IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #541 of 2,091
Dude, you just reminded me I haven't listened to Powerslave with the NM2+.
I don't know if I'll make it since I've been on the Paypal checkout screen like three times now, but I'd definitely like to hear your impressions when you get them.
I have a Monndrop Starfield and couldn't stop listening to the whole discography... imagine with a better DD like the NM2+... haha!
Also... I truly recommned Helloween live album with Kiske and Andy Deris. Just... fun fun fun.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #542 of 2,091
this is my Playlist, kinda mix but still "noisy"
deezer

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #543 of 2,091
Me listening on IER-Z1R
1606280659786.png

My ears are bleeding.
This IEM is for treble heads.

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #544 of 2,091
Nov 25, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #545 of 2,091
Really leaning towards getting the A7 for metal. Anyone here who has them listen to a lot of Power and Thrash? I'm more focused on the riffs and vocals but I like kick drum to have good impact.

I've found with my NM2+ they sound great with around 70% of my library (like bigger and better than the DK2001 at half the cost), but the spiky upper frequencies just don't mesh with some albums. Note weight can be lacking. Things can get kind of congested on busy passages too. Would the A7 be the antidote here?
I listen to thrash on A7 they sound better than NM2+ (I own both) listening to Helstar- A distant thunder on LZ A7 right now, sounds really good for my ears on silver filter monitor mode. I like the airiness and speed of silver. Even on red filter (most bassiest filter) Havok - Confirmicide sounds good. I've tested a bunch of thrash bands like Coroner, Atheist, Sepultura, Violator, Amorphia,Metal church.. everything sounds good on these. This is my first iem with swappable filters which works great for my diverse taste in music.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #546 of 2,091
Really tempted to jump on the Shozy 1.1 at $68 but I’m not entirely sure if it’ll be a worthwhile purchase / much of an upgrade over the Blon BL-03s I have currently. The Blons have a lot of bass for my tastes. Certainly makes for some impactful listening but it does seem to dominate on faster, more technical tracks. I mostly listen to death metal and tech death and sometimes the bass is just flat out overpowering. But I will say, for $30 these Blons have well exceeded my expectations and I listen to them a ton.

I may just hold out for the A7s or B2s.

Anyone here try the Drop + JVC HA-FDX1? Crin’s review of them is pretty stellar and they’re $200 currently. Thinking they may be too neutral for extreme metal though.
NM2+ is a better option, it's more technically capable than FDX1. I was planning to get the same but after hearing about NM2+, I got those. They do really well for death/tech death. Ulcerate, Defeated Sanity, Cattle Decapitation sounds pretty good on NM2+. I have not tried the Blon but from what I've heard of them, don't expect such bass. Bass on NM2+ is more fast and clean, it's more in quality than quantity. LZ A7 is defenitely a step above NM2+. If your budget is $150 NM2+ is a very good option, if you have $300 go for LZ A7.

Nov 25, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #547 of 2,091
A
Somewhere 300 a 400 euro
Stretch a bit more a get the Fearless S8F for 450$. Enuff bass to kick your heart and exceptionally good for extreme metal

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #548 of 2,091
I don’t know much about this genre, but LZ A7 (black-monitor setting) sounds bit better than the DUNU SA6 with metals. Also UM MEST seemed to excel with metal music, but I sold it to fund the IER-Z1R which is so so (amazing with classical and many other genres though).

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #549 of 2,091
IER-Z1R which is so so (amazing with classical and many other genres though)
The Z1R is so amazing?
or
The Z1R is so-so overall.....yet amazing with classical music and other genres?
or
The Z1R is so-so with metal......yet amazing with classical music and other genres?

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #550 of 2,091
Stretch a bit more a get the Fearless S8F for 450$. Enuff bass to kick your heart and exceptionally good for extreme metal
One caveat, the S8F has BA bass, which I certainly believe you is exceptional for extreme metal, but not if one is expecting DD bass.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #551 of 2,091
NM2+ is a better option, it's more technically capable than FDX1. I was planning to get the same but after hearing about NM2+, I got those. They do really well for death/tech death. Ulcerate, Defeated Sanity, Cattle Decapitation sounds pretty good on NM2+. I have not tried the Blon but from what I've heard of them, don't expect such bass. Bass on NM2+ is more fast and clean, it's more in quality than quantity. LZ A7 is defenitely a step above NM2+. If your budget is $150 NM2+ is a very good option, if you have $300 go for LZ A7.
The NM2+ looks like a really nice option. Price is right too. Appreciate the recommendation.

Fast and clean bass will be an improvement over the Blons I think. Tracks like Xoth's Unseen Abductor and Of Feather and Bone Entropic Self Immolation tend to overwhelm the Blons with the fast double bass and blast beats.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #552 of 2,091
The NM2+ looks like a really nice option. Price is right too. Appreciate the recommendation.

Fast and clean bass will be an improvement over the Blons I think. Tracks like Xoth's Unseen Abductor and Of Feather and Bone Entropic Self Immolation tend to overwhelm the Blons with the fast double bass and blast beats.
Two things to know about the NM2+ are that the upper midrange frequencies are quite boosted, and may take some time to get used to, and require some tip rolling. Also, regarding metal, when things get really fast and complex, the sound can get compressed, and start to become an amorphous wall of sound. This is really a limitation of it being a single DD IEM. Maybe only the really expensive ($1000-2000) single DD IEMs can avoid such compression.

It is an outstanding IEM though, and I do recommend it over the FDX1.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #553 of 2,091
Two things to know about the NM2+ are that the upper midrange frequencies are quite boosted, and may take some time to get used to, and require some tip rolling. Also, regarding metal, when things get really fast and complex, the sound can get compressed, and start to become an amorphous wall of sound. This is really a limitation of it being a single DD IEM. Maybe only the really expensive ($1000-2000) single DD IEMs can avoid such compression.

It is an outstanding IEM though, and I do recommend it over the FDX1.
Thanks for the insight! THe NM2+ certainly seems like it should be on my shortlist. I'm still new to IEMs and need to do some exploring on the tip options. I've only ever used the silicone tips that are typically included from the OEM.

Would something with a BA or hybrid driver be better suited for fast metal?

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #554 of 2,091
Thanks for the insight! THe NM2+ certainly seems like it should be on my shortlist. I'm still new to IEMs and need to do some exploring on the tip options. I've only ever used the silicone tips that are typically included from the OEM.

Would something with a BA or hybrid driver be better suited for fast metal?
It really depends on the specific IEM, as the NM2+ is far superior in many ways to a lot of hybrids. I’m afraid I don’t have much experience with all-BA IEMs, at least not in this price range. Perhaps the FiiO FH3 would be very good for metal, but I no longer have it to test out.

Regarding the NM2+, I think the included ear tips are good, with 2 options.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #555 of 2,091
One caveat, the S8F has BA bass, which I certainly believe you is exceptional for extreme metal, but not if one is expecting DD bass.

If you don't expect extreme sub bass rumble and air, S8F sub and mid bass is exceptional. Metal music is relying more on mid rather than sub bass presence therefore IMO its perfect in amount and technicalities for the price. I'm am yet to find better tuned and better fitting iem. I'm lucky b/c fit is like ciem for me and with right tips magic happens. Favourite tips are Spinfits cp145 and Symbio peels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back