IEM advice
Jul 5, 2011 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nistrum

New Head-Fier
First post, I've been a lurker for a while I guess.

I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs. I produce music and like analytical, detailed and colourless sound in the hope that it influences me in the right ways. I've got some Senn HD380s that I'd take everywhere with me if I could.

I'm plugging into my HTC Desire-S phone. I'm unlikely to buy a separate portable amp unless there's a lot to gain in doing so (I don't carry a handbag :). I've got fairly small and sensitive ear canals so I'm concerned about fit and weight. I'm likely to use these on public transport so I'd like good isolation and basically the largest, most precise soundstage I can take everywhere with me.

I have read most of the big IEM post on here and the usual suspects of the Fischer DBA-02 and Senn IE8 are on my radar. I can't go much above the price of these two. I understand there have been new offerings since these so I might be a bit behind the times.

I'd love to hear some input from the experts on here.

Thanks,
Matt

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 9
The Grado GR10 are analytical, detailed colourless sounding IEMs with great instrument separation, imaging and placement. Etymotic HF5 are also known for there detailed soundsignature and they can fit even in small ears. The Sennheiser IE8 are warm (everyday fun sounding) IEMs and they emphesis on bass but soundstage is really wide and open( shows good details in mids and highs).

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 9
Many thanks for the replies guys. I don't want some musical sounding buds so I guess the IE8s are out. The Grados had me drooling on my keyboard but they've priced me out of the market.

q-JAYS do look great but it seems that the HF5s would marginally beat them on microphonics and have a better top end. It also reads like HF5s would be less coloured than DBA-02s. From what I can gather, from just reading reviews anyway, the HF5s might be just what I need. Inexpensive too.

Thanks for the sound advice :0)

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 9
The q-jays are very very small if you are concerned about fitting small canals. I owned them for a while and found them rather poor sounding, but others lavish praise on them. My current RE-262 run circles around them.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 9
Yea, I think the q-jays are off my shopping list. Etymotic is my current favourite. I'm actually looking at the ER4-PT at the moment, they're still in my price range and look like they're an upgrade from HF-5s.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 9
They've come and they are just plain awesome! Really close to the character I was looking for. I never thought I'd get such presence out of a tiny bud. They sound like I've just rammed some full-sized monitors into my ears :)

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 9
Excellent. Grats on your new phones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back