Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
May 10, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #587 of 1,459
So the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the tubes at all, as the sound made a comeback with the replacements. It appears that it's dirty power created by an led light on the same circuit. We shall see.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #588 of 1,459
So the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the tubes at all, as the sound made a comeback with the replacements. It appears that it's dirty power created by an led light on the same circuit. We shall see.
My HP8mk2 always picking up noise from a pair of TP-Link AV1000 Powerline ethernet adapters............

May 10, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #589 of 1,459
Well there is random static, and almost digital ticks that are random on one channel (the digital pops are new), so I'm thinking all this is might be caused by some sort of interference/noise in the house power. Now as I write this the noises are gone, so I don't think it's the amp or tubes.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #591 of 1,459
I have experienced this too with the Icon and judging by how much more it happens during the day as opposed to very late at night, I d say too that it is related to power quality. However the noise of a defective tube is not that dissimilar so it can be confusing to figure out what’s what. The Luxman I use at the moment is equally sensitive but shows different symptoms.
Could this be a tube thing? I lack the technical knowledge to support this thought but perhaps tubes pick RF and other noise like antennae and at certain frequencies they translate it into audible noise ?
It would be interesting to hear from someone who understands and can explain the technicalities of the science behind this.

May 10, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #592 of 1,459
Well there is random static, and almost digital ticks that are random on one channel (the digital pops are new), so I'm thinking all this is might be caused by some sort of interference/noise in the house power. Now as I write this the noises are gone, so I don't think it's the amp or tubes.
Hiss at low level, the only way to get rid of it is unplugged TP link...

May 10, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #593 of 1,459
I have experienced this too with the Icon and judging by how much more it happens during the day as opposed to very late at night, I d say too that it is related to power quality. However the noise of a defective tube is not that dissimilar so it can be confusing to figure out what’s what. The Luxman I use at the moment is equally sensitive but shows different symptoms.
Could this be a tube thing? I lack the technical knowledge to support this thought but perhaps tubes pick RF and other noise like antennae and at certain frequencies they translate it into audible noise ?
It would be interesting to hear from someone who understands and can explain the technicalities of the science behind this.
Thanks fellas. When thinks go wrong with my equipment it has the tendency to make me a little nutty.

May 10, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #594 of 1,459
I had issues a few years ago with noise from WiFi boosters/ethernet extenders that I was using for streaming. I got rid of the noise by using a long ethernet cable and moving the booster away from my tube preamp/headphone amp. I think physically distancing (as opposed to social distancing) helps to eliminate the noise. If the extender is a wall mounted device, plug it into an outlet further away from your amp and use a longer ethernet cable.

May 14, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #595 of 1,459
Hi guys, I just bought some zebra wood audeze lcs 4s which I am very excited about! They are 200ohm. On the high gain setting the icon is advertised to drive cans up to 600ohms, so I'm thinking the amp will power them okay? Thoughts?

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #596 of 1,459
Hi guys, I just bought some zebra wood audeze lcs 4s which I am very excited about! They are 200ohm. On the high gain setting the icon is advertised to drive cans up to 600ohms, so I'm thinking the amp will power them okay?

No problem at all! They drive my Sennheiser HD650's with ease.

Enjoy!

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #599 of 1,459
Hi RobertSM,
thank you for rating. :)
I have already modified it twice.
1. Upper plate - anodized aluminum. Original plate - anodized aluminum too, not copper.
2. Jupiter HT caps - they are superior. I tested different and I like Jupiter more than others.
3. I have many different NOS 12AX7 and 6SN7 tubes and new Psvane Treasure 12AX7 LS Special Edition + Psvane CV181-TII ‘grey bottle’.
SIEMENS ECC83 + Philips ECG JAN 6SN7WGTA on the photo.
Nice Mod! How do you think Psvane Treasure 12AX7 LS Special Edition compares to the best of your NOS 12AX7 tubes? I have it my self and wondering if it's worth pursuing the NOS tubes.

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #600 of 1,459
Has anyone had a comparison with the Icon HP 205D headphone amp? The 205D is a big step up in cost at three times the price, and also has a separate power supply, so looks a serious bit of kit. I am looking at valve amplifcation after using a Chord Hugo 2 for the last yearr or two. The Hugo 2 is very transparant, but maybe a little too clinical and lacks a bit of soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back