Ie8/Ie80 Mod for better sound. V2. Half Tape Mod. Photo added.
Mar 24, 2015 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dobrescu George

Reviewer: AudiophileHeaven
As many of you know, there is this mod of adding duct tape over ie8 for reducing veil, but it takes away soundstage, and everything, but takes away veil, and makes everything clearer.

after making some tries, with many different materials, with a few equations of including a de-pressurizing and over-pressure of dynamic driver, i had found the perfect mod

The one that was the final best resoult is the one on the bottom. you should try to accomplish that one. use black electrical isolation duct tape that is not too thick, this has prooved the best resoluts sonically.

the ideea is to make it from two parts and let a little free part, exactly where the volue parts are. you should immediatly hear sonic bliss.

This is just a personal discovery, feel free to use it, and give back impressions.

EDIT::: after some more usage, i found that this only works well with double flange tips. any other tips will give back veiled or not enough bass sound. this mod creates much more details in bass region, but modifies how bass is distributed, there is less veil, more sub bass and the mid bass hump now sounds musical and organic instead of veiled and too thick. it still is a little thick, if you ask me.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Could you please tell me if when using the tape mod the bass setting makes any difference, or does the tape mod totally cancel any effect of the bass tuning? I came from using a pair of Denon c710, which I realize were a bit more forward in the mids, but they still had a nice punchy bass for kick drums etc AND a nice deep low sub-bass - much lower than the IE80 can go. I was expecting the IE80 to at least match the c710 for sub-bass, but I am a little disappointed. I only have about 60 hours on them at the moment, but I don't think more burn in would open the sub-bass - or would it?

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 5
  Could you please tell me if when using the tape mod the bass setting makes any difference, or does the tape mod totally cancel any effect of the bass tuning? I came from using a pair of Denon c710, which I realize were a bit more forward in the mids, but they still had a nice punchy bass for kick drums etc AND a nice deep low sub-bass - much lower than the IE80 can go. I was expecting the IE80 to at least match the c710 for sub-bass, but I am a little disappointed. I only have about 60 hours on them at the moment, but I don't think more burn in would open the sub-bass - or would it?

The bass is a little over-pumped in the 100 hz region

if you use an EQ and lower the 80-200 hz region with 6 db, you should get deep sub bass. 

Because of the pump in 100hz bass the sub bass does not come as forward as it should

The mod does change with bass setting, but not by very much. You should experiment to come with the best results. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 5

Thank you, I'll have a play around with those adjustments. Do you put a pin hole through the tape over the bass tuning screw? Saw someone recommended that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back