IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Nov 24, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #526 of 2,091
@Vruksha so how is lz a7 with extreme genres? I couldn't get them at 11.11, now black friday has come.
They do really well to my surprise these drivers are quiet fast even on the most bassiest red filter ( am always on monitor mode) Am playing Bloodincantation - 'Starspawn' album right now, sounds really good. They can defenitely do extreme metal well.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #527 of 2,091
I'm starting to gain interest on the 1.1, and i have final E tips in hand already, some1 push me over the edge please :ksc75smile:
Well for a different view, I don't rec them. The bass is bloaty and there's a sharp treble spike. Very fatiguing sound on two ends.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #528 of 2,091
What version of the UM MEST (International or JP, Custom or Universal) are you guys using with extreme metal out of curiosity?
I have the international UIEM MEST.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #531 of 2,091
Whats the next upgrade from a shozy 1.1, with the same quantity low end?
Only 1 person here saying its good for metal... well i really need a potent low end!
Pls advice

What's your price range?

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #533 of 2,091
Really leaning towards getting the A7 for metal. Anyone here who has them listen to a lot of Power and Thrash? I'm more focused on the riffs and vocals but I like kick drum to have good impact.

I've found with my NM2+ they sound great with around 70% of my library (like bigger and better than the DK2001 at half the cost), but the spiky upper frequencies just don't mesh with some albums. Note weight can be lacking. Things can get kind of congested on busy passages too. Would the A7 be the antidote here?

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #534 of 2,091
Really leaning towards getting the A7 for metal. Anyone here who has them listen to a lot of Power and Thrash? I'm more focused on the riffs and vocals but I like kick drum to have good impact.

I've found with my NM2+ they sound great with around 70% of my library (like bigger and better than the DK2001 at half the cost), but the spiky upper frequencies just don't mesh with some albums. Note weight can be lacking. Things can get kind of congested on busy passages too. Would the A7 be the antidote here?
Can you wait a few days? That's exactly the genres I listen to. Those ones plus Iron Maiden!
My A7 is arriving in a few days!

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #535 of 2,091
Can you wait a few days? That's exactly the genres I listen to. Those ones plus Iron Maiden!
My A7 is arriving in a few days!

Dude, you just reminded me I haven't listened to Powerslave with the NM2+.
I don't know if I'll make it since I've been on the Paypal checkout screen like three times now, but I'd definitely like to hear your impressions when you get them.

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #536 of 2,091

Yes. (short answer, but the LZ A7 really does address those issues. It’s very versatile with 10 actually different tunings)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #537 of 2,091
Really tempted to jump on the Shozy 1.1 at $68 but I’m not entirely sure if it’ll be a worthwhile purchase / much of an upgrade over the Blon BL-03s I have currently. The Blons have a lot of bass for my tastes. Certainly makes for some impactful listening but it does seem to dominate on faster, more technical tracks. I mostly listen to death metal and tech death and sometimes the bass is just flat out overpowering. But I will say, for $30 these Blons have well exceeded my expectations and I listen to them a ton.

I may just hold out for the A7s or B2s.

Anyone here try the Drop + JVC HA-FDX1? Crin’s review of them is pretty stellar and they’re $200 currently. Thinking they may be too neutral for extreme metal though.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #538 of 2,091
Whats the next upgrade from a shozy 1.1, with the same quantity low end?
Only 1 person here saying the lz a7 its good for metal... well i really need a potent low end!
Pls advice
IMR Aten (wait for Black Friday discount to kick in and it will be right in your budget). Monstrous dynamics, low-end brimming with power, aggressive treble, rather V-shaped but still great guitar presence.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #540 of 2,091
Really tempted to jump on the Shozy 1.1 at $68 but I’m not entirely sure if it’ll be a worthwhile purchase / much of an upgrade over the Blon BL-03s I have currently. The Blons have a lot of bass for my tastes. Certainly makes for some impactful listening but it does seem to dominate on faster, more technical tracks. I mostly listen to death metal and tech death and sometimes the bass is just flat out overpowering. But I will say, for $30 these Blons have well exceeded my expectations and I listen to them a ton.

I may just hold out for the A7s or B2s.

Anyone here try the Drop + JVC HA-FDX1? Crin’s review of them is pretty stellar and they’re $200 currently. Thinking they may be too neutral for extreme metal though.
The Form 1.1 are good, IF you like a warm signature with a lot of bass, and IF you’re not particularly sensitive to an 8KHz peak, though narrow bore eat tips or foam tips help with that. The Form 1.1 bass is MUCH faster than that of the BL03, with much better transient attack and decay. The whole spectrum is a lot more textured and detailed as well. The timbral accuracy isn’t as good as the BL03 though, and the tuning is a matter of personal taste. The mid bass is notably boosted on the 1.1, and with certain genres of music, it can sound bloated bleed into the midrange, but still less than the BL03 due to the quality of bass.

Saving up for the very versatile LZ A7 is always a good idea. I‘ve never heard the Blessing 2.

I personally don’t like the FDX1 for hard rock/metal. The upper midrange, particularly around 4KHz is really intense, even with mods. It causes some female vocals to sound very shouty, and a lot of electric guitars to sound so intense, that my ears can’t tolerate it enough to differentiate the instruments, and they blur together in a cacophony of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back