IC: Montreal, Quebec Meet!!!
Aug 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #92 of 139
Should we start an impressions thread or just post everything in here? For now I'll just continue in here.

As my first meet, and seeing as I had no previous experience with most of the gear there, these are my first impressions of everything:

My favorite setup was the 4 stax rigs in the corner of the room an hour or two into the meet. And of that, I loved the Sr-007 mkII! The HD800 was rather disappointing, as it didn't sound significantly better than my HD558 for the majority of the music I listened to, but one or two songs were quite spectacular. I liked the LCD2, and it sounded pretty much as I imagined. Both orthos I tried were moderately heavy, but far from uncomfortable as some reviews I've read seem to suggest. Also, none of the stax I heard were lacking in impact at all, don't know what people are talking about when they say they lack in that department. 

The binaural recordings were frankly amazing! Thanks to whoever brought them!

Quote:
I was just wondering who the guy with the camera was because it would be awesome if he would post all the pictures!

I believe that was flipper2gv.

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #93 of 139
Quote:
Should we start an impressions thread or just post everything in here? For now I'll just continue in here.

As my first meet, and seeing as I had no previous experience with most of the gear there, these are my first impressions of everything:

My favorite setup was the 4 stax rigs in the corner of the room an hour or two into the meet. And of that, I loved the Sr-007 mkII! The HD800 was rather disappointing, as it didn't sound significantly better than my HD558 for the majority of the music I listened to, but one or two songs were quite spectacular. I liked the LCD2, and it sounded pretty much as I imagined. Both orthos I tried were moderately heavy, but far from uncomfortable as some reviews I've read seem to suggest. Also, none of the stax I heard were lacking in impact at all, don't know what people are talking about when they say they lack in that department. 

My HD800/Mjolnir was absolutely awful for many things, but it was on my back-up amp due to my main amp being on repair. One person enjoyed them a lot though, with classical of course.

On a side note, my favourite Stax was the SR404's on Jonathan's rig. I was disappointed on the SR 007 rigs... the headphones can scale much higher than that. (I think Gabriel knows he may need a better dac :wink: ). My HD800/HE6 (and my previous LCD3) scale to higher levels than the Stax at the meet; however, the Stax can scale a notch above for sure.

I wish I had my amp for the meet!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #94 of 139

The binaural recordings were frankly amazing! Thanks to whoever brought them!

I was just wondering who the guy with the camera was because it would be awesome if he would post all the pictures!

I believe that was flipper2gv.

Yea... if you read into HD800 amp pairings, you'll see it can be very picky. Some amps will limit soundstage, have poor sound pairing, etc.
Even the hdvd800 doesn't pair well with it IMO.

And yea, I had a few lossless binaural recordings on me

My HD800/Mjolnir was absolutely awful for many things, but it was on my back-up amp due to my main amp being on repair. One person enjoyed them a lot though, with classical of course.

On a side note, my favourite Stax was the SR404's on Jonathan's rig. I was disappointed on the SR 007 rigs... the headphones can scale much higher than that. (I think Gabriel knows he may need a better dac :wink: ). My HD800/HE6 (and my previous LCD3) scale to higher levels than the Stax at the meet; however, the Stax can scale a notch above for sure.

I wish I had my amp for the meet!

Yea, my dac is too warm and heavy. Meanwhile the concerto running the rigs at the meet was VERY thin IMO.

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #95 of 139
Had a great time at the meet, it was nice to meet all of you. Thanks again to Lappy for setting us up in such a great place!

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #96 of 139
Quote:
Yea, my dac is too warm and heavy. Meanwhile the concerto running the rigs at the meet was VERY thin IMO.

Wait, someone had the concero? I would have liked to have tried that darn it. I was thinking of getting one as a secondary dac.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #97 of 139
I brought the original Concero to connect to my Stax. Back when I owned a Parasound 1500, I couldn't tell a difference between the two (http://www.head-fi.org/t/634760/resonessence-labs-concero-discussion-review-thead/495#post_9314759). I've yet to decided which of the two Concero filters I like better, but I think they're both an improvement over the 'native' mode. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #103 of 139
Late August isn't looking so great for me either, but I'm interested! We have another thread going here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/719330/2014-montreal-head-fi-meet

I think it would be best if we found somewhere less expensive and more headphone-friendly than a restaurant, though. :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #105 of 139
I'm more than interested in a meet...I actually had NO idea we had meetings here in Mtl!
Great news!
Hopefully there's one soon, you can count me in! I need to get my ears on some high-end amps and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back