Ideas for some copper interconnects?
May 22, 2005 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

At the Detroit meet the other day I had a chance to hear some DiMarzio IC's on my rig... in fact I still have them because of Headroom's generosity.

I won't have them for ever though and I need some recommendations.

Previously I was using the Headphile XRS cables, and while I respect the philosophy behind them and intellectually I thought that silver cables were the way to go for me they just don't have as much synergy with my system as I originally thought.

I may go with Headphile again for a copper set or perhaps a set of DiMarzio M-Paths, but I wanted some opinions on the best way to go.

Any opinions on connectors would be good as well... WBT locking or Eichmann bullets? I find the locking RCA's a little cumbersome, but I could get used to them I suppose. The idea behind the Eichmann's seems sound to me, but I'm not sure if they are all they are cracked up to be.

I am also strongly considering Siltech cables as I visited their site recently and was impressed with what I read.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

May 23, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 62
DIY Magnet Wire

Use some high quality RCAs and you have yourself a great set of ICs. I'm using magnet wire now (albeit in a twisted pair), and it's great. I may try the method in that article soon, when I have the time. I guess you're looking for manufactured interconnects, but I thought I'd throw this idea out anyway.

As far as manufactured interconnects go, I really like Audio Note. They make very nice cables and have models at all price levels.

May 23, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 62
I've been reading up and it appears the technology behind the Cardas line is quite impressive. Jude has a couple of reviews and interviews which I found quite enlightening. Gotta get me some Cardas IC's to try out somehow, someway. If I only had a "buddy" in the Cardas house who could snag me a 1m pair of NR or Golden Ref for a decent price!
tongue.gif

May 23, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 62
Chimera Labs: Advantage Series 2

These are the BEST interconnects I have ever listened bar none, and it happens that they are pure continous cast copper. Basically, they have just as much air, detail, separation and clarity as your best silver cable but their incredibly harmonically rich, with a smoothness and a fullness that is usually heard with well made copper cables. They are pricey, but 60 day money back is worth it, too bad i dont have the cash though to actually purchase my own pair.

Dennis is great to deal with, he lays out everything on how he makes the cables and the actual process in the construction as well as the materials; plus, he offers the option of selling you the materials and you can DIY for much cheaper.

Another option are VH Audio Pulsars. They use 28 awg copper as the conductor, with a silver plated copper for the return, they are basically nordost blue heavens with a more developed sense of tone and impeccable timing, they are cheaper and not as developed as the chimera labs but they beat the crap out of my nordost blue heavens and MIT's and spit in their face as well, while offering very similar performance to those of the chimera labs

May 23, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
DIY Magnet Wire

Use some high quality RCAs and you have yourself a great set of ICs. I'm using magnet wire now (albeit in a twisted pair), and it's great. I may try the method in that article soon, when I have the time. I guess you're looking for manufactured interconnects, but I thought I'd throw this idea out anyway.

As far as manufactured interconnects go, I really like Audio Note. They make very nice cables and have models at all price levels.

nice link, I should make some DIY psges for interconnects.

May 23, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Chimera Labs: Advantage Series 2

These are the BEST interconnects I have ever listened bar none, and it happens that they are pure continous cast copper. Basically, they have just as much air, detail, separation and clarity as your best silver cable but their incredibly harmonically rich, with a smoothness and a fullness that is usually heard with well made copper cables. They are pricey, but 60 day money back is worth it, too bad i dont have the cash though to actually purchase my own pair.

Dennis is great to deal with, he lays out everything on how he makes the cables and the actual process in the construction as well as the materials; plus, he offers the option of selling you the materials and you can DIY for much cheaper.

Another option are VH Audio Pulsars. They use 28 awg copper as the conductor, with a silver plated copper for the return, they are basically nordost blue heavens with a more developed sense of tone and impeccable timing, they are cheaper and not as developed as the chimera labs but they beat the crap out of my nordost blue heavens and MIT's and spit in their face as well, while offering very similar performance to those of the chimera labs

I was about to recommend both the Chimera and VH Pulsars. I really admire the fact that both of these guys will tell you exactly how to make their IC's and even sell you DIY kits.

If you find even Chimera's kit price unaffordable, Michael Percy has the parts you need, especially the Vampire continuous cast magnet wire at VERY cheap prices.

I actually have a set of the Vampire OFC plugs coming in the mail, and I already have spools of the Vampire magnet wire sitting around. Maybe I'll make another pair just for fun even though I don't need it. I have some Jena Labs cryo'd copper wire coming in as well, which was my next project..

It's pretty tough to make really bad sounding copper IC, unless you use the low purity non OFC stranded copper in rubber/vinyl dielectric and nickel-plated cheap RCA plugs..

May 23, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 62
Those VH Audio Pulsars look very cool and affordable. Do you think a pair of the cryoed VH Audio Pulsars with Eichmann Gold Bullet plugs would outperform the DiMarzio M-Paths?

May 23, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 62
I was wondering why there are not many people here recommend Nitrogen cables from Eric (audiogeek)?
I'm curious about how they actually perform, but looks like they are not so many users here... (I don't even know whether Nitrogen is silver or copper based or totally different thing altogether)
I'm also thinking to get a new set of interconnects, but still deciding which way to go...

May 23, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
I was wondering why there are not many people here recommend Nitrogen cables from Eric (audiogeek)?
I'm curious about how they actually perform, but looks like they are not so many users here... (I don't even know whether Nitrogen is silver or copper based or totally different thing altogether)
I'm also thinking to get a new set of interconnects, but still deciding which way to go...

http://www.audiogeek.net/nitrogen/design.html

Looks like they are having some good deals on the "sales" page currently.

Based on their description, I would guess they are using a coax cable for the Nitrogen. Since I'm not aware of any coax cables that has pure silver center conductor, it's using copper center conductor and using braid shield as "return" wire, much like Chris VH Pulsars. Since 100% shield coverage is claimed, there is probably one or two other layers of shield, possibly with foil.

The descripion also fits a foamed teflon or polyethylene dielectric. This is different from the solid teflon dielectric of VH Audio. Chris VH is a strong believer of solid dielectric as superior to foamed, but this means VH Pulsars take FOREVER to break in (worht it), and even after break-in, if unused or moved around, requires further break-in/settle-down (it's true).

Can't say how the Nitrogen would sound vs. VH, but the RCA plugs appears to be nice Cardas types and overall design seems rational. Their sale price seems very reasonable for the product also.

May 23, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 62
I use Signal Cable's Analog Two copper interconnects and they are really nice. Also, they are quite affordable at $49 for a 2' pair. Eichman bullet plugs add $25 and each additional foot is $5. I just ordered a 4' pair with the bullet plugs, although my orginals sound really good.

May 23, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 62
This is hard... the VH Audio Pulsars, the Nitrogens and the DiMarzio M-Paths all look great. Has anyone compared any or all of these cables?

May 24, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 62
might I also throwout there the new not so silver anymore Bogdan Silver Princess's (gold alloy for signal and silver for ground). The original ones were held to some regard and I would expect these to be the same. However, like all of your other listed options not many have tried them out yet as they are pretty new. In my experiences I have found gold to be equal to or almost more laid back then copper, but paired up with the silver return it should at a bit more edge to it.

Bogdan Silver Princess

time to be the test monkey!

May 24, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #15 of 62
Oh good... another option.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back