IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Aug 17, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #1,306 of 2,092
it's pretty amazing,
all the details really grab your attention without any fatigue,

but it could get pretty annoying if using it while study or something,
not relaxed at all,
Ok sounds interesting haha

I currently have the ISN h40.

Really like them but sometimes I wish they had more out-of-your-head feeling and more sound stage and more details and clarity and even better instrument seperation

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,307 of 2,092

Ok sounds interesting haha

I currently have the ISN h40.

Really like them but sometimes I wish they had more out-of-your-head feeling and more sound stage and more details and clarity and even better instrument seperation
Did you mod your H40?
a cleaner bass +bigger stage with the mod

oh, you might like this,
Screenshot_20210818-004343402 (1).jpg
Screenshot_20210818-004514075 (1).jpg
Screenshot_20210818-004557235 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #1,308 of 2,092
Did you mod your H40?
it supposed to gives a cleaner bass +bigger stage,

oh, you might like this,
Yes I swapped the eartips for the JVC Spiral Dot eartips.

After that the sound got cleaner, bass better and soundstage bigger.

I also tried the grill mod once by removing the grill, removing the cloth and putting the grill back on but I did not like the result at all. The sound got too sharp/harsh/piercing.

I have adrenalize and the in-between in my playlist already. Awesome songs. Really love in this moment.

Will check out Born in Flames later. Thx

Sick like Me, Whore, Big Bad Wolf, Sex Metal Barbie, Roots, Black Wedding, River of Fire, The Fighter by In this Moment are all very amazing songs.

Edit: just listened to Born in Flames, mhh idk don't like it really, seems a bit too boring for me.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,309 of 2,092
This is a bit overdue, but I recently had a chance to meet up with @tawmizzzz and audition the Aure Elixir (DD / BA hybrid).

Wanted to post some impressions as these are relatively unknown IEMs but they certainly should be on more people's radar. For reference, my current daily drivers are the 64 Audio Nio with the M15 module. I primarily listen to death, black, post/shoegaze and prog metal. All listening was done off my iBasso DX300 with a mix of downloaded Spotify "high quality" tracks and local FLAC files.

Now bear with me as I'm still quite green at describing what I hear in technical terms. Regardless, it was enjoyable to A/B another IEM that sits in the same realm as the Nio for a couple hours and make some comparative notes.

I've never considered myself an out-and-out bass-head but it's ultimately what's drawn me in to liking the Nio so much. I CRAVE the visceral impact of kick drums and it delivers in spades. It's the first thing I listen for with metal and suffice it to say the DD of the Elixir yields plenty of texture and slam, too. Super-fast double bass kicks come across clear and punchy (Obscura's recent single Solaris), with more speed and separation between kicks compared to the Nio. With the M15 module installed the Nio has both more sub and mid bass presence than the Elixir, and reaches a bit deeper, but it does sound a touch bloated in comparison on faster passages. I personally love the quality and quantity of bass the Nio delivers but can certainly see how it may be considered overdone by some. On occasion it will start to overpower the lower mids but I find this is usually mix dependent. The bass quantity of the Elixir is solidly middle ground between the MX and M15 modules on the Nio. For tech death metal with triggered double bass the Elixir is noticeably more coherent than the Nio.

The midrange of the Nio is what I'd describe simply as "full" sounding. Thick. The Elixir's midrange is slightly elevated compared to that of the Nio and heavily distorted guitars come across with more crunch and edge which I find enjoyable. The Nio midrange tuning is very safe and the Elixir doesn't do anything risky here either, but I for sure notice more note detail, separation, and edge, to guitars (the leads / solo's littered throughout Drawn and Quartered Congregation Pestilence is a prime example) on the Elixir. The Nio presents guitars with a dense note weight whereas the Elixir leans things out a bit. Arguably more realistic on the Elixir but I still really enjoy the way the Nio presents guitar notes.

The treble of the Nio is decidedly safe as well and is why I can listen to them for hours on end as blast beats and cymbals rain down from poorly mastered black metal albums. I'm somewhat treble sensitive but even with raw black metal both the Nio and Elixir handle things without glare or fatigue. The treble is noticeably more extended on the Elixir whereas the Nio treble is softer and even blunted at times. Cymbal strikes sound great on both, with the Nio dialing things back a bit in terms of sharpness. Again, though, this yields an easier listen to my treble sensitive ears. If you’re after more treble presence and extension, then the Elixir gets the nod here for sure.

I have a somewhat difficult time hearing and describing soundstage on IEMs (coming from open back headphones) but the Elixir presents what I hear as more width and height compared to the Nio. The Nio sounds slightly deeper front to back but less 3 dimensional (maybe less holographic is the term here?).

All in all, both the Elixir and the Nio are highly competent and enjoyable hybrid IEMs for metal / rock listeners. If I had to TLDR this, I'd say the Nio presents more bass (both quantity and texture) and has a fuller, thicker sound across the mids and treble compared the Elixir. The Elixir is a more balanced, detailed and airier monitor compared to the Nio. If the Nio bass is too much, and/or the mids/treble come across as too smooth/thick, then the Elixir should be under hard consideration.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,310 of 2,092
I'm still quite green at describing what I hear in technical terms.
Coulda fooled me, great in-depth and insightful impressions man. Glad you got to experience Elixir, definitely a sleeper. Both are complimentary as you noted with differing presentations.

Also thanks for showing me there's a whole thread dedicated to metal :beerchug:

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,311 of 2,092
Coulda fooled me, great in-depth and insightful impressions man. Glad you got to experience Elixir, definitely a sleeper. Both are complimentary as you noted with differing presentations.
Agreed, great write-up!
Also thanks for showing me there's a whole thread dedicated to metal :beerchug:
There are a few. Not all of them are equally active.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-other-metal-thread-no-blastbeat-metal-zone.831579/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lets-talk-metal.397407/

There may be more. These are ones I'm following.

