IE6, should I update?
Mar 23, 2002 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

raymondlin

Architect &Musical Fidelity X-Man v2
At the moment I am using Internet Explorer 5.5, it works perfectly and only crashed twice in the last year. But IE6 is available for update, the question is that is it stable and bug free? I've read that some people have trouble with it a few months back, is it just an isolated case. Or should I just wait for IE 6.5?

Mar 23, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 41
Raymondlin...

When I had Windows ME I upgraded to IE6 and had nothing but problems, it seemed very glitchy... I returned back to IE5.5 within a couple of days...

XP comes with IE6 by default, and it works like a dream... so, maybe this is Microsofts way of pushing people towards XP? - unless of course, which is highly likely, my glitch was just applicable to my own PC?!

Mar 23, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 41
I've neglected my other computer and haven't updated anything in ages because it's runnin' really stable (Win2k, IE5, SP2), but when I put my new one together with XP, it came with IE6 and I have the autoupdate feature enabled. IE6 is working great. WinXP in general is running great, and I love the new cosmetic changes. I thought I'd hate it, but now that I've given it a chance I want another license for my other PC, but the school will only let us buy one. Oh well...

Mar 23, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
At the moment I am using Internet Explorer 5.5, it works perfectly and only crashed twice in the last year. But IE6 is available for update, the question is that is it stable and bug free? I've read that some people have trouble with it a few months back, is it just an isolated case. Or should I just wait for IE 6.5?

What OS are you running now?
If you are on 9x or NT4 then I would stick to 5.5
If you are running W2K then I would if it has something you really need, otherwise it is not worth the upgrade.
As for SP2 it won't install/download the whole 17 megs if you have any other updates already installed and you might install more than that with 6!

Mar 24, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 41
Eeeeeew, that IE6/Windows ME combo performs like CRAP! It leaves too much crap on my hard drive - and it sometimes crashes on me! (IE6 does kick arse only on Windows XP; otherwise, on Windows 98/NT4/200/Me, stick with IE5.5 SP2. Windows 95 does NOT support any version of IE higher than 5.0; beginning with version 5.5, you'll have to upgrade to Windows 98 or later just to use the latest version of IE. And Microsoft - or should I call that company "Microshaft"? - is no longer writing new patches/"bug fixes" for any version of IE earlier than 5.5 SP2.)

Aug 5, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 41
http://www.opera.com/download/index....atform=Windows

biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
Help! I've just upgraded to IE6.0 and I hate it big time! Can anyone tell me how to
go back to IE5.5 SP2 (I'm on Win2KPro). Thanks a lot!!

Roll back to a prior restore point.

Aug 5, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 41
Aug 5, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

yeah Opera rules. gotto pay for the ad-free version tho.

tried IE6 with ME... it's terrible. just stick with 5. besides, what does 6 do that 5 doesn't? then again, I haven't tried the newest version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back