IE8 or SE530?
Feb 11, 2011 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Rebel908

New Head-Fier
So Best Buy has an offer for 20-30% off MP3 player accessories and they have the Se530 and IE8 on that list too.

What are y'all's opinion on them? Which one is better? I listen to primarily rock music, a lot of instrumental and vocal pop and bass heavy rap and hip hop.

I also have to get a 3rd item to get 30% off so I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD 598 because thats all they have in their stock thats worth getting IMO, they are out of HD600s.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 25
I auditioned the IE8's, and I wasnt too impressed with them. they sound really veiled, although many will argue that they open up after burn-in. Personally, I find the Coppers to be a better headphone in nearly every way. If I were you, I'd dismiss the enticing best buy offer and see if you could get the coppers for ~$200 at onecall. If you're settled on the IE8's, give J&R a call and offer them $250 for them; they'll usually bite

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 25
The IE8's are so much better than the SE530's, (and my all time favorite iems are ER4S', so I'm by no means a bass-head.) I would easily argue that the IE8's midrange is at least equal to the Shures, and everything else (bass, treble, soundstage) is much better. I think most of the people who try the IE8's, and come to the conclusion that they suck is either, a.) using fake IE8's, or b.) not giving them proper burn in time. The 530's are very much a last-generation iem from a time when technology in most earphones was pretty bad. Back then, they were great; but I really think technology has caught up with them & they're no longer a "top-tier" iem in my book, whatever "top-tier" means. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 25
I have ZERO idea how people actually like the IE8 yet can still bash the monster beats. When choosing between any headphone, you can easily exclude any with a flawed sound signature. In iems you could exclude anything with earbud like isolation, so that should make your decision much easier.

Hahah I love fanboys. Swap the fan item and the one being compared in all descriptions when reading in order to gain a more neutral idea.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 25

Quote:
I have ZERO idea how people actually like the IE8 yet can still bash the monster beats. 

confused_face_2.gif
 I'm confused by this statement. Are you suggesting that the overall balance is the only point of differentiation between different headphones and earphones? The IE8 and Beats both have exaggerated bass but if you EQ out the mid-bass hump of the IE8 (for argument's sake) you get an earphone with top-tier detail and clarity, a good headstage, and excellent presence across the range. If you EQ out the bass hump of the Beats you get a flat-sounding mess with no semblance of separation and detail around the level of a Koss PortaPro or PX100.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
I have ZERO idea how people actually like the IE8 yet can still bash the monster beats. When choosing between any headphone, you can easily exclude any with a flawed sound signature. In iems you could exclude anything with earbud like isolation, so that should make your decision much easier.

Hahah I love fanboys. Swap the fan item and the one being compared in all descriptions when reading in order to gain a more neutral idea.

Are you high? You're ramblings make absolutely no sense. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 25

The IE8's are so much better than the SE530's, (and my all time favorite iems are ER4S', so I'm by no means a bass-head.) I would easily argue that the IE8's midrange is at least equal to the Shures, and everything else (bass, treble, soundstage) is much better. I think most of the people who try the IE8's, and come to the conclusion that they suck is either, a.) using fake IE8's, or b.) not giving them proper burn in time. The 530's are very much a last-generation iem from a time when technology in most earphones was pretty bad. Back then, they were great; but I really think technology has caught up with them & they're no longer a "top-tier" iem in my book, whatever "top-tier" means. 

I completely disagree with this. The 530's have clearly been around a long time and have been surpassed by many iems but I really don't think that the ie8s are better. Ie8s are too bassy for my taste and for vocal pop I think that the 530s still compare pretty well to pretty much everything I've heard (still waiting to try the 535s).  

Feb 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 25

I am a big fan of the 530’s having owned 3 pairs (the cord has issues but shure has good customer service and will replace them within a week).  I originally owned the 500 and moved from there to the 530.  From the 530 I went on to the Earsonics SM3 and to be honest I kinda miss my 530’s.  It might just be nostalgia but to my memory they were just an easy and fun iem with fantastic mids.       

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 25
I am definitely not a bass addict, and have heard all of the top tier universals.  To my ears, the IE8 is clearly the winner in all aspects.  Sound stage can't be touched, it's as if the music is magnified 2x compared to all the other top tier's, if that makes any sense.  Detail, timbre, and comfort are all top notch.  I find the SE530 to be a little big and the cable a bit bulky.

If your source is able to EQ down the bass at 100Hz, and bump up the treble slightly, the IE8 will not sound veiled at ALL.

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:

Quote:
I have ZERO idea how people actually like the IE8 yet can still bash the monster beats. 

confused_face_2.gif
 I'm confused by this statement. Are you suggesting that the overall balance is the only point of differentiation between different headphones and earphones? The IE8 and Beats both have exaggerated bass but if you EQ out the mid-bass hump of the IE8 (for argument's sake) you get an earphone with top-tier detail and clarity, a good headstage, and excellent presence across the range. If you EQ out the bass hump of the Beats you get a flat-sounding mess with no semblance of separation and detail around the level of a Koss PortaPro or PX100.

I guess you're right. That didn't come out as I meant it.

The main point is that I would pick a car that does not need its tires changed before I can use it over a very similar car which does.

Quote:
Are you high? You're ramblings make absolutely no sense. 

You're funny.
In a bad way. Biased and irrational people usually are.

I'll start you off (with correct grammar included):
"The IE8s are very much a last-generation iem from a time when technology in most earphones was pretty bad. Back then they were great, but I really think technology has caught up with them and they're no longer a "top-tier" iem in my book, whatever "top-tier" means."
1 - audiophile technology crawls like a snail. 20 year old headphones are able to hold their ground today. The ER-4 is around 15 years old and is still one of the most neutral and transparent earphones ever. The IE8s themselves have accumulated reasonable age. The difference between them and the SE530 is insignificant.
2 - burn in is not equivalent of caterpillar to butterfly. I've compared my veteran ie8 with my friend's brand new one and it is not an argument to rely on when you're defending it.
3 - The IE8's mids are 'equal' to the SE530's in the same way that the SE530's soundstage is 'better' than the IE8. There are different tastes, and some people don't like an enormous tube soundstage accompanied by a phat midbass encroaching on the mids; it feels like swimming in molasses and chocolate.

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
I'll start you off (with correct grammar included):

You didn't even use correct grammar. . . Even saying so makes you look like you've got a chip on your shoulder.

Quote:
There are different tastes, and some people don't like an enormous tube soundstage accompanied by a phat midbass encroaching on the mids; it feels like swimming in molasses and chocolate.

Don't you feel hypocritical after calling him biased?  I mean this is a hobby where it's pretty much impossible to eliminate bias.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 25
Trysaeder, you say:

"I have ZERO idea how people actually like the IE8 yet can still bash the monster beats. "

Then you go on to say:

"The main point is that I would pick a car that does not need its tires changed before I can use it over a very similar car which does."

What does that even have to do with what you're talking about? The only thing I can really relate it to is you'd rather have a headphone with new ear pads rather than one that needs it's ear pads changed?

I don't get it man, can you please explain for all of us here what exactly you're talking about? Maybe your intelligence is just too advanced and beyond our comprehension but I'm really curious to understand what you're trying to get at.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 25
SE530 (imho) produces very high amount of sibilance - which hurts my ears even just after 10-15 minutes of usage.
IE8 is just warm, and you might as well use them while lying in bed, for hours - without hurting your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back