IC (not an FS): Headphile Modded Grado HF-1s (Deep Paduak)
Feb 27, 2006 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello.

Long time since ive visited the FS forums, recently I have been considering some options and I decided it would be of my interest to see what interest there is in my cans.

These grado HF-1s which I own are #91. I heard the stock HF-1 and quite enjoyed them at the melbourne meet, and for a while had been intrigued on Headphile Mods, so I decided to get the full caboodle done to them.

The mods I got done to this Grado HF-1 were..

Deep Paduak Woody (2") the first of its kind, Deepest HF-1 ever (so far), Larry did tell me that he did a 2.5 inch SR-225 inch before, although he could not offer that to me.
Blackmax Cable 2.0m (the main change in the sound, a very balanced, neutral cable)
Stealth Mod Non-sound affecting mod, just for looks
smily_headphones1.gif
speaker cloth on the inside of the silver grille.
Wood 1/4 inch plug for looks of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Beyer headband *thanks StevieDVD*
wink.gif
I forgot

These mods cost me $382.

Pics!
j10tf.jpg

j27tg.jpg

j32oh.jpg

j40mr.jpg

There are many threads in the Headphones Forum on the sound of the Headphile HF-1s, my impressions are somewhat different due to the extra depth and blackmax cable, no doubt the extra depth expands the headstage, also changes the sonic reverb that most grados have, I find that it sounds quite neutral, and what is left is the nautral coloration of the driver.
I found the HF-1s actually more neutral than the MS-Pro, but less organic sounding, suiting electric guitars/electronica music quite favorably, the MS-Pro does justice to Acoustic, Jazz and Classical.

Right up there with the big guns, IMO.
Why am I considering selling them you might ask, well after alot of listening Im considering of just living with the KSC-35 for a while, which I really love! Out of all three cans, I listen to the music with the KSC-35 and I listen to the headphones with the other two (so it seems).
Also I have run into some financial turmoil, being pretty much out of work I have little income, and I have a Dynahi which I need to pay off and more CDs to buy
biggrin.gif

SOLD
Thankyou very much
Enverxis

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 20

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
Don't forget to mention that you have a nicer headband added as well (which one?).

Steve

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 20

adfinni

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry to go off topic, but i was wondering about the headband.

My HF-1's still arnt comfortable enough, and i was considering the DT-770 clip on headband. Us that what you have on yours ?
Or possibly the dt-100 headband cut up and stuck on.

thanks

ad

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 20

smooth

New Head-Fier
WOW, those look gorgeous!

I don't know much about hi-fi equipment and I don't even know what to offer you, but since this isn't a for sale thread, just an interest check, I'll let you know that I'm interested
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #6 of 20

evilgnome

100+ Head-Fier
Absolutely stunning. Probably out of my price range though.

Wish I could hear them.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 20

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
hmmm I remember talking to him about those when I traded my HF-1s. Those are deep as all get out. Bet the bass is good. that's a quality HHf-1 there. GL

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 20

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
All PM's replied.

So far alot of interest and asking for a price, but no offers as of yet, had one upfront that was nice, but the offerer withdrew after some re-thinking.

So if anyone else is interested still, chuck me a PM
smily_headphones1.gif

There has been a couple of questions about the bass.
I find it to be quite tame, albeit more than the MS-Pro.

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 20

mektarus

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry, these are way out of my league at this time (and, boy, am I ever sorry
frown.gif
). But I wanted to give you a "Damn, those are some hot cans" bump. Honestly, these might be the nicest looking headphones I've ever seen.

icon10.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 20

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
Another buyer has backed out, still availible.

Not looking for a rediculous asking price so dont be alarmed

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 20

swmtnbiker

Previously known as dpippel
I know this isn't a discussion forum, but DAMN those look awesome! The only thing that could make them better (IMO) is a genuine Grado leather headband. Too bad I'm poor right now or I'd be sending you a PM Enverxis.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 20

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
I know this isn't a discussion forum, but DAMN those look awesome! The only thing that could make them better (IMO) is a genuine Grado leather headband. Too bad I'm poor right now or I'd be sending you a PM Enverxis.

I did ask Larry if he could replace them with an RS-1 or MS-Pro frame, but he said he wouldnt give any up, he did offer me an SR-200 headband for an extra $75, I have a small head, so I saw that unnessacery.

Users who are viewing this thread