IC: Colorado meet?
Jun 24, 2012 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
Well, it's summer and I'm wondering if anyone in CO is up for a meet. I don't have any connections and limited funds, but if possible, I think it would be cool if we could have another meet at the Westone factory, not on a Sunday  
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
rmaf october 12-14 canjam denver

Yes, of course there's always that. But the past few years, we've had local summer meets as well.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 15
This is true, and I for one much prefer the smaller meets to CanJam, which is pretty much just a sales pitch. No one ever tried to sell me anything at a local meet, and it was nice to get to swap gear around, which really isn't the case at RMAF.

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 15
I would definitely be in favor of this. I have enjoyed our meets immensely in the past, and I would definitely love to break out some of my new gear which now includes a glorious pair of LCD-2
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif

Quote:
This is true, and I for one much prefer the smaller meets to CanJam, which is pretty much just a sales pitch. No one ever tried to sell me anything at a local meet, and it was nice to get to swap gear around, which really isn't the case at RMAF.

Agreed. It's also nice in an intimate setting-- Unlike RMAF, it doesn't get so damned loud.

Doug, perhaps we could host it this year in Longmont? I think the Hawthorn next to the mall has rooms for rent. We could also rent a room at the rec center, which would actually be of decent size depending on how many people come. If it's anything like last year's turn out, it would be perfect.

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
I would definitely be in favor of this. I have enjoyed our meets immensely in the past, and I would definitely love to break out some of my new gear which now includes a glorious pair of LCD-2
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif

Agreed. It's also nice in an intimate setting-- Unlike RMAF, it doesn't get so damned loud.

Doug, perhaps we could host it this year in Longmont? I think the Hawthorn next to the mall has rooms for rent. We could also rent a room at the rec center, which would actually be of decent size depending on how many people come. If it's anything like last year's turn out, it would be perfect.

If it's like ~$100, I would be okay with that. I looked some places up and it was closer to ~$200 for 4 hours, but maybe that's normal. I've never rented a meeting room, and to be honest, most Hotels require that you be 21 to rent a room, and I doubt I could rent a whole meeting room being only 18. Anyone know how much the Red Lion was in Denver? I could at least pitch in some funds.

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Anyone know how much the Red Lion was in Denver? I could at least pitch in some funds.

It was $500 for the day and all of the other Denver-area hotels I previously looked into cost the same as well.

As for a Colorado meet, sorry but I won't be organizing another one. The Head-Fi contingent in Colorado isn't large enough to sustain meet costs for me.

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

It was $500 for the day and all of the other Denver-area hotels I previously looked into cost the same as well.

As for a Colorado meet, sorry but I won't be organizing another one. The Head-Fi contingent in Colorado isn't large enough to sustain meet costs for me.

Good to know, thanks.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
If it's like ~$100, I would be okay with that. I looked some places up and it was closer to ~$200 for 4 hours, but maybe that's normal. I've never rented a meeting room, and to be honest, most Hotels require that you be 21 to rent a room, and I doubt I could rent a whole meeting room being only 18. Anyone know how much the Red Lion was in Denver? I could at least pitch in some funds.

What if we hosted at one of our houses? I don't think it would be terribly difficult to clear out a space, say in my living or TV room.

Anybody know how much Westone cost last year?

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
What if we hosted at one of our houses? I don't think it would be terribly difficult to clear out a space, say in my living or TV room.

Anybody know how much Westone cost last year?

Eh, I think that would be too crowded maybe, and I believe Westone hosted the whole thing for us, or am I mistaken?

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 15
My understanding is that Westone hosted us for free, and even provided comestibles, which was mighty generous of them, imho.

If I could host I would but my house is teensy, and has a woeful number of electrical outlets. They didn't plan for meets back in the 1940's

Have you looked at churches / community centers, some of those have meeting rooms for low prices, maybe at a university or community college also?

Any other Hi-Fi or headphones manufacturers in Colorado? What about talking to one of the larger Hi-Fi retailers, like Listen Up! or someone.. 

Just throwing ideas out there.

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
My understanding is that Westone hosted us for free, and even provided comestibles, which was mighty generous of them, imho.

If I could host I would but my house is teensy, and has a woeful number of electrical outlets. They didn't plan for meets back in the 1940's

Have you looked at churches / community centers, some of those have meeting rooms for low prices, maybe at a university or community college also?

Any other Hi-Fi or headphones manufacturers in Colorado? What about talking to one of the larger Hi-Fi retailers, like Listen Up! or someone.. 

Just throwing ideas out there.

It was incredibly generous of them indeed. And to let us into their work rooms and give away a Westone 4? Yes, it was very nice of them to do that.

I don't think ListenUp would work since any space they have goes to display items, and the one in Boulder is pretty small. I didn't think of churches, that's a great idea. I know that Life Bridge Christian Church in Longmont has a few rooms. I should definitely look into that.

<Edit> The Hyatt Regency in Denver has a room for $200 a day which isn't bad at all, so if the church thing doesn't work out, I would be okay with the Hyatt.

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 15
I'd be moderately interested in this; Hyatt is a nice building too. AFAIK Embassy is cheaper though (if my work rents there, it's cheaper or donated :p). The Curtis is also nice.

Please not ListenUp in Boulder; worst parking ever. :xf_eek: The one on Evans is easier to get into, and probably bigger. Has anyone contacted them to ask if they'd even entertain the idea?

As far as community centers go - there's a lot of options in the metro area; have you looked at the bedroom communities? (Niwot, Broomfield, Brighton, Erie, etc)

Also, as far as other hi-fi makers:

Boulder Amps
PS Audio
Grace Design

are all in Boulder (and they're all fairly close to each other too, oddly). Feel like I'm forgetting another one too. Not sure if any of them would be up for it though; or how you'd go about asking (aside from really nicely). :p

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 15
Here is a thought.  I could probably host at my house.  I would have to work out what weekend since I have my kids most weekends.  It might have to be a Sunday.  We could chip in for some food and beverages.

FYI, I am near Boulder on the West side of Longmont near the Longmont airport.

Any interest?  And yes it would be prior to RMAF so lots of swapping of gear into different rigs.

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Here is a thought.  I could probably host at my house.  I would have to work out what weekend since I have my kids most weekends.  It might have to be a Sunday.  We could chip in for some food and beverages.

FYI, I am near Boulder on the West side of Longmont near the Longmont airport.

Any interest?  And yes it would be prior to RMAF so lots of swapping of gear into different rigs.

That would be awfully generous of you. If you're willing to do that, that could be a plan for sure. Any day would work for me as long as I know well enough in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back