IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Aug 1, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #17 of 2,092
awesome. subbed
im on the campfire Atlas and fiio Q5 amp
fantastic sound big meaty bass—both sub and mid, slight slight recessed mid and treble but overall great separation
recent bands: bruce dickinson “space cowboys”, dark tranquillity-any, amorphis “under the red cloud”-album, Kataklysm

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 2,092
Tia Fourte.... this is really hard to describe. For metal, hmmm... my initial thought were not at all, especially for black metal, thrash metal, where you can hardly hear bass guitar.
Right now, I am listening to Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (vinyl rip) and, it is excellent :)
Really hard to explain. There is no bass rumble here, but you can hear bass guitar (have a listen and try to capture bass).
I have got A12 as well, I like these with metal a lot. A lot of bass, punchy, meaty sound, but with Fourte it is like subwoofer, there is no bass like in A12.
To describe it more, imagine you just turn off bass in the mix, and with A12 it will be still ok, with Fourte it will be a liite bit harsh I would say. But with bass guitar on, Fourte is incredible. You can feel that border between bass (subwoofer?) and the mids. That bass compensate the treble that someone could feel as harsh.

Tia Fourte with stock cable and foam tips, still waiting for Mandarins. A12 with cheap Fiio cable (SPC).

New Judas Priest veeery nice with Fourtes.

Tia Fourte was tooo harsh to me with silicon tips, but with foams is very nice. A12 however is nice as well :). Should I sell one or keep both, thats the question :)

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #19 of 2,092
Oriolus MKII works well with metal/rock. But it also depends on your preferred sound sig. I can listen to metal with a bright-ish iem...

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 2,092
With metal and rock I almost always prefer something neutral/reference in signature. Subbass extension can be rolled off for all I care. I also like some warmth in the vocal region.

Etymotics ER4SR is ok, vocals are rather forward and engaging. Not sure if people will enjoy it since it may be a little too bright for longer hours of listening. However cymbals are all well expressed with good transients and the beat is easy to follow. Vocals are nicely forward which is ideal for rock/metal imo.

InEar PP8 is also a good critical listening monitor for rock/metal. Cymbals are slightly dark so there isnt any fatigue at all. A little emotionless though.

PEARS SH-3 imo, is the ideal iem for rock and metal. Fantastic transients on the cymbals that is filled with sparkle and air. It just has the right amount of splash. Vocal range is also slightly warm which provides some emotion to the music. Bass, like the ER4, is fast albeit not as tight.

Hidition NT6 and Viento Reference are also very much fantastic for rock/metal. NT6 is very airy with body to its vocals. Cymbals never get tiring on my ears. Viento is just reckless fun.

In terms of pure clarity and detail, I do think Jomo Samba takes the cake. It just hurls details in rock/metal at you. Stupid fun V-shaped signature.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Aug 13, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #21 of 2,092
I've just done an A/B/(C) between the Westone W20, NuForce x Massdrop EDC3 and the Massdrop Plus...
To me the winner is the EDC3.

There's definitely less bass here, but it's slightly more coherent. The midrange is a little busier, but all the sweeter for it. It's a really easy-to-like IEM.
I'm decently familiar with the W20s and I feel it's a little less interesting overall. And finally, I didn't find the EDC3's magic in the Massdrop Plus at all. I'm not familiar with them at all yet so maybe my ears need time to get used to them. I also still can't get a good fit with these (my ears do NOT take foam tips at all).

I used tracks from Fleshgod Apocalypse's latest, and the immortal Sons of Winter and Stars by Wintersun.

EDIT: going from the W20s to the Massdrop Plus, though, listening to Gorod's Varangian Paradise REALLY bumped the ooomph factor. I underestimated the Plus. More to come...
EDIT2: yeah the M+ are much warmer than the EDC3, which focuses on the midrange and bass clarity as opposed to quantity.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #24 of 2,092
Recently I tested CA Andromeda. DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN, I think these are the best IEMs I have ever heard. Amazing in metal music - great instruments separation, punchy bass, powerful, full midrange, greatly accented highs with enerhy and without hissing. Great soundstage and instruments placement.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #25 of 2,092
At the moment I like the KZ ED16 for Doom/Stoner/(Post) Black Metal/Shoegaze/Melodic Death Metal/...
Only problem: They don't like old records that much. Rainbow is terrible, old Black Sabbath can be a pain for the ears, too, as well as others. Problem is, sibilants can be harsh, as well as cymbals. With modern recordings no problem, the old ones.. well...nope
That's the reason why I prefer the Havi B3 Pro1 at the moment. They are quiet neutral sounding, so no v shaping or something like that. But sometimes I would like to have a bit more at the low end (which is quiet easy, when using an EQ). But I guess I will check out some more IEMs, hopefully I will find my holy grail without killing my bank account :D

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #27 of 2,092
Sub

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #28 of 2,092
Earbuds compatible with foam tips, that sound like speakers? (recommendations)

Tough to sum up this one, but essentially I find music (mostly rock and metal) sounds great on my pretty basic PC speakers (Creative Inspire T10 2.0), and even in my basic stock car stereo speakers. But it tends to not sound as good in my Soundmagic ES18 earbuds. Just sounds a bit overly separated and lacking oomph, not lacking bass specifically, something about that played from a speaker sound just suits this music better. The band Ghost for example.

Also, the foam tips I like are Veritas small, which fit 4.5-5.5mm nozzles, seem the same size as Comply S-400 I also have used. These are the only ones that really work for me, the standard ones don't do it for me. I know these are said to muffle it a bit, but I don't mind that.

There's a compatibility chart with some of the ones that work for these size of tips over here:

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-S-400...F8&qid=1430024608&sr=8-4&keywords=comply+s400

I have tried the bit better SoundMagic E10s, I don't remember those hitting the spot either. I stocked up on ES18s since they're great for podcasts and are cheap.

So, this is a pretty specific and niche request, but if anybody knows anything that might hit this spot for me, let me know, thanks! Looking for a warm and "speaker"-ish sound, a bit airy and less separated, less sterile, at least as much as you can get from earbuds. And preferably under 100 dollars or so.

On stuff mentioned in above posts, I also like to not have harsh sibilance or listening fatigue, and V-shaped is nice. I know I'm looking for a cheaper price range, but I think I'm easy to please in some ways. Plus in a way I'm trying to emulate decent cheap speakers.

(Was just recommended I re-post this in here, thanks!)

edit:

Shorter version, let's ignore the separation thing, I could just use any recommendations for decent warm good earbuds compatible with these foam tips, for under 100. I'll try anything.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #30 of 2,092
A little taste of fun with accurateness Soundmagic E80, Vsonic GR-07 and Hifiman RE-400 for more neutral taste Phonak Pfes, RE-0 and Etymotics. Accurate and flat stage monitors with a little bass will be nice for metal music cannot advice any kind of V shaped EQs or warm profiles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back