IC: NYC Area Meet
Sep 16, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #16 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by drubrew
Is there a date yet? Might be time to visit mom in Manhattan.....
Drew Baird
Moon Audio

Nov 20 is the tentative date. If you can stay a few days you can have turkey with her.

Looks like we already have enough folks for a meet.

Next step: find a venue.

Watch this space.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #17 of 91
If we do get hotel pennsylvania, maybe they'll do a group rate on rooms there too for out of towners - all nighter listen in someone's hotel room after the conference room is shut down!

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #18 of 91
...and me!
k1000smile.gif

(Would prefer Nov 13, but will go with the flow -- 20th is birthday & may have family engagement...)

Sep 16, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #20 of 91
The 20th would be hard for me as I would have to take the week off. If there is a vote for a date, the Saturday after Thanksgiving would work best for me. That way I can do a Holiday and a Meeting in one long wknd. If it is set I understand. If any one wants me to send anything let me know.
Drew Baird
Moon Audio

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 16, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #22 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbrew
The 20th would be hard for me as I would have to take the week off. If there is a vote for a date, the Saturday after Thanksgiving would work best for me. That way I can do a Holiday and a Meeting in one long wknd. If it is set I understand.

The date is not firm yet, but I guess we should make it firm in the next day or so, so people can make plans. The 27th works for me but I don't think that's going to be a great date. People make plans for the long weekend and might not be able to attend. It works well for those who may be traveling to NY for the holiday but others may be leaving to visit family elsewhere and it probably won't work for those traveling from out of town (wmcmanus and Tuberoller come to mind). I certainly would like to accomodate you because it was great to have you at the last meet, but the date's just not practical, IMHO. The other date that makes sense is the 13th. It's still almost two months away so there's still time to plan and it's far enough away from the holidays that it shouldn't be an issue.

Since we already have about 15 people who seem to be OK with the 20th (romanee I see you would prefer the 13th), that will stay the tentative date. I'll give it another day or so to see if the 13th is better for everyone, otherwise it will stay the 20th. Of course this is dependent on finding a venue, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbrew
If any one wants me to send anything let me know.

Thanks very much for the offer. It looks like I've sort of become the de facto organizer (which is fine with me), although I will definitley be asking some of the meet veterans for advice. I may be contacting you for some of your fine cables, etc., soon.

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #23 of 91
the 13th, 14th, or 20th is fine here!

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #24 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
John, I didn't realize you moved to Maine. It will be nice to see you again, too.

Yup, I moved up here in Feb to help my Mom out. I'm from Maine originally and it feels like coming home after 27 years in NYC. But I do miss my pals and the MTA
smily_headphones1.gif

It sure will be good to take a weekend break and see the Head-Fi gang and catch up on all the gear.

John

Sep 16, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 91
As was mentioned briefly, to facilitate parking for those driving, is a Sunday viable or out of the question -- what are the considerations involved? Sunday would be Nov 21 or 14. (I'll take public transport, so the question is for motoring participants.)

If a site becomes available in Manhattan, drivers should still use extra caution in reading the parking signs. NYC is cash-hungry and Manhattan in particular has ever-trickier and often confusing parking rules signs -- sometimes a half block away from the new "muni-meters" where you buy your short-term parking sticker.

Sep 16, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
As was mentioned briefly, to facilitate parking for those driving, is a Sunday viable or out of the question -- what are the considerations involved? Sunday would be Nov 21 or 14. (I'll take public transport, so the question is for motoring participants.)

If the meet is in Manhattan, yes, a Sunday is easier for parking. As people have expressed a preference for Manhattan because of public transportation that is being considered. However, space is at a premium in Manhattan and unless somebody knows someone, or is a member of an organization that has space, I don't think we're going to find affordable meeting space.

That's not to say I won't try. I put a call into NYC & Company, the visitors and convention bureau, to see if they have any suggestions (beats making dozens of calls only to find out there is nothing available, but that's the next step). Of course I got voice-mail and if they don't smell money they probably won't call back. I'll have to keep bugging them. Even my school hasn't called back, but that's easier for me to go there and bug them. I have a feeling if I complain loud enough they'll help me out.

As for a Sunday meet in and of itself, if I'm going to be involved with organizing it, I'd rather it be on a Saturday. It's exhausting just going to a meet so with all the setup and breakdown it would be nice to have an extra day to recover.

Sep 17, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #27 of 91
Understood.

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #28 of 91
Count me in!
600smile.gif

Sep 17, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #30 of 91
Don't forget the MEECH !!!! (It would be nice to see you guys again)

I checked out a possible meet location for us the other day on 30th street in Manhattan. It turned out to be a total dump and it was way too small. It was like a kindergarden classroom and it had about 8 power outlets.'

I'm going to check out a rec room this weekend in an apartment building on 22nd street. I think this room is about 40 feet long by 20 feet wide. Max capacity is 60 people and I think the rate will be affordable. I'll take a look at it and let you guys know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back