IEM comfort - how do you wear yours?
Mar 4, 2006 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

harrydog

New Head-Fier
Are there any IEMs that aren't designed to be worn (or don't need to be worn) with the cables routed behind the ears? I find it somewhat uncomfortable and distracting. I have UM1s now and they don't seem to fit in the ear very well unless I have them positioned for the cables to run up and behind the ears.

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 15
er-6i work well with the cable hanging normally. I have never had a problem with fit because of it. Not sure about others tho. I believe the e4c are optional but preferably behind the ears like the rest of the shure line.

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 15
ER-6 can be worn behind the ears, and I sometimes wear them that way. Most of the time they are more comfortable worn with the wires straight down. My SF3s have the memory wire, it is best worn over the ears. If I snug the cable adjuster either behind my neck or under my chin, the memory wire tensions the line to create a really good secure fit that doesn't come loose or tug on the earphones no matter how I move.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 15
As far as I know, any of the IEMs that does not have a memory wire can be worn either over the ear or like a pair of earbuds.

These can definitely be worn like earbuds:

Shure E2/E3/E4

Etymotic ER6/ER6i/ER4p/ER4s

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 15
When I first used the Shure E4C's i actually used them hanging straight down. I thought it was a bit weird to route the wires over my ear but once you do you see the benefits of it. Now I replaced my E4C's with Super.fi 5pros with the memory wire which can ONLY be worn over the ear (k, i guess you could be a **** and prove otherwise
rolleyes.gif
) but this method is way better than standard "earbud" style with the wire hanging out, for two reasons.

One, it takes a lot of tugging and keeps them secure in your ears. I frequently run/bike with them in and have no problems keeping a good seal. Secondly it takes some of the strain off your ear canals in the long run, making them more comfortable for long periods of time. With them in it feels more like I'm wearing a pair of sunglasses than anything. And earbuds are just the worst feel, supporting anything from the INSIDE of your ear over a long period of time will be fatiguing but these are quite immune!

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
One, it takes a lot of tugging and keeps them secure in your ears. I frequently run/bike with them in and have no problems keeping a good seal. Secondly it takes some of the strain off your ear canals in the long run, making them more comfortable for long periods of time. With them in it feels more like I'm wearing a pair of sunglasses than anything. And earbuds are just the worst feel, supporting anything from the INSIDE of your ear over a long period of time will be fatiguing but these are quite immune!

Small bit of advice: Stop wearing them while running/biking?
tongue.gif
Unless you think you're safe not being able to hear what's happening.

Anyways, I have a pair of er6i's and when I use the foamies I don't feel discomfort for at least a few hours. Flanges are another story, I'm gonna ask Ety for the smaller bi-flanges which should help.

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 15
i use um1's with my 5G ipod, and they kick ass, i must say. i love the fact the cord wraps behind the ears. then pulling the plastic tube dealie up to my throatish area, theyre awesome. im wicked happy with my purchase

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 15
And that is good advice there. But generally biking on the winding singletrack through the woods that weaves its way up the foothills of LA is quite deserted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickennuggets
i use um1's with my 5G ipod, and they kick ass, i must say. i love the fact the cord wraps behind the ears. then pulling the plastic tube dealie up to my throatish area, theyre awesome. im wicked happy with my purchase

I'm very satisfied with my UM1's as well........

Jun 2, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #14 of 15
How do you wear yours, click your pick..
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydog /img/forum/go_quote.gif   I have UM1s now and they don't seem to fit in the ear very well unless I have them positioned for the cables to run up and behind the ears.

Harrydog, how are you wearing them now?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota /img/forum/go_quote.gif  er-6i work well with the cable hanging normally.

What is normal?
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif  I don't think you CAN wear Ety's with the cable behind the ears.

So its hanging down if front for you then.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gremlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif  ER-6 can be worn behind the ears, and I sometimes wear them that way.
Most of the time they are more comfortable worn with the wires straight down.
My SF3s have the memory wire, it is best worn over the ears. If I snug the cable adjuster either behind my neck or under my chin, the memory wire tensions the line to create a really good secure fit that doesn't come loose or tug on the earphones no matter how I move.

Sounds secure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev /img/forum/go_quote.gif  I always wear the er-6i with the cable hanging straight down. Never experienced any problems..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif  Ad infinitum. Everyone is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper994 /img/forum/go_quote.gif  As far as I know, any of the IEMs that does not have a memory wire can be worn either over the ear or like a pair of earbuds.

Do you think they were designed that way?
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I first used the Shure E4C's i actually used them hanging straight down. I thought it was a bit weird to route the wires over my ear but once you do you see the benefits of it.
Now I replaced my E4C's with Super.fi 5pros .. this method is way better than standard "earbud" style with the wire hanging out, for two reasons.

One, it takes a lot of tugging and keeps them secure in your ears.
Secondly it takes some of the strain off your ear canals in the long run, making them more comfortable for long periods of time. With them in it feels more like I'm wearing a pair of sunglasses than anything.
Earbuds are just the worst feel, supporting anything from the INSIDE of your ear over a long period of time will be fatiguing.

I though the sunglass helped hold them in.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif  I have a pair of er6i's and when I use the foamies I don't feel discomfort for at least a few hours. Flanges are another story..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennuggets /img/forum/go_quote.gif  i use um1's with my 5G ipod, and they kick ass .. i love the fact the cord wraps behind the ears. then pulling the plastic tube dealie up to my throatish area..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MaN /img/forum/go_quote.gif  I'm very satisfied with my UM1's as well........

How do you wear them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J /img/forum/go_quote.gif  I find the Shure E4s don't do so well in the earbud style. Mostly because of the shape, they actually work pretty good if you switch the left and right.

Maybe that the ticket.  If you want to wear over the ears as earbuds, try them up-side down. That is red in your left ear and blue  in your right.  Then when they are being pulled down, the ear phones will react like they are being pulled up.

I don't think up-side down is on the poll, but you can always add a note. 

Click your pick.. Poll: How do you wear yours ?

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 15
I used Iems a year ago, but i couldnt wear them for long sessions. I felt them uncomfortable. Maybe i should try silicon earbuds someday. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back