Ideas for some copper interconnects?
May 29, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I listen around there on quiet recordings [massive attack], but most of the time I am around 12 oclock.

I really want to try these Nitrogens out... I think I will get used to my new cables first though and possibly wait for the free cables to come in from China. Once that is done I might pick up a pair [and maybe a pair of the Pulsars] and do a big cable shootout.
biggrin.gif

Well, by the time you're done getting used to your new toys and have the free cables (free cables? do PM me about this!) in your hand, you might have to find a pair of used Nitrogens. As of June 18, I'm going to be gone for the summer -- and once I'm at MIT, I'm not sure if I'll have time to restart production. That's one of the reasons I'm keeping a next-day-shipping policy until I leave; if you want a pair, you know you'll have some in your hands by the end of the week (they will probably arrive the third or fourth day after you order).

The side-benefit of this is that if you order some, the "30-day" return policy will become more akin to a 10-week return policy -- definitely the most generous in the industry!

May 30, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #32 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
I manufacture the Nitrogen cables.

Regarding their performance, fellow Head-Fi member elnero described it in his review.

Yes, indeed.

The Nitrogens use a nitrogen-injected foam polyethylene dielectric. Compared to a solid dielectric, this makes for less capacitance and brings the cables much closer to the ideal of having nothing but vacuum between the conductors. (less "stuff" in the cable is less "stuff" to get in the way of the signal)

They have a Vp (velocity of propagation) of approximately 85% of the speed of light, just under the Nordost Valhalla -- and the use of precision manufactured low-loss cable allows for the use of the ProSink termination. If you're going to talk about the performance of the Nitrogens, it's the ProSink that's the key point -- the ProSink termination renders the cable's influence on signal quality almost negligible.

Have you compared foamed polyethylene to foamed teflon? Any comments on the results?

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
I've got some ChrisVH Pulsars on the way and will let you know my impressions after they've burned in.

Cool... I am loving the DiMarzio M-Path IC's. I am letting myself get used to them a bit and will try to do a comparison with the Headphile XRS in the near future.
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Have you compared foamed polyethylene to foamed teflon? Any comments on the results?

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a foamed teflon cable-type that meets my specifications while remaining flexible enough for use. Furthermore, given that sales do cease in a little over a week, there simply isn't time to introduce a new product.

Jun 9, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
I've got some ChrisVH Pulsars on the way and will let you know my impressions after they've burned in.

I already have the Pulsars and am expecting some nitrogens to come my way as well. I will definitely do a comparo and see what each has to offer.

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #37 of 62
Hey recstar24, can you give me a bit more of a detailed comparison between the Pulsars and the Chimera Labs Advantage? Where do you use them? Did you say you've compared these to some commercial cables?

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #38 of 62
Here is an excerpt of a post i did on audioasylum, comparing the pulsars with nordost blue heavens:

"Yup, i picked up a local pair from audiogon and these badboys totally killed my blue heavens and MIT 2's. I thought my blue heavens were very fast and detailed with great separation and stage, if at times a little bass light and seemed to be tonally cold. The pulsars are just as detailed and have as much separation and clarity, but its a smoother sound which mates well with my meridian. However, the pulsars are even faster than the blue heavens, and make them sound time-smeared in comparison!
For example, i was listening to Kurt Elling's "Minuano" from Man in the Air, and the drummer is playing some incredibly fast single-rolls on the ride. On the blue heavens, they have a nice attack and all, but when i plugged in the pulsars, i could hear each and every single roll, each 32nd and 64th note clearly ariculated, Chris must be a drummer to be able to let that much subtle information able to shine through, the blue heavens they sounded like 16th and sometimes even 8th notes, those single-rolls on the ride were that time-smeared and sluggish sounding on the blue heavens in comparison!!!

But in addition to the speed, the pulsars are more harmonically rich and have a fuller presence, while retaining lightning speed and clarity and resolution."

I heard the chimera's in another setup and didnt have the chance to compare with my pulsars; however, those things were incredibly detailed and had amazing speed and separation, but they had a nice fullness to the sound, the bass was really rich, tight, and had a nice texture to it as well, simply amazing. These cables are pure copper too, and they were more detailed and faster than any silver cable i had heard, but you still had that nice harmonic richness that copper cables seem to bring to the table.

I should be expecting my audiogeek nitrogens today and will be able to do a comparo with the pulsars as well.

Jun 13, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
I should be expecting my audiogeek nitrogens today and will be able to do a comparo with the pulsars as well.

Sweet... that should give me a good idea of which to buy. I would like to compair the 'winner' to my DiMarzio M-Path's, Headphile XRS and the two sets of unknown chinese IC's that are being sent to me.
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #40 of 62
It's only been a few hours, but I'm really, really liking the Pulsars - comparing to Stereovox HDSE (which are extremely neutral) - the Pulsars have better separation and timing, a lower noise floor (sounds seem to come out of nowhere), smooth mids, very nice drums.

The HDSE sound a bit boring in comparison, and certainly lose out at both frequency extremes.

And the Pulsars are meant to get even better after 200 hours(!).

If the Chimeras are meant to best the Pulsars, well, I'll have to save me up some cash.
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24

Great, my Nitrogens are coming too, it's good to hear opinions on them from different system.

Jun 14, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
It's only been a few hours, but I'm really, really liking the Pulsars - comparing to Stereovox HDSE (which are extremely neutral) - the Pulsars have better separation and timing, a lower noise floor (sounds seem to come out of nowhere), smooth mids, very nice drums.

The HDSE sound a bit boring in comparison, and certainly lose out at both frequency extremes.

And the Pulsars are meant to get even better after 200 hours(!).

If the Chimeras are meant to best the Pulsars, well, I'll have to save me up some cash.
tongue.gif

wow, thats good to hear, the pulsars sound great out of the box as do all of chris venhaus products, the solid FEP requires mucho burn in time, but its weird that it sounds so good out of the box.

Im impressed that the pulsars in your experience bested the stereovox - srajan at 6moons just reviewed them very favorably, saying they were on par with some other IC's he reviewed that were priced much more expensive, like 700 i think. Chris is an accomplished drummer, PRAT, groove, they are in spades on his pulsars, hearing incredibly fast bass or cymbals is an experience to say the least.

I almost bit on some chimera's a while back, they never are on audiogon, but a pair came up for 210 which is a great price considering those cables - i thought about it long and hard (ok not really, just a day), and realized i was happy with the pulsars. Well i went back to audiogon to see if they were still available, and alas they were already sold.

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #43 of 62
my grover URs arrived.

already pre-burn in, all i can say is that these are fantastic sounding cables.
eek.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #44 of 62
in regards to the grovers, those are silver, correct? i believe biggie stated they were, just wanted to clarify whether they were silver or copper, i believe the original poster was inquiring spefically about copper IC's

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
I have been able to find one alternative to soldering or crimping that results in a major increase in signal quality, but it's extremely time-consuming and expensive)

Would you mind elborating on this a little more? What technique are you using? You have peaked my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back