Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Nov 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #16 of 1,467
Quote:
Is the review any closer project86?

Getting there. Slowly though. I've got 2 things ahead of it, and then assuming I can get all my annoyingly-detailed questions answered in time from Icon Audio, I'll have the review up after that. If I could get more time to write I'd be done by now, but family and "real" work come first.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #18 of 1,467
Having said that, the HP8 mkII is really sounding great with several different headphones I'm using. Currently borrowing the Audio Technica AD2000 from a friend and it is a great pairing, as is the W1000x. Thunderpants TP1 is good but not perfect, but Lawton LA7000 is really nice. I also love the HD650 on this thing - it reminds me that the HD650 was a flagship headphone for many years and is still a really good performer. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #19 of 1,467
I've gone ahead and bought the SE version of the HP8 mk2. Still burning in (currently around 70hrs) but I'm quite impressed so far. I'll post some impressions soon, I'm just waiting for a new cable so that I can hook it up to my DAC alongside my v200 and switch easily between the two. So far my ears are telling me that it will give the v200 a run for its money.

The SE version uses Treasure CV181’s in place of the standard Shuguang 6SN7s’ - these are a direct replacement - and a gold pin JJ 12AX7/ECC83 in the front end. I also have a NOS ecc83 tesla on the way which will be interesting too.

Like project86 I think it shines with the HD650s but I've been using it mainly with my LCD-2r2s.

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #20 of 1,467
Quote:
I've gone ahead and bought the SE version of the HP8 mk2. Still burning in (currently around 70hrs) but I'm quite impressed so far. I'll post some impressions soon, I'm just waiting for a new cable so that I can hook it up to my DAC alongside my v200 and switch easily between the two. So far my ears are telling me that it will give the v200 a run for its money.

The SE version uses Treasure CV181’s in place of the standard Shuguang 6SN7s’ - these are a direct replacement - and a gold pin JJ 12AX7/ECC83 in the front end. I also have a NOS ecc83 tesla on the way which will be interesting too.

Like project86 I think it shines with the HD650s but I've been using it mainly with my LCD-2r2s.

Ahh it was you who bid for it in the dying seconds?  Strange how he dropped the price then upped it several times.

Please let us know your impressions after some good burn in.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #21 of 1,467
Quote:
Ahh it was you who bid for it in the dying seconds?  Strange how he dropped the price then upped it several times.

Please let us know your impressions after some good burn in.

Not me, I bought mine direct from Icon Audio - best option for me as I'm in the UK. I'll certainly post my impressions though - more people need to get to know what this very nice amp can offer.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #22 of 1,467
Quote:
Not me, I bought mine direct from Icon Audio - best option for me as I'm in the UK. I'll certainly post my impressions though - more people need to get to know what this very nice amp can offer.

Ok right. One just sold on fleabay for £450 with Shugang Treasure bottles and Jenson paper in oil caps, was very tempted.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #25 of 1,467
Yep, but I'm sort of waiting for my full review at InnerFidelity to describe it in depth. The designer is doing some travelling, so I'm waiting for his return to finish our discussion about design choices.

In a nutshell - it's a really good amp. Has an excellent "tube sound" without being overly dark or slow. It's rich and warm and tends to bring out the best in average recordings as well as most headphones.

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #27 of 1,467
Hi, I know you're still writing the review, but those who have this amp I'm considering getting it to use with my ah-w1000x and possible future HD800 or LCD-2r2. Would it be a good match for the latter headphones?

In terms of value - good/worth it/bad?

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #28 of 1,467
double post - delete this one please.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #29 of 1,467
Interestingly, I'm looking for a dedicated headphone amp for my own W1000X.  This Icon sounds really tempting and I'll be looking forward to the review.  Hoping to learn about the connectivity options, though - seems like a single RCA input with a single TRS headphone jack, right?  Which I could work with, if the sound is truly stellar, but of course the rest of my system might need a little reworking to make everything work for me...

MusicDirect is selling it for $1K...

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #30 of 1,467
Quote:
Interestingly, I'm looking for a dedicated headphone amp for my own W1000X.  This Icon sounds really tempting and I'll be looking forward to the review.  Hoping to learn about the connectivity options, though - seems like a single RCA input with a single TRS headphone jack, right?  Which I could work with, if the sound is truly stellar, but of course the rest of my system might need a little reworking to make everything work for me...

MusicDirect is selling it for $1K...

Yep, it's very simplistic in terms of input and output. I guess "purposeful" would be the correct term. This could be troublesome depending on the rest of your gear, and is therefore one of my few minor gripes about the unit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back