I'd like a recommendation for a new pair of 'phones!
Nov 17, 2008 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Wolfskie

Head-Fier
For a little over a year I've had the Equation RP-21 and as much as I like their sound, i don't much like their comfort (as much a help as the beyer pads were, they're also falling apart and stitching had to be done in order for them to stay in place).
So, I'm feeling this a good time to upgrade!
What I don't know, is what i should get instead.
I did like the rp-21 sound, though sometimes the bass was either bloated or not punchy enough (actually depends on what I'm listening or the recording itself, in metal sometimes not punchy/impactful enough while in electronica it could be great), the highs could be a tad sibilant from time to time and the mids were a bit too recessed to my liking.
I'm listening mostly to classical music (from Bach to Chopin, to Rachmaninoff and various other composers), rock (queen, led zeppelin, pink floyd, scorpions, alan parsons project, etc. ), metal (ensiferum, falconer, dark tranquility, kalmah, etc.) and a bit of jazz from time to time.
I'll also be listening to a bit of electronica (infected mushroom), though less frequently.

As for the headphones, it doesn't matter whether it's an open or closed design.
I will not be amping these 'phones (although I'm planning on trying a cmoy build) and will run them through my revolution sound card.
Comfort is a very important factor as I'll be listening for extended periods of time.

My budget is around $160 including delivery, I'm not afraid of buying used (I might be able to stretch it a bit).

(also, if there are any grammar mistakes, please do correct me as I'm not a native English speaker.)

Thanks in advance for the recommendations and whatnot!

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 12
Bump.

Please do help me with this, I've read a lot in the forums but i still don't know what to do or what to choose.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 12
METAlliance Certifies Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones

These may be in order!!!!!

I was gonna buy the M audio but after seeing they failed and went dead for a number of people I decided to not take the chance.
I decided on the ATH-M50 instead. I am gonna order it today or tomorrow just wanna do a bit more research first.

largeviewqm7.jpg

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 12
Ok, they might be in order.. but how do they compare to the RP-21's?
Do they do everything I'd like them to?
What's their price anyway?

I'm not just looking for a quick buy, I want this to be what I'm looking for, for the next few years.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 12
Well the M audio Q40 is vastly better than the RP-21 and this ATH-M50 Audio technica is actually better than the M audio 40.

So go figure you know.

They are $129 on Amazon free shipping. Thats where I am buying mine from anyways.

This is what I read online BTW on this forum and some research.

I really wanted the Q40 but I heard it died on some people one speaker went dead cord snapped etc.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 12
i havent heard the equation rp21 b4 so i cant really offer a good alternative.

but just to throw out some common suggestions at your price range:
Audio Technica ATH-A900 (used)
or the ATH-AD700

Denon D2000 (used)

someone else help lol

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Are the ATH-M50 another set of bass monsters, or are they transparent? Just wondering.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 12
At a meet I listened to the RP21s and compared them to the Grado SR60s and AT ES7s I brought. Comfort aside (I found the 21s to be least comfortable) I preferred both of mine to the 21s. I'm tempted to recommend Grados since you can start with the 60s cheaply and move up in several directions. Your music choices, however, make me lean toward the ATs of the phones I have owned. The AT A series (700 and 900) are popular here and are very comfortable. The AD series would be excellent for Jazz and classical but less so for the other genres and uses the same comfortable design.

At your budget point you could buy both the Grado SR60s and a used pair of ES7s. If you dislike one or even both you could easily sell here.

Mooch

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 12
I kinda hate ugly headphones.

I am attracted to the the m50 or Q 40

From what I have heard the M50 is bass monsters.

One guy even said the Q 40 m audio was better than his Beyers Dt770 and AKG K701 i believe.

He said the bass was superior. And seeing others say the bass of the M50 is better than the Q40 then I can only imagine.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 12
About the grados.. well, I've listened to the SR80 and SR225 in a meet and didn't really like either, so that's a no-go.
As for the ES7, I assume it's be a great portable can but I do want a circumaural headphone rather than supraaural.
From what i get here so far, the candidates are either AT M50 (which i found in ebay for a frice that fits my budget) or the AD700 which i found in audiocubes 2 and also fits my budget, as for the A900, I've also listened to them in a meet and although i feel I'm probably not doing them justice (since i also listed to other great cans in the span of a few hours, including a K1000) I didn't like them that much, in addition I've read their pads aren't really durable and I'd hate to replace the earpads due to wear and tear every so often.

I've read that review in which the Q40 bass was said to be superior.. but it was only the bass, the rest of the spectrum is inferior.
Also, M50's are bass monsters? uh, as much as I do like my bass I don't want it to be too dominant or blot out other frequencies.
(for example, cans that i really liked were DT880 and K701 which aren't exactly known for their bass. or at least not for a "bass monster" aspect.)
Now, another question, since the A700 can be found here in Israel for a ..relatively reasonable price, how do they compare to the RP-21's?

Where can the Denon D2000 be found for such a price?

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 12
Bump.

If there's nothing else to add, I do believe i shall be getting the AD700.
However, please do try to address some of my questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back