IEM $100 Range
Jun 23, 2008 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elite801

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I've been wanting to upgrade from my stock i-buds and was looking the in $100 range max $120. After reading around for awhile, I came down to these choices:

Leaning towards -> Head-Direct RE2 (how's the isolation with this? The holes on the back makes me think it won't isolate well. Would foamies improve isolation?)
Westone UM1 (don't really like the transparency)
Jays D-jays
Etymotic ER-6i

I listen to rock/rap/techno/classical. Bass is nice, but i'm not a basshead. Decent soundstage would be sweet. I want the IEM to make the music seem livelier and exciting.
I'm looking to get one of these for my unamped ipod. Looking for good sound isolation, comfort, and durability. I need enough isolation to block out people talking/bus/car.

Any more suggestions on IEM's are welcomed
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 8
I have only heard the er6i and the um1's. With that said I think the westone um1's are a steal at there price point. They are the most comfy in ears I have ever used except for customs. They also isolate really well. They sit flush with the ear which is also nice. Good luck!

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Westone hands down.

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 8
I am of the opinion that the UM1s can't be beat in this price range.

That said, I bought my Super.fi 5 Pros for $120 and they beat out the UM1s, though they didn't crush them. I'd say save some money and get UM1s.

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 8
frown.gif
Im not particularly fond of the Westone's because of its transparency and its size. Do any other IEM's come close to the Westone's that are ~$100? If the UM1 is really that good then I guess Ill go with that.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 8
RE2 is definitely better than ER6i. The real choice I think is b/w RE2 and UM1. Instead of asking people who might only have one or the other, I think you should ask FrederikS|TPU for his opinion as he reviewed both UM1 and RE2.

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm in the same situation and I'm goiung for UM1's, I'll tell you what I think when I get them, but I live in the UK and am ordering from the US so it will probably take upto a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back