IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #841 of 2,092
Hello!
I currently have the Sony mh755 and I'm looking for an upgrade under $150.
But a quick disclaimer-- I'm not much of an audiophile

I'm currently looking at the Etymotic ER3SE at $75, Etymotic ER4SR at $140, Etymotic ER2SE at $60, and the new Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro at $150. Which one of these would be the best for metal? Or are there any other better options for this price range? Or should I just stick with the mh755 that I got for $7 instead of upgrading?

My setup is the Samsung S20 FE (I still need to buy a dongle) and Spotify at their highest bitrate.

And I typically listen to stuff with fast drumming like Mgła, Misþyrming, Taake, Zhrine, Alcest, Moonsorrow, Behemoth, and Blood Incantation.. But I also listen to some rock and lesser extreme metal bands like Staind, Queens of the Stone Age, Smashing Pumpkins (90's albums), Megadeth, Porcupine Tree, Karnivool, Devin Townsend, Sabaton, and Falconer

Any help is much appreciated!

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #842 of 2,092
Hello!

I'm currently looking at the Etymotic ER3SE at $75, Etymotic ER4SR at $140, Etymotic ER2SE at $60, and the new Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro at $150. Which one of these would be the best for metal? Or are there any other better options for this price range? Or should I just stick with the mh755 that I got for $7 instead of upgrading?

My setup is the Samsung S20 FE (I still need to buy a dongle) and Spotify at their highest bitrate.

And I typically listen to stuff with fast drumming like Mgła, Misþyrming, Taake, Zhrine, Alcest, Moonsorrow, Behemoth, and Blood Incantation.. But I also listen to some rock and lesser extreme metal bands like Staind, Queens of the Stone Age, Smashing Pumpkins (90's albums), Megadeth, Porcupine Tree, Karnivool, Devin Townsend, Sabaton, and Falconer

Be warned that the SE/SR versions of Etymotic IEMs are reference tuned, and have very little bass, especially if coming from the MH755. Just curious where you are finding those prices?

Some of my go-to recommendations for metal are:
- Shozy Form 1.1, if you like a warm and bassy sound signature. The bass is fast enough for metal IMO.
- KZ BA10 if you want a more detailed and IEM, but still with potent BA bass.
- If really wanting an Etymotic, I would recommend the ER3XR for more speed, but a bit darker, or the ER2XR for deeper bass, a more natural sound, and more treble. The ER4XR is of course a great option as well.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #843 of 2,092
Hello!

You have good musical taste!

For your musical tastes and budget the ThieAudio Legacy 3 is my first thought. They're really good all-rounders and easy to drive, can handle black metal exceptionally well to my ears.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #844 of 2,092
I just got my Tripowin TC-01 in the mail after reading about them in this thread.

For the price, these have no right to sound this good. :) They really pack a punch and seem to be able to keep up with everything I’ve thrown at them so far.

I think they have a sound signature that really agrees with my ears.

Not bad at all.

edit: and they’re comfy. They melt right into my ears. They put the Z5 to shame in that regard!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #846 of 2,092
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #847 of 2,092
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #848 of 2,092
I just got my Tripowin TC-01 in the mail after reading about them in this thread.

For the price, these have no right to sound this good. :) They really pack a punch and seem to be able to keep up with everything I’ve thrown at them so far.

I think they have a sound signature that really agrees with my ears.

Not bad at all.

edit: and they’re comfy. They melt right into my ears. They put the Z5 to shame in that regard!

agreed with your assessment

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #849 of 2,092
For my metal listening it's definitely top of the heap. The Shozy 1.1 might come out more when I need dat bass for my hip hop, but this one is certainly more all around. Gonna be doing some more tip rolling perhaps and pick up a balanced cable just for the sake of ye old BTR5 (it's got the input, might as well).

BELIEVE is a really good all rounder single DDunder $200 IMO

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #850 of 2,092
BELIEVE is a really good all rounder single DDunder $200 IMO

Single vs multi/hybrid is a funny thing because one side has coherency and one side has separation. Both sides have their merits and I'm not saying one can't have the the quality of the other, but man it does make me want to keep on upgrading just to try out more at this price range lol.

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #851 of 2,092
Hey guys,

coming from FH3 and H40 (also Sony N3 but the fit was horrible for me), what would be a serious upgrade to these IEMs up to 500$?

Most of the time (about 70%) I listen to some kinds of metal (death, black, progressive, doom), otherwise some (stoner) rock, hip hop, rap end electro.
I also use my IEMs for movies, so they should also be good in that part.

I like some deep, fast and full bass and a good and open soundstage. I'm very sensitive to shoutiness and too forward sounding mids. More relaxed sounding but with some airiness and detail.

Any recommendations?

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #852 of 2,092
Hey guys,

coming from FH3 and H40 (also Sony N3 but the fit was horrible for me), what would be a serious upgrade to these IEMs up to 500$?

Most of the time (about 70%) I listen to some kinds of metal (death, black, progressive, doom), otherwise some (stoner) rock, hip hop, rap end electro.

I like some deep, fast and full bass and a good and open soundstage. I'm very sensitive to shoutiness and too forward sounding mids. More relaxed sounding but with some airiness and detail.

Any recommendations?

The FH7 has been getting a lot of love in this thread not just in the sub-$500 range, but just overall.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #853 of 2,092
Hey guys,

Any recommendations?

As you have been told, the FiiO FH7 is very good for this genre, and meets most of the characteristics that you mention.

Good bass, not too powerful but very fast and with impact (beryllium driver), huge scene, very relaxed upper midrange, and with very defined and never shouty treble.

It is still one of my favorites, after having tried many more (and much more expensive).

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #854 of 2,092
As you have been told, the FiiO FH7 is very good for this genre, and meets most of the characteristics that you mention.

Good bass, not too powerful but very fast and with impact (beryllium driver), huge scene, very relaxed upper midrange, and with very defined and never shouty treble.

It is still one of my favorites, after having tried many more (and much more expensive).
I agree, it offers great value for the price. It was my first IEM and I really liked it. I sold it when I upgraded, but I may pick one up again...

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #855 of 2,092
I agree, it offers great value for the price. It was my first IEM and I really liked it. I sold it when I upgraded, but I may pick one up again...

How is the Nio compared to the FH7?
I'm about to buy a new IEM, and I'm deciding between the Nio and the Mest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back