IEM choices for metal drummers (Price Range - 200 to 500$)
May 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JazzDeath

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

My band has been playing lately with in-ear monitors, and my guitarists and singer all bought themselves some Shure Se535s. I had been using a low-end pair of Klipsch s4i's plugged directly into the console's headphone input so that I could monitor not only all of the tracks going into the console but also the click and samples coming from the computer (also going through the console, of course).

My klipsch headphones recently broke (right earpiece does not work anymore) and I find myself needing a replacement, so I used my guitarist's Se535's for a jam and realized that I found myself disliking the sound signature that these have.

Perhaps I had a bad fit in my ear but I found them to be rather bass light for what I do - Although I could hear the click track excessively well, even if I boosted my bass drum mic meter a good 10 dbs higher than the overheads/snare mic I still found myself struggling to hear a good bass drum definition, which is definitely a crucial point for me - since I play extreme metal I absolutely need to hear the bass drum, loud, clear, and very well defined, to ensure my tightness and optimal performance during fast and precise double-bass sections and patterns.

I was wondering which IEM's would best fit the bill for this type of situation within the 200 to 500 dollar price range.

I would also know if it might be a better to bite the bullet and save up to get a custom IEM pair of 1964 Q's, but these are slightly above my budget, considering the shipping price to Canada, and the audiologist molds. It would cost me around 600 dollars to get these made and force another month of savings plus 2-3 weeks wait, delaying the time in which I would receive them.

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!

May 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 13
The Vsonic GR07 is the ultimate universal drummer's IEM, especially for metal. It has the best drum reproduction, and the sub-bass is to die for. Furthermore, it's probably in the top 8 fastest dynamic driver IEMs you can buy, so it'll easily keep up with double kick drums. Best of all, it costs less than $200.

I know all this because I've been drumming since age six on both drum sets and congo drums.

May 29, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 13
You might want to look into Aurisonics. Their headphones are made for performers and for the quality, the price can't be beat. Not to mention that they probably have the best customer service I've ever encountered. If you have any questions at all, I'm sure they will be happy to answer them for you.

May 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
You might want to look into Aurisonics. Their headphones are made for performers and for the quality, the price can't be beat. Not to mention that they probably have the best customer service I've ever encountered. If you have any questions at all, I'm sure they will be happy to answer them for you.

I own the ASG-1 as well as the GR07. 

I prefer the ASG-1 for listening, but if I had to play live I'd choose the GR07.

May 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 13
Those are probably my first choices in that price range.

If I were willing to invest inside the 400-500 dollar price range instead, are there better choices for what I do in that price range, or is it still better to think about the ASG-1/Gr07?

Also is it a worthy investment to think about the 1964Q's, will it make a drastic difference, or will it be slight?

May 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Those are probably my first choices in that price range.

If I were willing to invest inside the 400-500 dollar price range instead, are there better choices for what I do in that price range, or is it still better to think about the ASG-1/Gr07?

Also is it a worthy investment to think about the 1964Q's, will it make a drastic difference, or will it be slight?

That I can't help you with.

On my profile, you'll see the iems I've tried. The GR07 bests all of those for live drumming.

May 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 13
The Westone 4, UM3x, Westone 3 has good bass impact and overall they are very detailed to shows micro details in other frequency spectrum. Few more IEMs like Sennheiser IE80, PFE232 offers great clarity in music and good punchy bass.

May 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 13
After assessing my options I've decided to try the Gr07 (after searching for where I can even buy them =P) due to low cost and generally very positive reviews, thanks eke for recommending these - I had never even heard of them!

May 31, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
After assessing my options I've decided to try the Gr07 (after searching for where I can even buy them =P) due to low cost and generally very positive reviews, thanks eke for recommending these - I had never even heard of them!

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back