Aug 21, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #1,313 of 2,092
This is a bit overdue, but I recently had a chance to meet up with @tawmizzzz and audition the Aure Elixir (DD / BA hybrid).

Wanted to post some impressions as these are relatively unknown IEMs but they certainly should be on more people's radar. For reference, my current daily drivers are the 64 Audio Nio with the M15 module. I primarily listen to death, black, post/shoegaze and prog metal. All listening was done off my iBasso DX300 with a mix of downloaded Spotify "high quality" tracks and local FLAC files.

Now bear with me as I'm still quite green at describing what I hear in technical terms. Regardless, it was enjoyable to A/B another IEM that sits in the same realm as the Nio for a couple hours and make some comparative notes.

I've never considered myself an out-and-out bass-head but it's ultimately what's drawn me in to liking the Nio so much. I CRAVE the visceral impact of kick drums and it delivers in spades. It's the first thing I listen for with metal and suffice it to say the DD of the Elixir yields plenty of texture and slam, too. Super-fast double bass kicks come across clear and punchy (Obscura's recent single Solaris), with more speed and separation between kicks compared to the Nio. With the M15 module installed the Nio has both more sub and mid bass presence than the Elixir, and reaches a bit deeper, but it does sound a touch bloated in comparison on faster passages. I personally love the quality and quantity of bass the Nio delivers but can certainly see how it may be considered overdone by some. On occasion it will start to overpower the lower mids but I find this is usually mix dependent. The bass quantity of the Elixir is solidly middle ground between the MX and M15 modules on the Nio. For tech death metal with triggered double bass the Elixir is noticeably more coherent than the Nio.

The midrange of the Nio is what I'd describe simply as "full" sounding. Thick. The Elixir's midrange is slightly elevated compared to that of the Nio and heavily distorted guitars come across with more crunch and edge which I find enjoyable. The Nio midrange tuning is very safe and the Elixir doesn't do anything risky here either, but I for sure notice more note detail, separation, and edge, to guitars (the leads / solo's littered throughout Drawn and Quartered Congregation Pestilence is a prime example) on the Elixir. The Nio presents guitars with a dense note weight whereas the Elixir leans things out a bit. Arguably more realistic on the Elixir but I still really enjoy the way the Nio presents guitar notes.

The treble of the Nio is decidedly safe as well and is why I can listen to them for hours on end as blast beats and cymbals rain down from poorly mastered black metal albums. I'm somewhat treble sensitive but even with raw black metal both the Nio and Elixir handle things without glare or fatigue. The treble is noticeably more extended on the Elixir whereas the Nio treble is softer and even blunted at times. Cymbal strikes sound great on both, with the Nio dialing things back a bit in terms of sharpness. Again, though, this yields an easier listen to my treble sensitive ears. If you’re after more treble presence and extension, then the Elixir gets the nod here for sure.

I have a somewhat difficult time hearing and describing soundstage on IEMs (coming from open back headphones) but the Elixir presents what I hear as more width and height compared to the Nio. The Nio sounds slightly deeper front to back but less 3 dimensional (maybe less holographic is the term here?).

All in all, both the Elixir and the Nio are highly competent and enjoyable hybrid IEMs for metal / rock listeners. If I had to TLDR this, I'd say the Nio presents more bass (both quantity and texture) and has a fuller, thicker sound across the mids and treble compared the Elixir. The Elixir is a more balanced, detailed and airier monitor compared to the Nio. If the Nio bass is too much, and/or the mids/treble come across as too smooth/thick, then the Elixir should be under hard consideration.
I'm 100% like you regarding the bolded part. I found the MEST MK1 to be lacking in that regard (haven't upgraded IEMs since last summer though I've tried basically every top IEM that came out before Q4 2020). Currently on the market for an upgrade, looking into MEST MK2 and whatever else I find in this thread.

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #1,314 of 2,092
Thanks for the kind words, @tawmizzzz and @MatW!

The Elixir are a great set of monitors, especially for us metalheads. I'm looking forward to others hearing them.
Hi, you made me curious about this Elixir iems, can you tell me what brand are and where can I find more information about them. Thank you!

Aug 22, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #1,315 of 2,092
Aug 22, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #1,316 of 2,092
Hi, you made me curious about this Elixir iems, can you tell me what brand are and where can I find more information about them. Thank you!
The brand is Aure Audio. They’re a Taiwanese company. The Elixir retails for $1,999 USD. 1DD / 3 BA configuration.

If you’re looking for a FR graph, Crin has it up on his site. Below is the Elixir and Nio (w/M15 module):

1629637889741.png

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,317 of 2,092
Thank you! Kinda expensive for me to try it without having the chance to audition first

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #1,318 of 2,092
Correct,
OLED of iem is Anole VX & Softears RS10,
for more of a budget option, Seeaudio Neo,

the purest form would be Shure KSE,
but I don't consider it as an iem,
So I was able to score a used Anole and yep these things live up to the hype. Not even is no EQ required but EQ makes them sound worse. The tuning, for the drivers they are using, is perfect (all switches down, IMO). Perfectly reference sound with a bit of a bass boost like pretty much everyone else has already noted. Can hear just as much detail as my open-back headphones. Isolation and comfort are also superb. Soundstage is just alright. Possibly less than Monarch (with EQ). But in term of metal these are obviously amazing since, IMO, metal doesn't need too big a soundstage.

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #1,319 of 2,092
Anyone tried the Thieaudio Oracle for metal? Impressions?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #1,320 of 2,092
Anyone tried the Thieaudio Oracle for metal? Impressions?
too sterile, bland,
but if you like the Mangird Tea,
it's a nice option,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back