IEM/CIEM with a V-Shaped Sound?
May 16, 2012 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Peculier

100+ Head-Fier
I've done extensive auditioning of Westone 4s, SM3v2, Westone 3, Shure SE535 and other top tier universal BA earphones, but I never seemed to be able to like any of them. I have been a long user of TF10s, and I really enjoy their V-shaped sound signature. I always felt that the other top tier universal IEMs sounded thin, and hollow. Not to say that they are bad, obviously, just that I don't like how they sound. However, my TF10s broke and I'm looking to upgrade to either a new pair of IEMs with a similar sound signature.

I've read that the JVC FX700s have a similar V-shaped sound signature, but being vented, have poor isolation, and I intend to use these IEMs frequently in moderate noise environments like while commuting or walking outdoors. Most of the customs that I looked at, like the Unique Melody ones or Heir Audio ones all seem to lead towards a very accurate, neutral and flat sound signature. While great detail is never a bad thing, I don't want to buy a custom that I won't like, and have to deal with resale issues. The only custom IEM I have seen that seems to have a fun (not necessarily V-shaped) sound is the Heir Audio 8.A, but unfortunately that is way over my budget at this current point in time.

I did note that the TF10s had a slightly recessed midrange, but I wasn't bothered by it, and I really enjoyed the TF10s sound. I had no fit issues with the TF10 when using Complys or the smallest silicone ear tips that came with it, and bought an aftermarket cable to resolve the stock cable issues with the TF10. I can find a wide selection of IEMs at my local store (Jaben) and as such I can audition most universals and custom demos.

Can anyone recommend me a fun sounding IEM or CIEM that has a V-shaped sound signature (preferably under 800 USD), or at least one with a focus on the treble and lows? Basically just an upgrade/alternative from the TF10s.

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 7
JH-16, Thousand Sounds TS842 is a great upgrade to the TF10.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 7
  JH-16, Thousand Sounds TS842 is a great upgrade to the TF10.

Thanks for the reply and recs!

JH-16 price a little steep without testing first

I'm going to try to order a pair of the vague and elusive? TS842 after reading this review of it by average_joe: http://www.head-fi.org/t/553516/thousand-sound-ts842-review-appreciation-500-hybrid-custom-iem

Hopefully this will end my TF10 upgrade search once and for all-

Will report back later in that thread if successful - for science!

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Hows about Astrotec AX-60's? Similar sort of U shaped signature. Very fun and energetic. Great Bass and very good detail levels.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 7
If you really enjoyed the sound of the tf10 check the fa 4e xb it's said is a first class triple fi 10 check the thread they cost around 500 and people are comparing them with iems like the tg334 or sme6 which cost more than twice, i have them and i can say they are absolutely fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back