's worth looking into imo.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Microphonics isn't an issue since I use a shirt clip. I do like over the ears better but straight down isn't that bad either. I use Shure Olives tips also which help with comfort, isolation, and keeping them from falling out.

I'm not a bass head but for running an IEM with a lot of bass would be nice. Mostly because of the songs I choose to put on my playlist for running. I just started to listen to electronic music because of running.

Thanks so far. Writing all the recommendations down and checking them out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back