Ideal set-up for classical under $450? (Beyerdynamic dt880 vs HiFiMan HE-400
Oct 22, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #16 of 20
  Ended up going with the Matrix M-Stage as I found it for a pretty good price and it should have pretty decent synergy with the dt880's. May pick up a darkvoice or bottlehead in the future. Any ideas for dac? The Matrix comes with one, but I've heard less than great things about the dac. Should my fiio e17 be sufficient or should I sell it for an ODAC or Modi or something.

That was a pretty fantastic find.. Only ended up going with the Matrix because I felt it was a safer bet, but I was tempted.

Try the DAC in the M-stage first and compare it with your Fiio E17 before you buy something else. Best not to be swayed by other people's opinions on equipment, its your own ears that matter. If your not happy with how it sounds check out other options!

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #18 of 20
i would suggest beyer dynamic.i have tried 990 pro once, it was amazing on instrument on this price line, transpanrency and details are better than my hd600. By the way,im using he500 now, too warm and too loose on classic,definately cut off some high frequncy original sound detail.Currently,im using burson sl amp which seems to be the best match to beyer, but i already had too many headphones to go with beyer.(shure 1440, q701,hd600,he500) Matrix is a trustwhorthy brand in china, within low price and mid price range, suitable for senheiser, because their amp mostly are designed base on lehmann solo amp.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #19 of 20
i would suggest beyer dynamic.i have tried 990 pro once, it was amazing on instrument on this price line, transpanrency and details are better than my hd600. By the way,im using he500 now, too warm and too loose on classic,definately cut off some high frequncy original sound detail.Currently,im using burson sl amp which seems to be the best match to beyer, but i already had too many headphones to go with beyer.(shure 1440, q701,hd600,he500) Matrix is a trustwhorthy brand in china, within low price and mid price range, suitable for senheiser, because their amp mostly are designed base on lehmann solo amp.

Have you tried the new focus pads from Hifiman? Found it levelled out some of the dip and peaks so the headphone sounds more balanced. The focus pads also does exactly what the name say, the imaging is more precise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back