IEM for newbie with budget ~$100
Jan 19, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #16 of 18
After much deliberation, I've finally decided to join the Denon AH-C700 bandwagon
smily_headphones1.gif
I said to myself why not spend more money (remember I was trying to justify if spending more $$ getting this Denon AH-C700 over the ATH-CK7) to get something I am looking for (ie. balanced sound and fun as they describe it). It is now on its way and I can't wait for it to get here. Now its time for me to experience what people are hearing with their quality canal phones and I hope it is up to the my expectation. This will be pretty high expectation after reading a lot about quality canal phones the last two weeks here. Remember also that this will be my first high quality, head-fi recommended canal phones. I normally don't bother to spend $$ to replace whatever earbuds that come with my cell phone or my portable audio player.

Actually I am also thinking to get the ATH-CK7 just for comparison purposes. I wonder if the sound signature is distinct enough to warrant having both at the same time (also to actually hear it for myself the sonic differences described here so that I know exactly what people mean when they described something). Or maybe the q-Jays, or the UE SF5, or Westone UM1, or ... (list can go on and on..)
smily_headphones1.gif
And to billybob_jcv, I already thinking of getting another one before I have my first head-fi recommended phones. Such an evil forum for my wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks everyone for giving a lot of feedback. I will try to post my experience when I get it.

ps. To Zephyron, or anyone, what is OTG-amping? Will that make a big difference? By the way I am not going to do any amping for now because not enough $$ in my wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #17 of 18
A little update on this thread just to post my experience with the Denon AH-C700 for about 3 weeks. Note that this is the first time I spend money to buy phones as I usually used whatever that comes with the device. My current device is a laptop and Sony Ericsson w810i walkman phone. The w810i came with a canal phones.

This is my experience:
First day, I thought C700 sounded nice but I questioned myself if I have just wasted $$ on this because it doesn't sound much nicer than original canal phones from my w810i. Sound is quite similar but maybe a just a little bit better especially in the bass quality (the sony ericsson sounded more boomy, thus more muffled).

After a week of intermittent use, the C700 began to show its quality. Everything began sounded better. The bass is more controlled, I also hear better details everywhere.

My impression from using it everday until yesterday, WOW now things are much better, bass is well controlled, just enough to my liking, sometimes a little too much, but no problem. Vocals sounded very nice, very clear. And the highs are very detailed. I basically can hear more things than before. This is what I expect when I spend $$ for this quality phones (yes it is not much $$ in this forum, but I think it is not bad for a start).

Overall I am happy with the purchase. Thanks a lot! The only drawback now is I am looking for more
biggrin.gif
Maybe another nice phones (either iem or headphone type, leaning more on the headphone because my iem is good for now, hmm the Denon d2000 looks like a good candidate
biggrin.gif
), a better source (dap such as sony w818 seems to be very good from what I read here, and dac or soundcard to improve my laptop setup, maybe emu 0404usb, or might as well go with pico amp wih dac option), and maybe amp if needed.

Feb 11, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #18 of 18
I am glad you like the Denon AH-cC700 bostitch. They are a fanatstic step in the right direction. A stand alone DAP will defintily make them shine even more. I have the Sony NWZ-A818 paired with the Denon AH-C700 and it is a wonderfull protable rig.

Sony NWZ-A818

A DAC will also make your laptop sound much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back