IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Aug 5, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #1,291 of 2,092
So these are the EQ settings I'm working with. It's essentially the 2019v2 harman target but with a small boost at 120 hz and a small shelf in the sub-bass.

The red is the target and the blue is the UM 3DT:
3dt_harman.jpg

And here is after EQ:
3dt_harmanfit.jpg

Great to see it fits to the target pretty flawlessly and just does the following:
- boost sub-bass a touch
- gets rid of the bass-to-mid bloat
- tames the treble a bit

Again, I'm using these EQ settings with the new Azla Crystal tips but it also sounds great with the Xelastec and Azla stock tips that it came with.

Attachments

• UM3DT ParametricEQ.txt
    441 bytes · Views: 0
  • UM3DT GraphicEQ.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
  • UM3DT FixedBandEQ.txt
    488 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #1,292 of 2,092
Great thread - not got through the whole of it but already more recommendations than i can afford to consider! I have FH3 set coming so looking forward to checking them out. I got Thieaudio's Legacy 2 through and they are a really enjoyable listen - the beryllium driver has handled everything I've thrown at it so far - and considering the price really good.

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #1,293 of 2,092
So these are the EQ settings I'm working with. It's essentially the 2019v2 harman target but with a small boost at 120 hz and a small shelf in the sub-bass.

The red is the target and the blue is the UM 3DT:

And here is after EQ:

Great to see it fits to the target pretty flawlessly and just does the following:
- boost sub-bass a touch
- gets rid of the bass-to-mid bloat
- tames the treble a bit

Again, I'm using these EQ settings with the new Azla Crystal tips but it also sounds great with the Xelastec and Azla stock tips that it came with.
so,
it becomes Thieaudio Monarch with 50ohm resistor?

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,294 of 2,092
I couldn't find a graph with the Monarch at 50 ohm but here's no resistor, 20 ohm, and 100 ohm as blue, green, purple, respectively against my target which is red.

monarchvstarget.jpg

It takes quite a bit of EQ for the monarch to get to where I'd like it. And it does change the sound quite dramatically.

When both the 3DT and Monarch are set to my target with EQ the Monarch still has more range in the sub-bass and treble. Such is probably due to the nature of the larger dynamic driver and the electrostats. Still, the coherence is now noticeably worse in the Monarch where the mids sound more plastic, and the treble more wispy.

If you're familiar with TVs I'd compare them to IPS vs quantum-dot VA. The latter has more contrast, especially in HDR but its colors are off especially if you move a bit to the side. The former has less contrast but what colors it does have are more-or-less perfect regardless of whether you're watching dead-center. Still waiting for the OLED of IEMs. Perhaps that's an all custom BA set like the Anole VX.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #1,295 of 2,092
I couldn't find a graph with the Monarch at 50 ohm but here's no resistor, 20 ohm, and 100 ohm as blue, green, purple, respectively against my target which is red.

It takes quite a bit of EQ for the monarch to get to where I'd like it. And it does change the sound quite dramatically.

When both the 3DT and Monarch are set to my target with EQ the Monarch still has more range in the sub-bass and treble. Such is probably due to the nature of the larger dynamic driver and the electrostats. Still, the coherence is now noticeably worse in the Monarch where the mids sound more plastic, and the treble more wispy.

If you're familiar with TVs I'd compare them to IPS vs quantum-dot VA. The latter has more contrast, especially in HDR but its colors are off especially if you move a bit to the side. The former has less contrast but what colors it does have are more-or-less perfect regardless of whether you're watching dead-center. Still waiting for the OLED of IEMs. Perhaps that's an all custom BA set like the Anole VX.
Correct,
OLED of iem is Anole VX & Softears RS10,
for more of a budget option, Seeaudio Neo,

the purest form would be Shure KSE,
but I don't consider it as an iem,

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #1,296 of 2,092
So now with 3 competent IEMs at 3 very different price points I thought I would compare them listening to some metal songs.

GK10 - $50
3DT - $320
Monarch - $730

As I Lay Dying - Destruction or Strength
GK10 < Monarch << 3DT (this means I greatly prefer the 3DT over the Monarch and I prefer the Monarch over the GK10)
- Benefits greatly from the perfect timbre of the dynamic drivers in the 3DT

Spiritbox - Holy Roller
3DT << GK10 < Monarch
- Needs that sub-bass rumble that the 3DT lacks

Veil of Maya - Viscera
GK10 < Monarch < 3DT
- Needs that dynamic driver timbre to sound raw and visceral and just on the edge of harsh
- Benefits from more sub-bass (GK10 and Monarch) so there's some pros and cons to all the IEMs here

Fit For A King - Breaking the Mirror
3DT = Monarch << GK10
- Absolutely slamming bass. Huge surprise how much better the bass slam in the GK10 made this song out to be.

