Ideal Position for HFI-780
Jul 29, 2008 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

raffy

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of HFI-780s and I was wondering, what is the ideal placement of these cans on my ear to take advantage of S-Logic? Do I place it with the top of the cushions touching the top of my ear or the bottom of the cushions touching the bottom of my ears? Do I places it wear the rear cushions touch the rear part of my ear or do I place it more forward, where the front of my ear touches the front of the cushions?

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 12
The S-Logic technology is unlike all other headphones due to the placement of the drivers. This being said, every pair of ears on every head is different, so the optimal placement of the ear cups depends on the form of the wearers ears and, of course, the form of the head.

To give a general reccomendation, the S-Logic can be more beneficial if the ear cup is placed towards the front of the ear.

Hope this helped.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Check out the link in my sig (Users guide etc..). It might contain some helpful information to you.

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that link, contra

You are welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Ow and you can call me Indra if you think Contrastique is too long of a name to type out
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 12
I havent able to hear anything at the Front thou, which track on the Ultrasone Demo CD better demonstrate the Front Sound effect?

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havent able to hear anything at the Front thou, which track on the Ultrasone Demo CD better demonstrate the Front Sound effect?

First, all of the recordings on the Ultrasone Demo CD are binaural. Consequently, you will most likely hear a "3D" effect no matter which headphones you listen with. Here is the answer to your question, having gone through the tracks on the CD rather quickly (there could be more):

Track #.....Title....................................... ....What?
4.............Ave Verum Corpus..........................Some Voices in front
5.............Rondo Allegro.................................Piano in front and to sides
9.............Adante Cargheto............................Violas in front and to sides
13...........Vogel La Palma...............................Some birds chirping in front
18...........Grille............................... ..............Cricket in front
19...........Herscher Des Kimmels.......................Voices & some horns in front
20...........Brandung............................. .......... Part of wave & wind in front

If you want to hear a surround, "3D" effect (periphonic) effect where a sound position is in front, from a "regular" stereo (not binaural) recording, listen to a recording by a vocalist with an orchestra or band. Frank Sinatra's recordings from the late 1950's and 1960's are a very good example of this. Usually, in his stereo recordings (keep in mind that his older recordings were recorded before the advent of stereo), his voice was positioned in the center. Usually, but not always, his voice, when listening with the Pro 750's, will sound as though it is sometimes right in front of my face and in other recordings a little more distant from the front of my face. The various instruments of the band or orchestra will usually be heard on all sides of my head (including horns and strings behind my head, lower frequencies of bass below my head, with reverberation from the instruments and his voice above my head). When listening to these same recordings with headphones that are not Ultrasones, his voice will sound as though it is inside the center of my head and the various instruments of the band will sound as though they are playing inside my head to the right and to the left only.
This is the way I hear these recordings. It is possible that you may not hear them the same way.
Edit: I listened to one of my Sinatra CD's called "SINATRA'S SWINGIN' SESSION AND MORE" just to check, and as only one example, the tracks on this particular CD are as I previously described. Also, it is a generally fun recording to hear.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just put them on,and listen.

I dont even listen to that CD extensively. they are just demos which are selected for demostrating S-Logic. i can sort of vaguely hear it thou on those tracks, but this is on my $30 Logitech Headset :p which surprisingly have a ok soundstage (probably limited by detail), but the Pro 750s have an even wider one (hehe kinda gets annoying to listen to all those car beeping during CSI NY which i dont get on my logitech headset will not that detailed and better positioned totally awesome).

UPDATE: ive listened to those tracks using the Pro 750s, but all i can hear was on forehead rather than directly infront of me for some reason. I did position them correctly, the headband at the top of my head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back