IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jan 21, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #1,561 of 2,092
Anyone here own or heard either the VE EXT or UM Indigo? These two currently have my attention as a potential complimentary set to the Nio. Haven't seen much in the way of impressions for either set with a focus on metal genres.

The dual DDs in the EXT have me really intrigued... I imagine they'll impart excellent texture and physicality for both kick drums (bass DD) and electric guitar (mids DD).

I've yet to hear an IEM with a BCD driver and almost pulled the trigger on the MEST MkII but got spooked off by what I've been told is a pretty energetic upper midrange and treble which is generally no bueno for me. The Timeless is about as aggressive as I can get for upper mids and I rely on the RU6 to curb it a touch. The Indigo looks to be slightly toned down in that region.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #1,562 of 2,092
Anyone here own or heard either the VE EXT or UM Indigo? These two currently have my attention as a potential complimentary set to the Nio. Haven't seen much in the way of impressions for either set with a focus on metal genres.

The dual DDs in the EXT have me really intrigued... I imagine they'll impart excellent texture and physicality for both kick drums (bass DD) and electric guitar (mids DD).

I've yet to hear an IEM with a BCD driver and almost pulled the trigger on the MEST MkII but got spooked off by what I've been told is a pretty energetic upper midrange and treble which is generally no bueno for me. The Timeless is about as aggressive as I can get for upper mids and I rely on the RU6 to curb it a touch. The Indigo looks to be slightly toned down in that region.
I've got an Indigo with me right now. Not impressed. Highly likely I'll keep my mkii instead.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #1,563 of 2,092

I've yet to hear an IEM with a BCD driver and almost pulled the trigger on the MEST MkII but got spooked off by what I've been told is a pretty energetic upper midrange and treble which is generally no bueno for me. The Timeless is about as aggressive as I can get for upper mids and I rely on the RU6 to curb it a touch. The Indigo looks to be slightly toned down in that regio
I really wish I had the EXT

Judging from the reviews the ext seems to be extraordinary good.

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #1,565 of 2,092

The shape of the EXT looks painful for my ears..😊

If you're looking for something complementary, maybe consider all BA iem, instead of another hybrid?

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #1,566 of 2,092
The shape of the EXT looks painful for my ears..😊

If you're looking for something complementary, maybe consider all BA iem, instead of another hybrid?
Ha, yeah. Fit is a concern for me too. The bump near the nozzle looks… uncomfortable. But I won’t pass judgement until I get to try them.

I haven’t really considered an all BA. I do have the SA6 but they’re so safely tuned I rarely find myself grabbing them. That was part of allure initially but they hardly get any use next to the Nio and Timeless. I may end up listing them on classifieds as they are a solid set for the price and shouldn’t be collecting dust.

Any suggestions on other all BA iems I should consider?

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,567 of 2,092
Depends on the budget. Under 2k used, the U18T would be my pick. Fantastic drums, very technical, great soundstage. Excellent for black metal. Some consider it bright, but it doesn't bother me.

If you're looking for a hybrid but a different flavor, again under 2k, I'd say the Mest 2 is actually worth a try. It was a little too edgy for me in the end, but it's a good IEM with a good resale value if you buy it used. And I would look at a Fourte. Excellent IEM, 64 Audio house sound but more technical, detailed, wide soundstage, great bass. Can be found under 2k as well. It is somewhat bright though. Again, doesn't bother me.

If budget can be stretched I would consider the EVO. Fantastic bass, great technical performance. Slightly forward though, needs some EQ in my opinion. But with EQ, it's awesome, especially for metal.

EXT and Indigo might be good picks too, but I haven't heard them yet.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,568 of 2,092
Thanks @MatW. Food for thought for sure and more added to the "need to audition" list.

Hoping I can get some time with a variety of IEMs at CanJam and make a decision from there. I really do want to hear the EVO.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #1,569 of 2,092
Interesting. What’s your initial take versus the Mkii?
Initial thoughts...
Indigo is a big big house that has somewhat questionable inhabitants.

I need more time with it to specifically call out the why's. They really are very close. Indigo opens up the MEST for success on more genre's but ruins the only genre I needed it for, extreme metal. The mkii just flat won out on all hyper fast metal for me, likely due to the treble effect AND those synergistic sources.
I prefer my other iem's on every other genre, so I am not holding Indigo responsible for not being as good with jazz as the Eden, etc.

Bass is bigger but not necessarily better. Maybe a tiny bit rounder? Def more of it. OK, it's "better". But can now get a bit overbearing on loudly mixed double kicks.

I prefer the treble of the mkii much much more, so far. The last thought I had when listening was I think the Indigo's treble is strange and grainy. But I'll stop it at that. I need more time and don't want to jump the gun too much, lol.

Mids are more interesting, and I'll need to dig in there. I've been in single DD land for weeks so BA mids on both MEST's tend to sound bad right now to me.
I'd just flame them both.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #1,571 of 2,092
Hello to evereyone, I'm considering to buy a pair of iems on the 500-600 € price range, unfortunately many models I've read of are very hard to find for me, I live in italy and have the need of buying on amazon, so now I'm considering Fiio, in particular the FA9 and FH9, I listen any kind of rock music from folk rock to black metal, any suggestions?

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,572 of 2,092
Hello to evereyone, I'm considering to buy a pair of iems on the 500-600 € price range, unfortunately many models I've read of are very hard to find for me, I live in italy and have the need of buying on amazon, so now I'm considering Fiio, in particular the FA9 and FH9, I listen any kind of rock music from folk rock to black metal, any suggestions?
In that price range I recommend the Oriolus Isabellae. Incredible tonality and performance with all things rock, prog and metal of all kinds.
And you can buy it at Musicteck without problems. Surely you write to Dave and he gives you some advice to receive it in 2 or 3 days, and not pay almost anything in customs (I live in Spain and I have already bought several times, without problems).

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #1,573 of 2,092
FH7 maybe ?

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #1,574 of 2,092
In that price range I recommend the Oriolus Isabellae. Incredible tonality and performance with all things rock, prog and metal of all kinds.
And you can buy it at Musicteck without problems. Surely you write to Dave and he gives you some advice to receive it in 2 or 3 days, and not pay almost anything in customs (I live in Spain and I have already bought several times, without problems).
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a look, although as I said i would prefer buying from amazon as I have a coupon for it and also for the warranty...
By the way we have the same amp/dac, great machine.
FH7 maybe ?
The fh9 should be the successor I think, and also i did not find them.

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #1,575 of 2,092
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a look, although as I said i would prefer buying from amazon as I have a coupon for it and also for the warranty...
By the way we have the same amp/dac, great machine.

The fh9 should be the successor I think, and also i did not find them.
Then FiiO may be a good choice. Or even the Xelento, in Spain they cost between 500 and 600 € when they are in offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back