iBasso T5 - A newly designed small portable. Specifications.
Nov 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #91 of 151
The T5 is one of my favorite portables, primarily due to its superb imaging and tonal accuracy. I use it primarily with my custom IEMs.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #92 of 151
I don't know if I was lucky or not... but something tragic happened today. The T5 was into it's 4th day of burning in and I was listening to Radiohead when it suddenly popped and went static hissing all the way. It was so bad my IE8s lost it's left driver. 2 months out of warranty. My ears hurt and it's been ringing ever since.

Tried switching the amp back on and off or charged it and this time with stock iPod earbuds and its still the same. Extremely loud static all the way with faint distorted music at the background. I don't know if I should count myself lucky to not have gone deaf or feel sad for my busted IE8s... Not a very good day I must say... :frowning2:

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #93 of 151
Oh man, sorry to hear. Contacted iBasso yet?

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #94 of 151
I emailed them regarding this and I'm looking at how they can solve it for me... It's fine that they can RMA their amp but I don't know what to do with my earphones. My ES5s are still with Westone for refit... :frowning2:

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #96 of 151
Quote:
I don't know if I was lucky or not... but something tragic happened today. The T5 was into it's 4th day of burning in and I was listening to Radiohead when it suddenly popped and went static hissing all the way. It was so bad my IE8s lost it's left driver. 2 months out of warranty. My ears hurt and it's been ringing ever since.

Tried switching the amp back on and off or charged it and this time with stock iPod earbuds and its still the same. Extremely loud static all the way with faint distorted music at the background. I don't know if I should count myself lucky to not have gone deaf or feel sad for my busted IE8s... Not a very good day I must say... :frowning2:

I wanted a T5 so much but this is causing me to change my mind. Hope you get better.
smile.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #97 of 151

Quote:
There is no question the D4 does a fine job and I enjoy the sound, with various op amps. But we can agree to disagree as I find the sound of the T5 different but no less in the the top end, transparency or clarity of the sound. I find the T5 to be very neutral and able to drive a number of phones with ease, which is surprising for such a small amp but then things have come a long ways in the last few years. Also musically, I find the T5 to be no less than the D4. IMO

Received mine and find it very dark.  Excellent full rich bass, but far too dark for the JH13s.  Like the old RSA Shadow I sold, which was also too dark.  Nowhere near as clear and transparent as either the Yulong D100 amp, or the DacPort or Pico Slim (though the last two are admittedly from memory).

Fairly nonplussed at present, but this hasn't burnt in yet. Can you comment on how the burn-in changes the sound?  I'm hoping it opens up and gains midrange and treble articulation.  And maybe tightens the bass a bit.  I'm feeling like all those ICs and OpAmps may not have been a good idea in such a little unit.  But as I said, it's only on about 40hrs burn-in.  

Re: HD25-1 II --- very good.  These are my wife's phones, so I don't use them much, but the T5 does an excellent job with them.  I find the difference between the Yulong D100 amp and the T5 to be quite tiny in this case.  They both drive them well, with good clarity, definition and bass.  Maybe the t5 is a tad thinner, but that's to be expected from not having a [size=small]Plitron[/size] torroid plugged into purified AC power.  Quite impressed by this actually - if you have the HD25 and want a commuter amp, I think this would be ideal.

But for my JH13s, I'm not yet convinced.  They may, may be getting better with burn-in, but I can't tell yet.  Maybe just placebo.  The Yulong is TONS more detailed (sometimes a bit on the harsh side, but still...)

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #98 of 151
this amp is truly great out of my desktop DAC but im just not getting the results i want through my j3. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #99 of 151
I found it needs around 200 hours to form the caps and for the sound to get the detail and transparency.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #100 of 151

Quote:
I found it needs around 200 hours to form the caps and for the sound to get the detail and transparency.

i have about 200 hours on it. i just think the j3 doesnt play nice with the ibasso. im so impressed by the t5 via my desktop dac that i bought a clip zip to see how it sounds. i may even go as far as ordering a t51/s:flo2 (something i said id never do again because of build quality) because i feel the t5 is that good. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #101 of 151
Quote:

Received mine and find it very dark.  Excellent full rich bass, but far too dark for the JH13s.  Like the old RSA Shadow I sold, which was also too dark.  Nowhere near as clear and transparent as either the Yulong D100 amp, or the DacPort or Pico Slim (though the last two are admittedly from memory).

Fairly nonplussed at present, but this hasn't burnt in yet. Can you comment on how the burn-in changes the sound?  I'm hoping it opens up and gains midrange and treble articulation.  And maybe tightens the bass a bit.  I'm feeling like all those ICs and OpAmps may not have been a good idea in such a little unit.  But as I said, it's only on about 40hrs burn-in.  

Please tell me how it performs after 100 or so hours. I only have until December 20th to order it and I'm dying to know how good it is after a good burn in.
Thanks!! 

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #102 of 151
I feel like this product may have been rushed to market.

Ibasso's a great company - I have and love the T3D, and have owned the T3 and the D4 previously and loved them both.

But what's with these stripes?  And the rubberized battery door that wont stay closed no matter what you do, so it's always sticking out?  And the inability to charge the unit and listen to it at the same time?  

Being fed from seriously good sources, I consistently preferred the T3D to the T5, and was shocked and embarrased for thinking so, but you have to go with your ears.  I'm going to go back to the Pico Slim, if I can find one - best iem amp I've ever heard, and I've owned the RSA Shadow, the Pico Slim, the iBasso D4, iBasso T3, iBasso T3d, Meier Corda HeadSix, Cmoy, and a few desktops.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #103 of 151
I should received mine in a day or two. Not sure I will like it if it turns out to be too dark for me either, by I keep my hope up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back