Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Mar 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #91 of 1,426
Quote:
Yeah, it certainly seems to have the power and the characteristics to be a good match with the T1. The only thing that's keeping me back is that it's a bit of an unknown quantity and nobody seems to have heard it.

I wouldn't be too discouraged by that. Icon have been around for a while and their full sized amps seem to be well regarded (although admittedly this guarantees nothing, anyone can produce a dud).

I suspect they may just be one of those brands that gets somewhat overlooked here on Head-fi (e.g. Naim, Densen, EAR-Yoshino, etc.), which is not that unusual for UK/EU manufactured kit... maybe due to a big price hike for transport and import duty? This holds for North American kit being imported into the UK, it's pretty typical to just change the $ symbol to a £ and leave the numbers unchanged.

If you are in the UK and anywhere near Sussex, I think I remember reading that Hi-Fi headphones might have one on demonstration. Or try Icon directly if you are in the Midlands.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #93 of 1,426
Quote:
Yeah, it certainly seems to have the power and the characteristics to be a good match with the T1. The only thing that's keeping me back is that it's a bit of an unknown quantity and nobody seems to have heard it.

Yep, that's a downside of sorts. Some people do care about prestige and such - even if you don't, that sort of thing plays a role in determining resale value on the used market. Not that you necessarily intend to sell your new amp anytime soon but things happen. The trade-off for that is superior sound (imo). 

The Woo stuff is certainly nice though. It's not like you have a good option and a terrible one - more like good and better. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #94 of 1,426
Just to let potential UK purchasers know that if they buy direct from Icon Audio, they make each HP8 to order and lead time from ordering to delivery is two weeks.

Adrian Feary (Icon Audio) phoned today to confirm that there'll be someone at my delivery address this Thursday to accept delivery of the HP8. 

Great customer service and I'm proud to buy British.

Cheers,

Andy.

P.S. HP8 impressions to follow in a week or so.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #96 of 1,426
Quote:
Just to let potential UK purchasers know that if they buy direct from Icon Audio, they make each HP8 to order and lead time from ordering to delivery is two weeks.

Adrian Feary (Icon Audio) phoned today to confirm that there'll be someone at my delivery address this Thursday to accept delivery of the HP8. 

Great customer service and I'm proud to buy British.

Cheers,

Andy.

P.S. HP8 impressions to follow in a week or so.

Nice to hear that you're joining the Icon club Andy - I think you're going to be pleased with your purchase. Mine continues to amaze me with its performance.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #97 of 1,426
Oh no, I'm not at all interested in prestige brands and like Andy I'll also be proud to buy British, should I opt for the Icon. What I value is superior sound and good value. I was a little deterred as the only decent review I could find was John's and you know how reviewers' opinions often differ. I'm in the North East so getting a demo wouldn't be easy for me.

I'd be very interested in hearing your views, Andy. I placed a bid on the Cary amp you were selling on eBay and I know you were also selling a WA6 not so long ago. Be sure to let us know how the Icon stacks up against them.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #98 of 1,426
While those amps are said to be designed in England I am pretty sure they are made in China .
Please correct me if I am wrong. 
confused.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #100 of 1,426
Quote:
While those amps are said to be designed in England I am pretty sure they are made in China .
Please correct me if I am wrong. 
confused.gif

I think that's correct. Or at least some of the work is done in China. When I spoke with designer David Shaw he was in China for a long period of time. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #101 of 1,426
Quote:
I actually checked up on this and though there is a ming da amp which resembles the mp3 amp, I could not find one that resembles the HP8. So I still believe the designed in UK tag

The original HP8 (Mk I) looked like the ming das, and I think was wholly made over there. The Mk II however is a new design and I think is made partially there, partially in the UK.

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #102 of 1,426
Ah yes, I divested myself of two fine headphone amps (Cary HH-1 and WA6) in my haste to adopt computer audio, regret my impulsiveness at selling both and have purchased the HP-8 to appease my regretful musical soul!  
wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Andy. 

Quote:
Oh no, I'm not at all interested in prestige brands and like Andy I'll also be proud to buy British, should I opt for the Icon. What I value is superior sound and good value. I was a little deterred as the only decent review I could find was John's and you know how reviewers' opinions often differ. I'm in the North East so getting a demo wouldn't be easy for me.

I'd be very interested in hearing your views, Andy. I placed a bid on the Cary amp you were selling on eBay and I know you were also selling a WA6 not so long ago. Be sure to let us know how the Icon stacks up against them.

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #103 of 1,426
Quote:
Ah yes, I divested myself of two fine headphone amps (Cary HH-1 and WA6) in my haste to adopt computer audio, regret my impulsiveness at selling both and have purchased the HP-8 to appease my regretful musical soul!  
wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Andy. 

Well you'll be very pleased with your purchase then! The HP8 is a really nice amp, and very versatile with the output impedance switch.

What will you be pairing it with? 

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #104 of 1,426
Andy sells some really nice gear at great prices. I'd have snapped up that CD player a few months ago but I'm also transitioning into computer audio and am in the process of flogging all my CDs as well as my Graham Slee Solo, Music Streamer ii and Grado PS500's. I'll be using the proceeds to fund a Benchmark DAC and a nice tube amp for my T1's - probably the HP8. As far as tube amps go, there's only the Earmax and Icon readily available in the UK. For some reason, the Earmax doesn't appeal.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #105 of 1,426
I'm planning to use my HD650 with a Piccolino cable that young Frank (Mr. Toxic) has constructed for them, plus an LCD2 with another of Franks superb cables. Plus possibly an Edition 8 if my friend is amenable to an extended loan.

Cheers,

Andy.

Quote:

Well you'll be very pleased with your purchase then! The HP8 is a really nice amp, and very versatile with the output impedance switch.

What will you be pairing it with? 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back