IEM/CIEM equal / better than DT-880 600 ohm
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chihwahli

Head-Fier
Hello all,

thanks to your help I bought the DT-880 600 ohm. Never regretted buying it. It's a wonderful headphone for the modest prize. But now I am looking for a IEM / CIEM (in combination with a mobile DAC) that has equal or slightly better sound.

- sound stage has to be the same or better.

I own the hardware:
- Schiit Bifrost 4490 (DT-880 600 ohm connected directly to it. No ampllifier)
- KZ ZS10 (directly connected to Bifrost)
- Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm

For mobile (thinking to purchase):
- Chord Mojo

The KZ ZS10 sounds a bit muffled compared to DT-880. The KZ does not sound clear to me.

Which IEM or CIEM would perform equal or slightly better than the DT-880 600 ohm? Money I am willing to spend? No idea....

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Well coming straight out of the dac could be a impedance issue with the ZS10 as the Bifrost has a output impedance of 75 ohms so way above what would be typical for them and the 600 ohm 880 is spot on with the 8 to 1 rule of thumb. I’ve seen several people here swear by coming straight out of a dac but I’m not one of them but to be truthful never have done it but probably never will as I like the manual control of a volume knob from a dedicated amplifier.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 7
You are going to be hard pressed to find any IEM that yields the same sort of soundstage experience as a good open headphone well-driven and with a good DAC. The IEM 'stage' is just a totally different experience, IMO. You may have a different experience, but that is mine. That said, if money is no major issue, I would probably look at an Andromeda. Impedance is 12.8 ohms, so you will have the same damping factor problem you have with your ZS10 on your Bifrost system. Of course, you have the Mojo, which is terrific, so there's that. If you wanted to solve your damping factor issues on the Bifrost system, you could always just buy a good but inexpensive amp like a Magni 3, which would drive all three of your headphones just fine and would be quite affordable. Personally, if you want to get the most out of your Bifrost system, I would say an amp is probably going to be required at some point. As mentioned by @buke9, too many impedance problems with these low-impedance phones. Good luck.

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Ah thank you both for the info. Never thought about damping factor before. Just thought the IEM is not good enough.

Thinking to start saving and go for a Chord mojo for now. Perhaps I will like the KZ ZS10 with chord mojo so much that I do not need 1 1000 euro IEM. I really hope so. =) Then I can spend it somewhere else. =p

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 7
new idea, going for a LG V20 2nd hand. For mobile use it should be more than enough. I hear good things about the V20. That phone would last me another 2~3 or more years. Saving me even more $$. Waiting for LG V20 now... For travel the V20 is much better I guess. light and good. (waiting for package...looking left ...right. Still! now here! order 5 minutes ago.. -.-)

Mojo is placed as a (perhaps) future plan.

Edit:
600 / 75 = 8, funny. never planned thiz.... =)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Received my LG V20 and tried it with my KZ ZS0. Quad DAC (hifi mode) enabled.

Played 16 bit FLAC files. Not bad! Not as good as my home set, but the difference is not huge. I am sure I have found my mobile music player for now. Just have to figure out which player and how to organise the files....

Saved all my FLAC files into Google drive. Used Foobar2000 and processed every file with replaygain. Set foobar2000 android replaygain setting that files without replaygain tag are lowered by 7 dB.

Edit:
Google for storage. Consistent storage for laptop and mobile
In Google I download the files. They are stored in folder download. Created a folder download/music

In Foobar added download/music as music folder

there are perhaps better ways, but for now it works..... =) ssooo happy with LG V20. (why didn't I buy it sooner)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back