IE Headphones at about 75$
Sep 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shonor6

Head-Fier
Hello. I'm looking for IE headphones for flights, and for class. Therefore no one except of me should hear the sound. I mainly listen to Rock, but also enjoy Classical music sometimes.
Just to give you a certain measurement of the type of sound that I like, I have the Audio Technica AD700 and really like these, except for the fact that they a bit lack of bass. I love detailed sound. I want it to be extremely detailed, as detailed as you can get within my budget. Bass is important to me as well.

I will listen to music from a Zune, and my music is 320kbps at least (50% of my music is loseless).

As mentioned in the title, my budget is about 75$. I don't know many audio companies, but I think the Ultimate Ears 500vi are a pretty good choice, am I correct?

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 18
Go with the ADDIEM's (Apple Dual Driver IEM), they right in you price range and they deliver the balance and detail of IEM's twice the price. They cost $79 from apple, but if you buy them online you can get them as cheap as $35 (be careful not to get a fake though!).

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 18
Why would you want noise isolation in class? lol

Anyway... UE 500 is good, but I hear the durability can be an issue, also isolation is medium-ish. If you want to stick with UE, I'd look for a good deal with UE600 or 700 instead. But if not, take a look at Etymotic Research stuff. Super clear and detailed, and I think their lower range dynamic driver offerings pack a bit of a punch as well. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 18
I don't need 100% isolation, though I don't want to sit in bus and hear everything around me. Additionally, I don't want my classmates to be disturbed by the music.

About the UE600 and 700 - I heard they seriously lack of bass (especially the 700).
What do you mean by saying that durability might be an issue? They're unreliable? Might stop working on a bright day?

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 18
cc51, except, make sure to get the second generation ones.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Go with the ADDIEM's (Apple Dual Driver IEM), they right in you price range and they deliver the balance and detail of IEM's twice the price. They cost $79 from apple, but if you buy them online you can get them as cheap as $35 (be careful not to get a fake though!).

Steve Jobs? Is that you?

ph34r.gif

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 18
ADDIEMs are the best value in the entire world of listening devices at $30-35 used on eBay. At their retail price they get trounced by plenty of others, but at less than half price they're unbeatable.

Quote:

Steve Jobs? Is that you?

ph34r.gif

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 18
Really? The entire world? You've compared all used deals, from online auction sites around the world, checked for earphones across all price ranges, and have come up with that conclusion? And they are the absolute best value for everyone, in the entire world, even for those who hates their sound signature?

Amazing IEMs. 
Quote:
ADDIEMs are the best value in the entire world of listening devices at $30-35 used on eBay. At their retail price they get trounced by plenty of others, but at less than half price they're unbeatable.

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 18
Yep!

Quote:
Really? The entire world? You've compared all used deals, from online auction sites around the world, checked for earphones across all price ranges, and have come up with that conclusion? And they are the absolute best value for everyone, in the entire world, even for those who hates their sound signature?

Amazing IEMs. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Steve Jobs wouldn't want you to buy his addiems for $35. He would tell you to go to an Apple retail store and pay for the full retail price for it. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jobs himself admits it in an interview: he doesn't care about money, he cares about "success," which, to him, means plastering the Ikea of electronics across every potential touch screen surface in existence :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back