Fellowship - Glint
GK10 < Monarch << 3DT
- Benefits greatly from the timbre of the 3DT

Unleash The Archers - Abyss
Orbit Culture - The Shadowing
Orpheus Omega - In Time

GK10 << 3DT << Monarch
- Benefits from more resolution

Tool - Jambi
3DT = Monarch << GK10
- Slamming bass

Honestly the biggest surprise was that the GK10 was actually my preferred IEM to listen to for those couple songs.

Edit: I should also clarify that this comparison was made with all IEMs EQ'd to about the same target. Without any EQ, the 3DT is preferred by far over the other two since both (GK10, Monarch) have a bad frequency response with respect to metal music.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #1,297 of 2,092
So now with 3 competent IEMs at 3 very different price points I thought I would compare them listening to some metal songs.

GK10 - $50
3DT - $320
Monarch - $730

As I Lay Dying - Destruction or Strength
GK10 < Monarch << 3DT (this means I greatly prefer the 3DT over the Monarch and I prefer the Monarch over the GK10)
- Benefits greatly from the perfect timbre of the dynamic drivers in the 3DT

Spiritbox - Holy Roller
3DT << GK10 < Monarch
- Needs that sub-bass rumble that the 3DT lacks

Veil of Maya - Viscera
GK10 < Monarch < 3DT
- Needs that dynamic driver timbre to sound raw and visceral and just on the edge of harsh
- Benefits from more sub-bass (GK10 and Monarch) so there's some pros and cons to all the IEMs here

Fit For A King - Breaking the Mirror
3DT = Monarch << GK10
- Absolutely slamming bass. Huge surprise how much better the bass slam in the GK10 made this song out to be.

Fellowship - Glint
GK10 < Monarch << 3DT
- Benefits greatly from the timbre of the 3DT

Unleash The Archers - Abyss
Orbit Culture - The Shadowing
Orpheus Omega - In Time

GK10 << 3DT << Monarch
- Benefits from more resolution

Tool - Jambi
3DT = Monarch << GK10
- Slamming bass

Honestly the biggest surprise was that the GK10 was actually my preferred IEM to listen to for those couple songs.

Great comparison, 👍

You might like this songs,

Screenshot_20210811-221952502 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20210811-222509155 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20210811-222034645 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20210811-222427637 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,299 of 2,092
Can anyone compare the 3dt with lz a7?

Curious to how they compare.

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,300 of 2,092
I followed the same path as you. Bought the B2 Dusk a few months ago but found it lacking for metal so picked up the 3DT last week. First impressions are positive and now I'm also looking around for tip and cable upgrades. Cheers!
For tips for metal music I can't recommend the Azla Xelastec/Crystal (the full size crystal not the true wireless version) enough. By using TPE/LSR instead of the standard silicone they seem to quicken the attack and decay which blunts the body of the notes a bit but makes it possible to hear more detail in fast-paced metal music-especially in the drum kit or during electric guitar solos.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #1,301 of 2,092
For tips for metal music I can't recommend the Azla Xelastec/Crystal (the full size crystal not the true wireless version) enough. By using TPE/LSR instead of the standard silicone they seem to quicken the attack and decay which blunts the body of the notes a bit but makes it possible to hear more detail in fast-paced metal music-especially in the drum kit or during electric guitar solos.
Another interesting material would be Carbon,
Epro EP-01,
might worth checking out,

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #1,302 of 2,092
I believe the Epros are just your standard silicone mixed with some (probably very small amount of considering their price) graphene. From the reviews I've checked out, the sound doesn't seem to be much changed from your standard silicone with a horn shape such as the Radius Deep Mount.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #1,303 of 2,092
Oh, and one more thought on tips. This could just be my ears since most people seem to love them but Spinfits-any of their models-just make the sound more muffled. Too much reverb or something I guess? I dunno why but I've tried everything up until the 500s and they all have the same muffled sound to my ears. Otherwise, I don't find too big a difference among all other silicone tips I've tried aside from the Final E/Deep Mount which is probably just due to the more horn-like shape.

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #1,305 of 2,092
The pretty reckless are one of my favorite bands.

Nice track.

How are the MEST MK2 for listening to rock/metal ?
it's pretty amazing,
all the details really grab your attention without any fatigue,

but it could get pretty annoying if using it while study or something,
not relaxed at all,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back