iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 9, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,276 of 4,252
I placed my order today on art excellence and I've confirmed it is a "Octa Odopter" unit
smily_headphones1.gif
. Let's see how it compares with hifi M8 and Alo RXMKIII B

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,280 of 4,252
There is one item I wish the folks at ifi would include with all of their products... 
and that would be a demo disc that has all of the different formats that their products support....
that way we could show the products off to others and it would be a way for us all to be able to
hear the difference between all of the various formats...

just a wish...

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,281 of 4,252
  There is one item I wish the folks at ifi would include with all of their products... 
and that would be a demo disc that has all of the different formats that their products support....
that way we could show the products off to others and it would be a way for us all to be able to
hear the difference between all of the various formats...

just a wish...

There is tons of Free Hi-Rez Samples on the Internet... Just a thought... 
wink.gif

http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/free-hi-res-music/

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,282 of 4,252
Okay, so Avatar has charged my card, so that must mean I really am one of those lucky few (100 or so in the US?) who will have an iDSD micro before the month is out!!!!!!

Thinking it will look very nice sitting above the iUSB Power on my iRack!  Of course, connected via a Gemini cable.  There is the issue of the iPurifier.  I already have one, yet, the iDSD will have one built in.  Think I will leave the external in the chain, as long as it doesn't cause any issue.  Will certainly soothe over my Audiophilia Nervosa, lol.  

The question is what to do with the iDSD nano?  Not a chance I am getting rid of it.  It is too exceptional a product.  Will have to re-purpose it for mobile use, I think!!!

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #1,284 of 4,252
Jul 10, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #1,285 of 4,252
Power Matters

Over the last few days, we have been a little quiet. You guys have emailed and PM'd us about the micro iDSD but we have keep mum because we wanted to nail a last few items down before going public.

Besides getting the one unit to Japan for the Net Audio photoshoot, we have been fine tuning the power output of the micro iDSD. In turn, we had to modify the software to allow these higher power levels, as our power supplies are controlled by the microprocessor and the software.

The thought to just send out the micro iDSD as is, had crossed our mind, but given our OCD for implementing the very best technology, we just had to do that one last thing.

Well, below, you will see the revised power output figures as measured on the AP2. We have underlined the most important power changes.

HP Amp Output               Voltage                     Power (max)                                         Power (continuous.)

- Turbo mode                10.0V (8.0V)            4,000mW/16Ohm                              1,560mW(1,000mW)/64Ohm

- Normal mode                5.5V (4.0V)            1,900mW(1,000mW)/16Ohm                950mW(500mW)/32Ohm

- Economy mode             2.0V                      500mW(250mW)/8Ohm                     250mW/16Ohm

Salient Points
  • Turbo mode - the continuous power has been uprated from 1000mW to 1,560mW. This increased power means in actual listening, better dynamic grip and bass response is better for the most demanding of headphones*.
  • Normal mode - continuous power is also up from 500mW to 950mW. Same as Turbo but for medium-efficiency headphones.
  • Eco mode – minor adjustment for maximum power from 250mW to 500mW, the continuous power of 250mW remains unchanged.

We tested using the Hifi Man HE-6 and now, from heavy metal through to jazz tracks, these headphones are even more enjoyable than before and when required, these drivers move some serious air. 

Regardless, whichever headphone you use with the micro iDSD, it should retain an overall even better control/grip of that headphone, especially during dynamic swings and when the bass goes loooow.

Things have not changed much for IEMs (as these are most likely to be used in Eco mode).

In the next few days, we will also update you on the battery-side of things as behind-the-scenes, it is quite complex.

As a result of this, the worldwide launch date (when it should be in retailers) has been shifted from 15th July > 22nd July.

We know you are somewhat eager to get your hands on the micro iDSD - but we think you will find the additional 1-week wait was worth it.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 10, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #1,286 of 4,252
additional 1 week wait? geez, you started this thread on 21 March...and you'll have it in retailers' hands in just FOUR months time. that's pretty awesome. i don't think anyone here will quibble about an extra week...i'm just surprised it's production ready so quickly. well done.

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #1,287 of 4,252
  additional 1 week wait? geez, you started this thread on 21 March...and you'll have it in retailers' hands in just FOUR months time. that's pretty awesome. i don't think anyone here will quibble about an extra week...i'm just surprised it's production ready so quickly. well done.

Exactly! The most recent Digizoid took over a year D:

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #1,288 of 4,252
iFi,

a couple questions regarding "Power Matters" mW bumps-

1.  are the 10V, 5.5V, 2V numbers actually "Vrms" ?  I'm always confused by what vendors spec/report/how.
2.  I'm assuming the mW numbers are cumulative values (total output) for:  Left channel + Right channel?
(ie.  in your Normal mode 1900 mW , 16Ohm,  would deliver 950 mW to Left channel + 950mW for Right. = 1900) 

Lastly:
the Ohm's law math numbers "added up" in your earlier specs for the various Volts at 16ohm, 32, 64ohm, etc.
today at the new 5.5V (16 and 32 Ohms) and 2V values (8 and 16 Ohms), plugging into Ohm's law for values given the mW numbers do compute with what you reported above.

but for the 10V value:
at 64 Ohms, does compute (=1562 mW)
but at 16 Ohms, math says = 6250mW.  not the 4000 mW reported.

Can you explain my bad math or the specific power adjustments?
thank you.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,289 of 4,252
  iFi,

a couple questions regarding "Power Matters" mW bumps-

1.  are the 10V, 5.5V, 2V numbers actually "Vrms" ?  I'm always confused by what vendors spec/report/how.
2.  I'm assuming the mW numbers are cumulative values (total output) for:  Left channel + Right channel?
(ie.  in your Normal mode 1900 mW , 16Ohm,  would deliver 950 mW to Left channel + 950mW for Right. = 1900)

Lastly:
the Ohm's law math numbers "added up" in your earlier specs for the various Volts at 16ohm, 32, 64ohm, etc.
today at the new 5.5V (16 and 32 Ohms) and 2V values (8 and 16 Ohms), plugging into Ohm's law for values given the mW numbers do compute with what you reported above.

but for the 10V value:
at 64 Ohms, does compute (=1562 mW)
but at 16 Ohms, math says = 6250mW.  not the 4000 mW reported.

Can you explain my bad math or the specific power adjustments?
thank you.

Don't mean to speak for them, but probably the output device/stage (opamps?) have difficulty providing enough current at that low impedance.)

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,290 of 4,252
  Okay, so Avatar has charged my card, so that must mean I really am one of those lucky few (100 or so in the US?) who will have an iDSD micro before the month is out!!!!!!

Thinking it will look very nice sitting above the iUSB Power on my iRack!  Of course, connected via a Gemini cable.  There is the issue of the iPurifier.  I already have one, yet, the iDSD will have one built in.  Think I will leave the external in the chain, as long as it doesn't cause any issue.  Will certainly soothe over my Audiophilia Nervosa, lol.  

The question is what to do with the iDSD nano?  Not a chance I am getting rid of it.  It is too exceptional a product.  Will have to re-purpose it for mobile use, I think!!!

Another purpose for the nano is to occasionally put it back in the signal path and tell the rest of us what you find to be the differences between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back